The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Nice Ric 330-12 - trade for steel
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2005 2:22 pm    

I've got a really nice Jetglo black Rickenbacker 330-12 that was just professionally set up that I'd like to trade. I'm a steel neophyte, been down the Maverick road and need something "real". The Ric is worth around $1000-1200, so no Carter Starters, please (plus I'm 6'4 and need something I can extend the legs on...and advice on how that's done).

Looking for a solid 3+4 (or more) E9 setup that isn't finicky and will last me a long time. Appearance not as important as function - road warriors are fine with me, you should see my guitars!! I like a thick, fat tone and especially the tone of the old Fender 400's (of course that's out because of the setup).

Help a newbie! I'm going (back, sorta) to steel due to some arthritis problems messing with my left hand on guitar. Any advice on suitable guitars also welcome. Thanks.

[This message was edited by Jim Sliff on 22 June 2005 at 03:23 PM.]

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2005 3:12 pm    

Bobbe Seymour sells a kit to raise most any brand of steel. You might check to see what he has available on his site. www.steelguitar.net I am 6 foot 5 and I weigh 325 pounds so I ordered a steel from Bobbe that was already built over height from the factory. I actually played a Carter starter with a 3 inch kit on it that they sell and it was "ok". I wont bash the guitar on here, but I also wouldnt suggest one to anyone in all honesty.....James

[This message was edited by James Sission on 22 June 2005 at 04:12 PM.]

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2005 3:52 pm    

Yeah, I found out about their kit after I posted through pure chance. Still not overly interested in that one anyway, plus unless it was brand-spanking new it wwouldn't be a good $$ trade anyway.

Thanks for the note.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2005 4:31 pm    

Jim, I'm 6'5", and I've got a 2" lift kit I'll send you--two collars for the front legs, and 8-2" spacers for pedal rods(D-10).
Send me your address.
And you other tall guys, PLEASE let Jim have first shot, before you load me down!

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2005 10:55 am    

Thanks Steve, I appreciate the assist. Still hoping for a response or two - playing my dobro to keep busy. Picked up my D-28 last night and couldn't play a "C" chord - aarrgghh!

I have several b-bender guitars just sitting as well. Driving me nuts. Hopefully I'lll be able to play them some at some point.

Kinda rethinking the Carter Starter idea, wondering if that would keep be busy for a while during my "woodshed" period....but then again I'd much rather have something better right out of the chute and not get frustrated.

Pics added:

[This message was edited by Jim Sliff on 23 June 2005 at 12:21 PM.]

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 23 Jun 2005 12:06 pm    

Jim,

I remember when I started banjo. I bought a student banjo and was so disappointed because I was use to a Martin guitar. I would suggest that with your background in music you'd be disappointed with any student guitar. I'd hold out for a pro 10 string and get one you can grow into.

Russ

[This message was edited by Russ Tkac on 23 June 2005 at 01:09 PM.]

[This message was edited by Russ Tkac on 23 June 2005 at 01:10 PM.]

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2005 1:28 pm    

I have to agree. I had never even sat down at a steel, but I played lead for a few years and have strummed and sang for nearly 30 when I bought a Carter-Starter. As soon as I sat down at it, I was disappointed. Then, after about a week of learning chords on it, I made the mistake of sitting down at Russ Rickman’s Zumsteel,wow,what an axe. I went home and called Bobbe Seymour and ordered a GFI Ultra SD-10 almost right away.(Still waiting on it to arrive) Again, I wont beat up the carter starter, it may be right for some people. I was used to high quality instruments, so it was the wrong decision for me to buy the starter. In fact, the carter web site suggests that you "buy as much steel as you can afford". Looking back on it, I realize I should have given more thought to my purchase. BUT, All is well, it sold for 683 bucks on ebay, so I didn’t lose anything....James

Darryl Logue

Raytown, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2005 4:11 pm    

Jim would you be interested in a 70's MSA D10 good condition. Setup and adjusted by Russ Wever? What is the year of your Ric?

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2005 7:58 pm    

Sounds very interesting - do you have a pic or two you could email me?

The Ric is an 80 or 81 as far as I know. It has "TK 4821" on the jackplate - I'm not up on dating Rics. The setup is flawless and it has almost no wear. a couple small dings/scratches, but nothing major at all. No belt rash. Looks like it spent 99.9% of it's life in the case.

Darryl Logue

Raytown, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2005 9:09 pm    

Yes I have pictures.derailkc@comcast.net

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2005 9:47 pm    

Thanks Darryl - I just shot you an email to follow up on the pics.

Jim

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2005 2:10 pm    

Still looking for a kind soul who wants to make a swap. Anyone?

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2005 2:19 pm    

Still nothing firm in the works apparently, so still entertaining offers/ideas. I'm serious about the arthritis problem - 40 years of guitar playing is kaput right now, so I really want to get to an alternative asap.

>bump<

[This message was edited by Jim Sliff on 25 June 2005 at 05:10 PM.]

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2005 9:17 am    

Deal completed with Darry for an MSA D1- Classicl!

Thanks everyone who helped me figure this out - soon I'll be bugging you all for playing advice...hehe.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2005 5:42 pm    

NICE going guys!.. No loser in this deal.. I have owned, played and loved 4 MSA steels, 2 Ric 12 strings and 3 60's Ric 6 strings... These were among the VERY best instruments I have had the privelege to own and play... I miss them ALL... I think both you guys will be THRILLED with your new aquisition.... ENJOY!... bob