The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  For Sale: Sho-Bud D-10
Brian Edwards

Santa Fe, NM USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2005 10:47 am    

Late 60s/early 70s Sho-Bud D-10. This rather unusual model has seven pedals and three knee levers. Pedals 1-3 work the E9 neck and 4-7 work the C6 neck. Mike Cass recently rebuilt this one so that it plays beautifully. Cosmetically, it’s a bit of a beater, but it plays well and sounds great. The original pickups have been replaced with Jerry Wallace True Tones (original pickups included). The copedant is Emmons on the E9 neck. For the C6 neck, it was set up so that the fourth through seventh pedal correspond to the B-E pedals on an 8-pedal steel with 5 pedals devoted to the C6 neck. In effect, there is no “A” pedal on the C6 neck.

Including Mike Cass’ excellent work, I have about $1400 in this instrument, but I have decided that two pedal steels is one too many, so I am keeping my Emmons PP and will sell this. I would like to get $750. Local pickup preferred (Chicago area), but will ship for $75.00 (insured). In addition to the original pickups, I will include the case, an older Sho-Bud seat, a Boss Volume pedal, enough cables to connect you, the steel, and the volume pedal to an amp, and the plexi-glass music stand that fits behind the guitar.

Pictures and copendent available via email.

Jory Simmons

Elkhorn, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2005 11:27 am    

Brian you have Mail.JD

Daniel J. Cormier

Lake Charles, LA, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2005 1:41 pm    

Got the pics . Looks to be a Sho-Bud made right after Baldwin quit making the Crossover model. I had one and like it. It was a little smaller than the first Professional D-10 I had, but the tone was about the same.Mine had 7 pedals and 4 knee levers . I sent the pics to Brother Ricky Davis. Maybe he can shed some light on this fine peace of history

------------------
Daniel J. Cormier
Desert Rose Lacquer D-10
EVans FET 500 LV Sessions 400 Limited ,ProFex II http://www.cajunsteelguitar.com email at djcormier@cox-internet.com

[This message was edited by Daniel J. Cormier on 18 May 2005 at 02:49 PM.]

Jerry Malvern

Menifee, California, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2005 6:03 pm    

Brain, send me some pictures.

John Troutman

Washington, DC
Post  Posted 19 May 2005 1:55 pm    

Hi Brian:
I sent you an email.
Thanks,
John

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2005 5:19 pm    

Yes I saw this Sho-bud and a bit more history. After the Crossover mechanism with the design of the neck going around the changer; there were "distributed by Baldwin" Sho-bud D-10's that had the metal casing with the finger axle; like the professional soon to come out and this one Brian has is one of those.
It still has some stop brackets like the crossover; but he mechanism is not a crossover; but the body is still very similar; but these sounded much much better than the crossover and played a world better and....you ready for this??
This is the exact same kind of Sho-bud; that Shot and David Jackson; took the back guts out and put a pad there; for Lloyd's Sho-bud he had that began the proto-type for the LDG. Lloyd gave that Sho-bud back to Shot and David re-assembled the back neck on it and sold it and nobody knows where that one is(and this is not it..ha); but Lloyd Green always said this particular Sho-bud was the best sounding one he ever had and Tommy White said the same thing.
So there ya go; and you can send the consultation check to my address....ha..
Ricky

Brian Edwards

Santa Fe, NM USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2005 6:57 pm    

Ricky:

Thanks for the historical background. When I first purchased the guitar, I had no idea of its lineage, other than it seeming to have some characteristics of the older Crossover and some characteristics of the later Professional.

In any event, the guitar has been sold, so this thread can be closed.