The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bill Miller's take on what's in store for country music
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 22 Nov 1999 6:50 pm    

Bill Miller is a radio programming guy and a fan of real country music. He publishes a weekly newsletter, mainly for radio folk and musicians, with keen insight into what is good and not good happening to CM. This is an excerpt from this week's Blue Chip Radio Report.
quote:
It was a very bad week, maybe a fatal one, for country music.
Faith Hill's album "Breathe" sold 242,229 units in its first week on the market. It will debut at # 1 on Billboard's Top 200 Album Chart this week. Although it isn't a country album, it will also debut at # 1 on Billboard's Country chart. No woman, not even Shania Twain, has sold so many albums in one week while recording for a Nashville label. It's an ominous sign.
Faith's success will increase the pressure on other artists, especially female artists, who record in Nashville. The sales bar has been raised again and the only way to meet the challenge is to turn in a more pop/rock direction. That's where the teen buyers are and they're the people who drive platinum sales.
If you were surprised by the big names who were dropped from label rosters in the past 24 months, you may be stunned at the turnover in the next 24 months.
Country music has always been a niche format and it will continue to be one for the foreseeable future. The big sales numbers are racked up by only a few artists. Faith, Garth Brooks, Shania Twain, Dixie Chicks, etc., are good Nashville-based pop acts who have enormous non-country fan appeal.
These are pop artists, not country. There's no confusion as long as we make that distinction. They appeal to a segment of the country audience, but they are superstars because they sell to the young pop/rock audience.
Buying into the idea that country is "broadening its appeal" by marketing to a younger audience is balderdash. Country is a narrow market, always has been, probably always will be. It would be more accurate to say that pop/rock is "broadening its appeal" by marketing to the country audience.
Label heads, both in Nashville and those who oversee the Nashville labels in New York and L.A., seem to care only for sales figures. It's a ruthless, bottom line business. If they could sell platinum with an album of 5th graders shouting obscenities, many would be happy to slap it on a CD and call it "Country". The word "country" is simply a marketing position.
There's a lot of grumbling about the schlock being turned out on music row these days. But let's recognize that some very good pop/rock is being made- Faith Hill, for one, makes good pop/rock recordings. She sells to the pop audience, but she also appeals to a segment of the country audience.
Unfortunately, real country music has almost disappeared from the major labels. At the same time, those labels have greater marketing skills than ever before. If music row was interested in real country, business would still be booming, though platinum parties might not occur very often.
Frankly, there's probably too much outside money and influence involved to hope that we'll see a return to the music that inspired books, college courses, TV documentaries and movies.
Maybe that's a good thing. Maybe country has to be forced out of Nashville to survive.
The Music Business City turned its back on bluegrass years ago. Out of necessity, the genre's promotional base shifted to Owensboro, KY- away from the powerful influence of the accountants, bankers, lawyers and rock exiles. Bluegrass recovered and is thriving. Never have so many people bought bluegrass albums and attended bluegrass concerts. The future of bluegrass would be far less bright if Nashville was still a fiddle and banjo city.
It's a Telecaster town now. People talk less about great songs and more about great marketing campaigns. Platinum dreams are here to stay.

Interesting stuff...

------------------
members.aol.com/herbs10178/index.html

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 22 Nov 1999 7:38 pm    

Sadly it is.
Herb is it time to start having party's for sales of 10,000 or even 5000 on some obscure labels? of course then USA today would not give us any more coverage then the 5 lines on page 2 of todays life section about Doug Sahm.

------------------
"BUS" ICQ 44729047
www.geocities.com/nashville/3886

MLP

Post  Posted 22 Nov 1999 8:23 pm    

This is so sab, but so true. Kinda what I was saying in my reply in the "Country Music In The Future" thread. I guess it was inevitable, and have seen it comming for a few years now. Just refused to truely believe it. Too bad the allmighty $$$ is what dictates the direction things like this go.
Well we got New Country Music and a New Grand Ole Opry, what's next?? Maybe a New Country Music City is what is in store. Only time will tell I suppose.
Now what did I do with my Don Willians CD??

Enjoy,
Michael

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 22 Nov 1999 9:13 pm    

Janice: Most artists I know would be happy to have 10,000 units manufactured!

------------------
members.aol.com/herbs10178/index.html

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 22 Nov 1999 11:42 pm    

"Classic Country" is starting to make the what is hip lists in trendy fashion magazines. I don't know if this is good or bad......

Bob

John Egenes

Port Chalmers, New Zealand
Post  Posted 23 Nov 1999 6:58 am    

Herb,

Thanks for the post. Interesting take by Mr. Miller, though not exactly a surprise, no? He's summed up pretty concisely just what's going on in CM today.

I saw an interview with Clay Walker, a hat act of some renown. It was a lengthy interview, and in it he talked about market share, targeting audiences, demographic layouts, and all that. Never once did he speak to the music itself. It was all about how he had set about to sell himself to the public and how successful he was at it. This, from a person I might consider to be in the more mainstream of country music.

I've mentioned this before, but I'll say it again. If you want to see a genre of music that is alive and kicking, take in the Folk Alliance Conference in Cleveland, in January. Folk music has never been healthier, and has (IMO) never been better. I would not be surprised if, in a few years, our "country" type acts ended up within the folds of folk music, much as bluegrass has done. Folk now encompasses much of what I consider to be the best music on the planet, including tradition folk, world beat, singer/songwriters, and yes, country music (especially the old time variety).

It shows us that we need to use this internet thing for broadening our access to music (among other things) and to bypass the marketing giants who are getting bigger and bigger.

Mike Dennis

Stevens Point WI.
Post  Posted 23 Nov 1999 8:12 am    

For years now country music sales have been leading the market....
Rock music sales fell into a slump and even concert attendance is down.

What I think is going on, is that Nashville is creating a product that is being bought by those who do not like what they are hearing on Rock n Roll radio... There is a huge base of younger people that like country oriented pop... they can identify with it. Rock has too much anger in it.

The question now is ?

Will classic country radio that also provides a 20% mix of new country continue to grow in popularity.

I think it will.

Traditional country recordings will continue to be made on the small labels and will find there way on to the classic stations.

That is pretty much what is going on over at WDUX AM 800 here in my neck of the woods. I actually heard Asleep at the Wheel today and George Jones new release "Changes" mixed in with Johnny Cash and Faith Hill. This station is quickly becoming very popular here in Central Wisconsin.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 1999 9:00 am    

Does anyone know what Faith Hill's producer does to make her sound in tune on records? Every time I've heard her sing on TV, her pitch was so bad it was painful to listen to.

Some of her hit tunes are really obnoxious, too. I can't figure out why they sell.

I drove through the town of Talent, Oregon yesterday. A cop car pulled up along side of me, and on the side it said "Talent Police". It would be good to see that in Nashville. Maybe someday...

------------------
Bobby Lee www.b0b.com/products
Sierra Session S-12 E9th, Speedy West D-10, Sierra S-8 Lap

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 1999 1:00 pm    

Bobby Lee, that’s hilarious!

As far as Faith’s singing goes, with the $$’s were talking they’ve no doubt used the technology that the FBI uses to analyze “voice prints”, combined with some of our most sophisticated missile tracking algorithms. They just need to get her print and then they apply appropriate counter measures as she drifts flat to sharp and back again.

Hey, Miller is a good writer. Just when he has me beaten down, depressed and devoid of hope, he inserts a note of optimism. Of course, country music will not die because we’ve got folks like Dale Watson, Sara Evans, Lee Ann Womack, Daryl Singletary, … and Merle Haggard who won’t allow it to, nor will we its fans. Of course, the list is much, much bigger than I’ve allowed.

There has GOT to be a way to profit from our love of country music—a market neglected. I wish I were a risk taker, an entrepreneur, or just rich.

Like Bob eluded, it is apt to become trendy—a higher pedigree—to be more “country” than the masses.

Shania was in town last night. Of course, the morning country radio shows didn’t say word one about her music. No, instead the main item was the fact that she opened wearing silver hot pants; this despite her self-consciousness over her legs. (That makes as much sense as Dolly being self-conscious of her boobs.) Not to bash Shania, but there’s precious little attention paid to music and song with these new country circus acts. It’s more about special sex appeal, special effects, lights, theatrics and so forth.

(Oops! Had to fix 'er up a little. It's amazing what errors can result from a little cutting and pasting.)

[This message was edited by Ron Page on 11-23-99]

hhguitar

Blue Bell, PA USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 1999 5:16 pm    

Bill Miller's article is great. My only complaint.... how could he drag our beloved Telecasters into the pop/rock schmaltz catagory? He better talk to Buck Owens.

Bobby Lee,

I use Cubase VST24 in my studio. They're always sending me sales crap about their new "plug-ins". One of the plug-ins allows you to take an out of tune singer and move their off pitch notes to correct pitch. You can rest assured that the technology is there to correct anybody's pitch. You'd be amazed at how things are fixed up on recordings these days.

HH

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 1999 7:05 pm    

Pitch correction is done in real time now. That means that the voices of the "live" acts you hear on TV and in concert have been processed.

In the old days of 2 or 3 years ago, pitch correction was a slow job done a little at a time after the singer had gone home saying "screw you, I won't do another take; just fix it in Pro Tools."

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Nov 1999 4:14 pm    

Bobby Lee...I'm surprised at you!

Very pleased!

But surprised, nontheless.

Rich Paton

Santa Maria, CA.,
Post  Posted 24 Nov 1999 10:47 pm    

Perhaps it's not too late. What if everyone concerned with this wrote a letter voicing the issue to the offending label(s)?
One light down the tunnel is I hope this fact:
How long can the (?) market for this crap stand up?
I was in a Wherehouse music outlet recently, and the used CD section had literally copy paper sized boxes of Kenny G. and Michael Bolton trade-ins. I saw that as a glimmer of hope. No one really wanted it after all.
With the recent lower cost, but acceptable when properly utilized recording equipment available (adat, etc.) what about a shift away from the physical location of Nashville, and, or "special markets" labels? What's happening in that area of the "industry"?
It seems to me with so much information and downloads (streaming audio, viveo, mp3 etc. available over the internet, the feasibility of an end-run around the big labels shouldn't be out of the question. It doesn't seem we have to be a captive market anymore. Nowadays I can master a $1.50 CDR blank at home, on a PC and small inexpensive multitrack setup. That's amazing, and all with under a grand's worth of gear. Why should the talent be tied to the old establishment and or methodology?

I'm also curious, are you concerned about being able to obtain good new country material, or being able to work in the industry? Why not a new "home of Country Music"
A lot of good stuff has been done in Bakersfield and other places. I hear "The New Old Nashville in my head. Why not?
The only halfway decent "country" station around here (central Calif.) plays wild swings, between great older tunes and some form of noise, which has me jumping up to twist the dial. So who actually listens to that crap?
SOMETHING'S gotta give!
My $ .02 or $.03, that's all.