Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Possible Fraud!!!!!!!
Ron Frederiksen

Van Buren, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2005 6:53 pm    

Heres an E-Mail I got this morning

"johnson mugu" Add to Address Book
Subject: guiter

interestedin purchasing your ( guiter )pls tell me the present condition with your last offer for it,and your phone
number.expecting your urgent respons,the mode of payment is chasier check,also i will like you to give me your home address so that the
payment can be send to your location.if this mode of paymnet is ok by you please email me back.....

[This message was edited by Ron Frederiksen on 02 May 2005 at 07:54 PM.]

Ted Nesbitt

Northern Ireland
Post  Posted 3 May 2005 6:41 am    

Peter Anderson is a "First Rate Scammer"
give him the high numbers guys...10 - 10

George King

Woodlawn,Illinois
Post  Posted 3 May 2005 7:21 am    

I just received a suspicious email for an amp I have for sale.It sounds like the one Ron got, but it was from someone named Rita Ronald.I deleted it....George

Farris Currie

Ona, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 May 2005 4:29 pm    

I just forwarded 3 to BOBBY HUNTER,and to b0b from RITA

Bobby D. Hunter

USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2005 4:51 pm    

Ron Frederiksen posted an email purportly from one "Johnson Mugu." Here are two definitions of the (Nigerian/West African Tribal) word "Mugu:"

Noun: 'Mugu' is a term used by the Nigerian 419 scammers among themselves to describe their intended victims. Roughly translated this term mean "big fool".

This scammer is not calling himself a fool, he means that you, the intended Mark, is the fool, and he is the fooler. Furthermore, he is marking the email recipient, hence the "Forum" as his own territory. See the Verb definition below.

Verb: The 'mugu' is a calling card left by the spammers to mark a guestbook, Blog, or Forum, as harvested for email addresses. This is roughly analagous to a cat pissing on your tires to tell other cats that he owns your car - ie: "stay away from my turf, I own this Forum!" He wants other 419 scammers to stay out of his way until he gives up and moves on.

There is more information at 419Legal.org, where you can find all kinds of details about how these 419 gangs operate, their heirarchies, as well as the terms they use to describe their various operators, like the common worker-bees, known as "Guyman." These are usually the people who are making first contact with our members.

These thugs think they own our Forums because they harvested your email addresses from your Posts, and are scamming you from their huts or Internet Cafes, in Abuja, Lagos, or Victoria Island, Nigeria. They are at war among themselves, sometimes with bloody results, when they cross paths.

Consider this Mission Possible, with you as members of my MP team. Please Forward as Attachments any scam emails you receive from these idiots, or Mugus. Otherwise, copy and paste the Headers into a message and send it to me. I am a big cat too. I can piss back on them. I hunt Slimeball Game at night. Let me handle them.

This Forum is NOT MUGU.

------------------
Bobby D. Hunter
Security for SGF
Hunting down Slimeball Game
Reporting member of SpamCop

[This message was edited by Bobby D. Hunter on 03 May 2005 at 07:06 PM.]

Ron !

Post  Posted 3 May 2005 10:54 pm    

Guys,

here is the one my good friend Farris Currie got.
quote:
Farris Currie

Thanks for the mail,
I really love doing business with a learned and legit person like you.. Am pleased the price and conditions of the {vintage sho-bud volume pedal}.I will handle the shipping myself okay...Mean while,i will be travelling out of Florida next week to United kingdom base on business trips and i would'nt be back till in 2 weeks time.However, concerning the payment and shipping arrangement of the item...I have a business partner in {Tampa Florida } i will instruct him to issue $1550 out of the total money he ownes me..via a certisfied Money order check in U.s funds, drawn under United State banks tagged to your name... since am not arround i will instruct him to issue the money in your name and Address provided to me all because i will not entertain any delay on this transaction...

Moreso,immediately you received the money order from my partner,go and get it cash in your own banks or any banks very close to area....All because it take 24 to 48 hours certisfied money order to get cash up in any U.S. banks.As soon as you get the money order cashed, you will deducted your own part from the total money and remit the excess funds to {MY FREIGHT FORWARDER DATA`S }provide for you ..{VIA WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER} immediately i receive a notification from you that you have comfirm the receipt of payment.Inorder for the shipping arrangement to commences at your End.....

If this arrangement is okay by you and sound plesant to you , please do not hesitate to get back to me with your contact details such as {!}Name to be issued on check, {!!}Your full contact Address, {!!!}City, {!v}State,{v} Zipcode and {V!}Both your home and cell number} in which i can reach you on for any emangency information i want to get across to you..Above all i will want us to deal in utmost faith all because {BUSINESS IS ALL ABOUT TRUST}if you have any question please do ask,I look forward to your soonest reply.......
Best Wishes,
Rita Ronald..........

Just want to warn you about this one.But most of us already know.

Ron

------------------
Nikaro Steel Guitars
Nikaro SD10 4x6-Nikaro SD10 4x5-2Peavey 112 Ultra Tube.
nikarosteelguitars@planet.nl
European Steel Guitar Forum

[This message was edited by Ronald Steenwijk on 04 May 2005 at 12:11 AM.]

Ron Dodd

North Myrtle Beach SC
Post  Posted 4 May 2005 5:04 am    

My sister in Law received a simalar response
while trying to sell some fishing and diving
equiptment. She received the money order
when she took it to the bank she was informed
that it was counterfeit. They turned it over
to the proper folks.

Farris Currie

Post  Posted 4 May 2005 5:46 am    

this makes my blood boil,anyone got some funny money??i will deal with the bastards,and let my dog take care of the rest.sorry guys,just very pissed at the moment. farris

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2005 7:15 am    

Here's a fun way to mess with these scammers.

http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum11/HTML/007013.html

Brad

Farris Currie

Post  Posted 4 May 2005 10:17 am    

don;t bother sending it to anyone,they only get pissed off and send you a bad email!!
done tryed that,tryed to help, and everone got nasty about it. handle it yourself.
farris

Gary Harris

Hendersonville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2005 8:20 am    

A few years back prisoners in Louisiana were altering $1.00 U. S. money orders (they have great artists in there with a lot of time on their hands) to the tune of several hundred dollars. These do-gooders located on the outside who correspond with the prisoners would be asked to cash the money orders and send them the cash. One guy who thought he was corresponding with a beautiful babe (he received a picture) found out after he had cashed a money order for over seven hundred dollars,the babe was in fact a hardened male prisoner. The do-gooder had to pay back the seven hundred plus to the post office.
a male.

Ron Frederiksen

Van Buren, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2005 4:31 am    

Well I sent ("johnson mugu") my add and told him to come on down and get it, ( I didn't tell him what IT was tho ) but no-one ever came by and never did send me a check or hear from the skummm bagggg again. Guess he didn't want my guiter after all. Ron

"steelin is music to my ear"

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 6 May 2005 9:21 am    

i want to thank Bobby Hunter fer bein' on the case w: these nerds
we're lucky to have him w: us
looks like he's been successful in keepin' them buggers away
so listen to him & send him what you get
bobby sent me some info & links to help me identify scammers
works real good - i manage to identify their origin most every time

Bobby D. Hunter

USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2005 10:41 pm    

Thanks Crowbear, and all the other members who are helping me hunt Slimeball Game!

------------------
Bobby D. Hunter
Security for SGF

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 10 May 2005 3:13 pm    

You are just starting to get an idea how hard it is to sell just about anything on the web now without being offered checks... not just for steel guitars:
I got a friend who got the ill faithed idea to post his AC Cobra on a automobile trading site... he soon danced into my office with a big grin waving an even BIGER "certified" check at my face.. 300'000.oo Britsh Pounds for a car posted at Eur. 49'000.oo! I said STOP.
The next week the very same guy (you can tell, I have few friends) walks in again with an other cute looking check, this time a deposit for a house he is renting during the summer months here on the Costa Blanca (that's Spain)... " a Christian group, seeking a quiet place to praise the Lord". Haleluya! Same story... same ol' me telling the same guy "STOP".
A couple of months ago an other friend (yes, I actually have more than one) presented me a Manhattan Chase "certified check" for over (fasten your seat belts) 1Million United States Bucks, trying to convince me to deposit it for him on one of my US accounts... needless to tell you he ain't on my buddies list anymore (hey, Istill have one to go...).

I've always wondered if all these guys really (still) come for Nigeria and nearby countries. Why? I mean, why would others not have picked up on the ideas? Maybe some are just hiding behind the widespread believe that they have to be Nigerian.
BTW: It is only half way true that financial fraud is the only occupation in Nigeria: Statistics claim that (only ) about 50% of Nigeria's current foreign currency income is in fact from financial fraud... that could be a pretty impressive number anyway, which tells us a lot about how many fools are around.

... J-D.

Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 20 May 2005 8:08 am    

Why not put some real heat on these bums and set up a sting; when the guy comes to pick up the stuff bust him and see how many people are involved. Or better yet send him something that is totally worthless...Peter

Bobby D. Hunter

USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2005 9:30 am    

Peter asked;
quote:

Why not put some real heat on these bums and set up a sting;

Because, to be legal you would have to involve your local law enforcement, who would be unlikely to act based solely on your suspicions and the promise of a supposedly counterfit check. However, if the driver of the pickup vehicle is supposed to produce the (counterfit) check and collect the difference from you, and you can convince the local boys to be there, go for it. The problem would be finding grounds to arrest and detain the driver while the (in)validity of the check was ascertained. This can take from days to weeks.

What if the Courier driver works for a major US Bonded Carrier, like UPS or FedEx? Nobody is going to arrest him based on such a lack of evidence.

Most of the time the counterfit check or money order is sent from either Europe or Africa, in advance. The Guyman expects you to be greedy and rush out to cash it, then send him the refund by Western Union. If and when the pickup person arrives they will have nothing tying them to the check, which probably hasn't bounced yet, just a pickup order at your address.

You might have better luck if you live near a major market, where the crime rings actually have people on our soil doing the pickups. If so, you might possibly interest the Treasury Dept. in looking at the deal. Even if they lockup the pickup driver, his superiors all live in Nigeria or Amsterdam, well out of reach of our laws.

If you try it on your own, make sure you have plenty of backup and keep in mind that you may be dealing with a hardened foreign criminal, who is not a US Citizen, and may have very little to lose by offing you. Nigerians 419 fraudsters have been known to kill off, or severely beat up their "Marks," when they catch onto the scams (in Nigeria or The Netherlands) and threaten expose them in to local Nigerian or Danish authorities.

Really, it is far safer to let me do my work, by forwarding your scam emails to me, or to www.419legal.org, where they at least are in the general neighborhood, and can work with local African Authorities.

Please read this 419 Forum Alert about counterfit checks, at 419legal.org: http://www.419legal.org/viewtopic.php?t=643
------------------
Bobby D. Hunter
Security for SGF

[This message was edited by Bobby D. Hunter on 20 May 2005 at 10:46 AM.]

John Rickard

Phoenix (It's A Dry Heave) AZ
Post  Posted 20 May 2005 9:34 am    

Nobody ever comes for your stuff. All they want is your money order or bank check. It's pretty much a common sense issue, don't send anything to anyone until you have the money approved and in the bank.
JR

Robert Salomone

Carefree, Arizona
Post  Posted 20 May 2005 11:45 am    

Here's a link to a different slant involving these thieves. I don't necessarily recommend doing what the site espouses, but some of the exchanges, especially the scam baiting techniques and photos are amusing. http://www.419eater.com/index.htm

Bobby D. Hunter

USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2005 8:04 am    

419 baiters are usually responding to classic 419 scams, not kited check scams. The difference is that in a 419 scam the email contact is virtually random, accomplished by emailing the same letter to hundreds of thousands of email addresses from a CD. Since the initial contact is anonymous the baiter can assume a new identity, and a fresh, throwaway email account.

On the other hand, SGF members have had their emails addresses harvested directly from our forums, where the criminals behind these schemes already have access to your profiles, locations, and previous comments. It would be foolhardy to try to pull off a reverse scam when your personal details are readily available to be viewed by anybody.

The best course of action regarding this forum is to forward scam emails to me, as soon as they arrive, as attachments, so I will receive the complete original message, headers and all (the visible message body alone is useless - I need the source headers). I am slowly but surely banning them from viewing the SGF.

------------------
Bobby D. Hunter
Security for SGF

Ron Frederiksen

Van Buren, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2005 6:01 pm    

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I did receive two U.S.Postal money orders for $ 1,000 each. Ol MUGU wanted me to cash both of them and keep the $300.00 + 25.00 for my trouble, then wire the rest to him in Nigeria via WESTERN UNION. That way he has the cash out of your pocket. Needless to say, the M.O. were worth less than your used chewing gum.They are vary easy to spot, they do not have a water mark on them when you hold them up to a light and the ser. #'s are not right at all. Ya'll just keep your eyes open, and if its a "to good to be true deal", IT IS.!!!!He never sent anyone to pick up the guitar, but I have a bass guitar box with rocks, a bunch of monopoly cash and a picture of a bass in it. Be a shame to scam a scammer..If you get anything like that, send it to Bob... Ron

"steelin is music to my ear"

Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 27 May 2005 2:47 pm    

Yeah I got an email from one of these bozos just today wanting to buy my P/P Emmons and I don't even have it for sale. I told them to go ahead and send the money and wait for me to send the guitar. "Don't move, wait right where you are. The guitar will be on the way as soon as your CASH arrives." I wonder if they really think we're that stupid.

Rick