The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who played PSG on an old Wynn Stewart LP?
Steve G

San Leandro, CA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2000 7:24 am    

I went to a flea market yesterday and picked up a copy of an old Wynn Stewart album called "Something Pretty". Let me tell you, it is. I was on the Telecaster Discussion Page and asked about the Tele player on this album and it seems that it was Clarence White. The only word to describe his playing is "awesome". But the PSG is featured considerably more prominently and it is sweet! I'm wondering if it is Ralph Mooney. It really sounds like someone who played with Buck Owens. There are alot of the same kind of signature licks. So what do you guys think, was it Mooney? That is some really nice E9 work.

Thanks
Steve G

PS For as great an artist as WS was and the influence he had on countless others (Hag for instance)he was certainly under appreciated by the music industry. IMHO

Steve Allison

Eatonton,Ga. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2000 8:01 am    

Correctomundo!
Old Moon at his very best on a Fender 1000
double 8 string pedal steel!
Just look at how good our equipment is today and we can hardly come close to the sounds we heard back in the good old days when the country was strong! (Sounds like a "Hag tune!"

Ray Cothren

Baton Rouge, LA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2000 10:05 am    

"Something Pretty" is one of the better albums Wynn did on Capitol. It was the fourth one (1968) out of ten. If you see his first Capitol LP at a flea market, "Songs of Wynn Stewart" (1965), you should buy it. Mooney on all tracks.

Ron Whitworth

Yuma,Ariz.USA Yeah they say it's a DRY heat !!
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2000 11:30 am    

WOW!! What a find.They just don't make country music any better than Wynn Stewart w/the incomparable Mr. Ralph Mooney on the steel.I will have to agree with Steve about how much better the equipment is today but the sounds are not very close.Think about that for a minute!! What has happened?? We have almost completely lost the raw edged pure country music that we all love.I know a lot of it is today's music industry attitude but something has to be said for the equipment also.. Ron

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2000 10:11 am    

I came to this thread because I was sure you’d be here, Ray. I hope all is well with you…

Wynn was not under appreciated by Merle. Merle once asked Wynn, “If you knew you could make me a star, would you?” The rest is history, because Merle was leading up to asking Wynn to let him record “Sing a Sad Song”. Wynn obliged and it became Merle’s first chart record.

In return, Merle stole two steelers and Roy Nichols. Or something like that.

------------------
HagFan

Kenny Forbess

peckerwood point, w. tn.
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2000 10:12 am    

did Sonny Curtiss play on some of wynn Stewart's stuff?

------------------
Kenny pf
Emmons Blue Belly