The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Willie & Waylon in Phoenix last night
Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 17 Nov 1999 12:28 pm    

Saw Willie for the first time last night, Waylon came out for a couple songs, also did two with the opening act some guy named Andy Griggs.Country rocker, had a steel player. The fat chick behind us really loved Andy.It was a nice venue 2000 maybe theater in the round. Waylon hobbled out using a cane&people helping him up on stage. Never been a real big Willie fan I don't dislike him.It was a nice show couple hours long, all the standard Willie stuff plus some nice stuff I hadn't heard before.He sure does get a nice sound on that guitar of his.A steel sure would be nice to hear and add alot to his music.He has two excellent guitarists with him.I just don't think of Willie as being country music tho, its just Willie music.Any way we went with a couple BIGSHOTS who got my wife and I on the bus after the show and got to meet Willie and got pictures with him. It was a good night out. Will

Mike Dennis

Stevens Point WI.
Post  Posted 17 Nov 1999 3:36 pm    

Ya... Willie has been known too be real accessible to the fans... and is usually signing autographs as Wylons bus is pulling out of the lot.... My friend Ruben got an autograph from Willie just a few months ago when he toured through Wisconsin.... and had a real one on one conversation with the man.

I saw Andy Griggs here in town last 4th of July.... I wasn't very impressed with the band.... or I should say.. the singer...

BJ Bailey

Jackson Ms,Hinds
Post  Posted 17 Nov 1999 11:17 pm    

Willie Nelson alway's look to me like he needed a bathe, Did he?

------------------

Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 18 Nov 1999 9:38 am    

BJ,I didn't notice, but my wife stood there talking to him for a couple minutes. Ya up close she thought he was pretty grubby.

Mike Dennis

Stevens Point WI.
Post  Posted 18 Nov 1999 4:22 pm    

Playin music is a grubby business guys.... after our gig last Saturday night I felt like I needed to wash a ton of bar room smoke and floor dirt and off my skin.
The lights and the room were hot and the air was stuffy.

man... why do I want to keep doin' this to myslef? :>))

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 19 Nov 1999 9:59 am    

Hey Will,
I've been a Willie fan for a lot of years but sort of fell off the wagon for a while when he stopped getting airplay which really wasn't a good reason. A couple of years ago we had him here in Southern Virginia at an outdoor thing called the Chesapeake Jubilee. Willie did about a three hour non stop show and when it was over he went to the bus for about 15 minutes to smoke a doobie or something and then came out and signed autographs until the very last person was satisfied! It renewed my interest in him again and I listen to him all the time now. We've had some headliners here (Namely Sawyer Brown) who just head for the bus and leave after the show. It really makes you appreciate the older entertainers. They seem more in touch with the fans.

------------------
Have a good one! JH U-12

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 1999 3:29 pm    

So Willie looks" grubby" because he has a beard and long hair?