The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Roger Miller
Tyler Baum

San Francisco, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2000 2:31 pm    

Just wondering if anyone likes him as much as I do. Do you think he's overlooked as one of the great songwriters?

George Rozak

Braidwood, Illinois USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2000 7:14 pm    

I've always been a Roger Miller fan. Larry Sasser did an old Roger Miller song - "When Two Worlds Collide" - at the convention in St. Louis this year. That's always been one of my favorite Roger Miller tunes. Larry mentioned that Roger once told him that many of his songs were written with the steel guitar in mind and thus made some pretty good steel instrumentals.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2000 8:01 pm    

I agree that Roger Miller was a great song-writer. "When Two Worlds Collide" has always been one of my favorites too. But I don't think he was "overlooked"; I believe he made quite a bundle on his songs! Of course, he had large splashes with his 'novelty' type songs, which may have overshadowed his more "serious" songs, but I do think he was appreciated during his lifetime. But, hey, what do I know? Never met the man.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2000 8:22 pm    

For those of you that like Roger Miller, see if you can find an album of country songs he wrote where Buddy Emmons played steel on every song.

It is called "A trip in the Country". Incidently the tune, "When Two Worlds Collide" is on there and Buddy really does a great turn around on it.

I treasure this album as well as any I have ever bought. What is so delightful about it is, there is none of the "Dang me" stuff on there. Just beautiful songs that Roger wrote for other stars. And his singing was very serious and with much heart.

I just love it.

God rest Roger's soul,

carl

[This message was edited by C Dixon on 11 September 2000 at 09:22 PM.]

Dave Robbins

Cottontown, Tnn. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2000 7:22 pm    

"A Trip In The Country" is one of my favorites too! Check out the C6 ride Buddy takes on the "original" version of "Tall Tall Trees"
Roger was a great writer and entertainer.He and Buddy were a great combination on this album.

Dayna Wills

Sacramento, CA (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2000 8:47 pm    

I have always thought that one of the most interesting songs Roger ever did, (I'm assuming he wrote it) was Engine, Engine Number Nine. The way the song modulates in the bridge and come back again. Great tune. 'Course I loved all his novelty stuff.

------------------

Neil Hilton

Lexington, Kentucky
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2000 5:54 am    

you bet, as a little kid in the late 60's, sprinkled in with Hag and Buck, my mom & dad had the "Dang Me" album..... I sang along with all those songs for hours on end -

Remember my favorites of the novelty being "It takes all kinds to make a world" and "Private John Q" -- "I read it in the papers and see it on the television, everyone's a talkin' about World War III. But here I am a single boy, unemployed and everything, somebody better'd stop and worry about me!"

Alan Shank

Woodland, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2000 8:21 am    

I tried to find "A Trip in the Country" on Amazon and Border, but no luck. I found reference to it on the "All Music" site. Anybody know where I could find a copy?

I did order a CD called "Good Old Country" by Miller; it was only $4.97! How can you lose?

Cheers,
Alan Shank

Lynn Kasdorf

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2000 8:28 am    

Here is a nice writeup on Roger: http://imusic.com/showcase/country/rogermiller.html

I have an unopened copy of "Trip in the Country" which I have been holding off playing until I can transfer that first play onto CD. Gee- maybe it is worth some bux unopened...I sure wish this record would be released on CD.

------------------
"You call that thing a guitar?"

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2000 9:40 am    

Thank you Lynn, for that Link. I really enjoyed reading that. Only very rarely does someone come along like Roger Miller.

HIs kind, like Will Rogers, live in a world different from the rest of us I believe.

Yet as different as they are, they endear themselves to poeple like no one on earth.

Again, may our Precious Lord rest Roger's soul.

carl

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2000 6:15 pm    

Trip In The Country is on CD. The title of the CD is, "The Best Of Roger Miller Volume One: Country Tunesmith." This CD features all the selections on the Trip In The Country plus some that were on other albusms (with no PSG). I recommend it, expecially to the new/young Steelers.

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Alan Shank

Woodland, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2000 8:53 am    

Tried to find "...:Country Tunesmith." Nothing on Amazon.com. Listed at Borders.com, but as "unavailable" on both CD and cassette. Bummer!
Cheers,
Alan Shank

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2000 10:14 am    

Alan, I got my CD through my BMG record club. Have had it for 5 or 6 years. It was released on "Mercury" division of Polygram in 1991. Hope this helps.

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2000 5:15 pm    

My favorite quote on the liner notes on "A Trip In The Country" is:

"In the begining, I created heavenly and earthy songs"

Along with:

"I was always about 20 minutes ahead of my time"

There is some fun info and background on Roger at:
www.rogermiller.com

Oh yeah, I always loved this, too:

One of Roger's band members was asked one
time, "Does Roger ever sleep?" He replied, "I don't know, I've only
been with him three years."

[This message was edited by John Macy on 14 September 2000 at 06:20 PM.]

dwight dubie

Ottawa ont. canada
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2000 4:15 am    

There is a 3 CD box set available titled "King of the Road/Genius of" that has eveything that Roger recorded including "A Trip In the Country".CDNow has it for $35.US.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2000 1:44 am    

If Roger Miller was overlooked by anyone, it was of RM's choosing. He was a fabulously successful songwriter, and made oodles of money practically his entire career.

If being in the public eye is the criteria, he may have retreated from the notoriety he had in the 1960's in his later years, but he had absolutely nothing at all to worry about professionally up until his death.

I think that as he grew older, he purposely withdrew from the limelight, and just relied on his very successful publishing company to fund his creative life, like his Broadway musical, "Big River."

One of the great songwriters of all time, IMHO. And appreciators of talent: he had Buddy Emmons, Thumbs Carlisle, and Marty Allred in his band at the same time. A very powerful trio, fer sure.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Homesite

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2000 7:13 am    

Herbster, Roger was a man of taste for sure, his 1966 road band consisted of Gene Davis {voc, MC, bandleader, rhythm guitar}, Billy Graham {bass}, Thumbs {lead}, Glen D Hardin {piano} and ex-Cricket Jerry Allison drums.
Shame he didn't record with them.

I have to say that he cut the best novelty songs, and he had a great voice for all the styles he tackled.