The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Female "Country singers" trying to be pop stars
Stephen Gregory

Post  Posted 7 Dec 1999 8:45 am    

What is with the trend by Nashville's hierarchy to try and develop EVERY female singer into a "pop star"? This question is of course rhetorical because we know the answer, the almighty dollar!! That still doesn't soothe the pain of listening to Faith, Martina, Shania and Co. trying to hold their own vocally with today's top "Pop" performers. This would also hold true conversely if Chaka Khan,Bradi, or others attempted to do country. Example.. Barbra and V.G.'s duet! Like the song say's... "Do what you do, do well boy" eh, I mean girl.

[This message was edited by Stephen Gregory on 12-07-99]

[This message was edited by Stephen Gregory on 12-07-99]

Pat Jenkins

Abingdon, VA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 1999 9:50 am    

Amen, Steve. You hit the nail on the head. Its that green stuff. It controls us all. Some of the ladies album work is a little quirky. One or two pop singles and then the rest is country. Sometimes. Great Gugamooga, Pat.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 1999 9:54 am    

Leann Rimes sounds so generic in her new hit "Who Cares". It's like she's lost her individual voice. Used to be, people would ask "Who's that great singer?" when they heard her. I would have never guessed on this one. I just assumed it was one of the wannabe chick singers.

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 1999 10:14 am    

Good points all the way around…

I don’t mind them trying to hold their own with today’s pop singers. I just wish they could do it someplace other than today’s “country” radio stations. What a scam!

At least they picked an appropriate title for Leann’s latest.

Many have heard my recurring complaint about the two country FM stations in Cincinnati playing the same material, rather than say one young country and one country country . Well the end of that may well be in sight. It’s interesting that the station billed as “Young Country” is now playing nothing but Christmas music—round the clock. I believe they’re all country artists, but I don’t listen much. It’s got my wife listening though, and I welcome that. Maybe she’ll forget to change the dial after Christmas. I wonder what’s next, after the holidays.

------------------
HagFan

Mike Tatro

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 1999 11:15 am    

Guys, this is a bit out from left field... but for some reason female singers in general don't really do it for me. I think because their voices are in a higher register that they don't have as much character to them (for lack of a better word). They all sound pretty much alike to me. Male voices just seem to have more natural variation and character to them. And, NO, I'm not gay!

Of course their are exceptions... Emmylou (ohmygod), Natalie Merchant and Tanita Tikaram are my three favs. The latter two have fairly deep voices and definitely ain't country, but I like them (mostly in small doses).

I just hate that thin whiny screechin' stuff that passes for female singing these days.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Dec 1999 5:04 am    

reba didn't even need a money-backing producer to make her do it.....she came up with the idea on her own......why?...i guess to make more money, but she hasn't gotten any of mine......i miss 'red roses won't work now' and 'invitation to the blues'. if there was ever a 'country from the heart' singer who wouldn't let me down, i thought she was going to be it, but.....

Danny Bentley

Hendersonville Tn
Post  Posted 8 Dec 1999 5:25 am    

I think the question is to make money or make more money? I know what my answer would be.

Bill cole

Cheektowaga, New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 1999 7:05 am    

The main word here is singer and most of the women I have heard the younger one's can't sing anyway so like LeAnn say's who cares one way or the other good Riddence get all thes young rock and roll players off the opry and put on some good music for a change

randy

shelbyville, illinois, usa
Post  Posted 8 Dec 1999 8:28 am    

I tend to cut Leanne some slack because of her age but I gotta say I'm gettin a little tired of finding out that that last song I heard, (sounding like I had the wrong station), was Leanne again. I bought her first album but someone said it earlier. the girl needs an identifiable sound or she will be relagated to specials and bubblegum tours.

whatever

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Dec 1999 9:28 am    

Female singers only??? The are a lot of Male singers that are no different.

I think "Chris Gaines" is the real Garth Brooks.........

------------------
--------------
Franklin D-10
Keep It Country, Hoss

Frank Venters

Peru,In,USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 1999 10:32 am    

I'm reading this story in the Kokomo Indiana Tribune. Headline is SHANIA TWAIN:BIG HIT. "She's a wonderful country singer and she plays the guitar as well".(So do I). "She's heard frequently on the radio". (Not mine). "The 34 year old country singer is very popular and on a few Internet sites it was stated that she was the "Queen of Country Music".(Not this site). "If you haven't heard any of her songs,then I suggest that you do; her new CD may change your view of Country Music". Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Hee! Hee! Hee! Ha1 Ha! Ha1, OH sorry guys I think I just wet my pants from laughing so hard, gotta go. 73... CUL (Last of the Honky Tonk Stardust Cowboys)

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 8 Dec 1999 10:47 am    

Martina and Shania can hold there own with anybody as singers. If you haven't noticed that Martina is an absolutly amazing singer you have your head up your a$$ !

My sister is a great jazz singer and she was the one that got me past all the goofy junk Shania does. I gotta admit- The woman can sing. On the Diva special on tv with those big pop singer gals Shania was taking prisoners. Strong and in tune.

With all the lame wannaba stars chick singers I work with it would be a joy to get to work with a singer with there talent and focus.

Although I don't look so good in silver pants....

Bob

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Dec 1999 5:15 pm    

Yes, greed is what ruins them all. There is nothing wrong with trying to better yourself; with trying to expand and improve what you do. But...if you're doing it just for more money...you have my sympathy.

All the modern-day stars (with very few exceptions) could use a reality check.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 1999 6:01 pm    

I cashed my reality check and discovered that I have a thousand friends, Donny. Now I feel like a millionaire. Isn't that rich?

kyle reid

Butte,Mt.usa
Post  Posted 8 Dec 1999 7:37 pm    

Do you remember when LeeAnne was on PTC and Gary Chapman asked her who her favorite singer was, She said "Prince" I knew then she was destined for greatness! maybe even Rap! ish,yuk,pew. kr

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 8 Dec 1999 9:31 pm    

I was up in the middle of the night a while back feeding the baby when I stumbled on the "Divas" program that Bob mentioned.

The credits were listing Maria Carey, Whitney Houston and....Shania Twain. I thought it would be a good watch to see just how much hubby Mutt did to her tuning/feel etc on records--how would she fair outside his studio world. I was really surprised--she did hold her own with that crew. I also remembered her first album before Mutt on Mercury was a solid, though fairly forgettable, country efort.

She is really more of a pop singer trying to be a country singer, but like her or hate her, she can sing.

I think Martina could hold her own also. Faith...welll..

[This message was edited by John Macy on 12-08-99]

Billy Jones

Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Dec 1999 11:55 pm    

Well pilgrims.. I remember when Ray Price tried to make the move and soon discovered he was a country boy. We can only blame ourselves. As good accomodating country folk, we adopted them just like the rockers, Exile, Alabama, Brooks etc. They used us and Nashville as a stepping stone to the big buck. But, if they fail, will we take 'em back?
I loved Sinatra and a lot of the other great pop singers of the past but I asked myself, was it really them that I liked so well or was it the music that made the so good?
(mouthy me)... Billy

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 9 Dec 1999 8:52 pm    

Bobby Lee..you are so right! I'm sorry to say this, but I'm glad you're not a "money millionaire". If you were, we would not have this type of a FORUM (it would look more like that "Steel Chat Zone").

And you're right about the friends. A few good friends are worth more than millions of greenbacks.

And you can take that to the bank!

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 1999 10:05 pm    

Bob,
I agree with you. You named only a couple of females that are making a mark in all fields of music history. They use steel guitar in the music scene that gets it out there to young people, maybe otherwise it would not be heard. It may not be called country, but it's being heard and hopefully will be carried on, no matter what type of music. I would hope no
matter what type of music it is, if you are a steel guitar player you will be inspired to play. Being able to hear it in all genres. WOW! That's what it's all about!

[This message was edited by Theresa Galbraith on 12-09-99]

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 10 Dec 1999 2:20 pm    

I don't know Bob, silver pants might look real good with that new Franklin .

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 10 Dec 1999 10:17 pm    

John,
Did you see that steel Jimmie Crawford is working on for himself ?
I think it was originally intended for Liberace !

Looks cool.

Bob

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 10 Dec 1999 10:23 pm    

Now, THAT would go with silver pants!

Nice Franklin, by the way, Bob.