The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  1952 Fender Custom Triple 8
Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2005 11:10 am    

After much deliberation, and in order to help finance the MSA Pedal Steel I just purchased, I have decided to sell the 1952 Fender Custom Triple 8 lap steel I purchased recently.

The Steel is in beautiful condition and has a unique wood grain finish. The lap was inspected and signed off by Tadeo Gomez in May of 1952. Everything is original and has the original case.

I will be selling it by silent auction. Please email me for pictures and with your offer. I will entertain offers for one week and if I don’t receive a high enough offer, I will sell it on Ebay after next week.

Basically, I don't want to sell it, but I know that when my pedal arrives, I'm going to have no free time to play the triple 8 and I want it to go to someone who will really be able to take advantage of this vintage jewel.

Thanks for your consideration.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2005 12:07 pm    

Here is a link to pictures of the Custom:
http://www.theonehundredclub.org/fenderpics.htm

You also get to see my yellow lab, Assisi who is not for sale.

[This message was edited by Bill McCloskey on 04 April 2005 at 01:09 PM.]

Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2005 5:17 pm    

Beautiful Steel, Bill.

Is it camera paralax or is that body bent downward at the tuners end of the players-side neck; And would such a bend interfere with playing that neck? The picture appears to concur that the bridge and nut planes' on the player's-side neck are misaligned in concurrance with a concave bottom edge of the entire body on the tuners' end. The shadow of the body also looks bent while the "stair stepper" on the floor in the right paralax field looks straight. A straight edge placed on that tuners' end of the body, ...and eyeballing the player-side neck's bridge and nut plane alignment should easily determine if it's camera paralax or not.

In any event, for my curiosity's sake; Seems to me that were it actually bent like that, it shouldn't make much difference at all in playing since the bar would not see such a slight twist in the string plane. Maybe it's not uncommon on old 3 and 4 neck Steels? Anyone think similarly or know differently?

Aloha,
Denny T~

[This message was edited by Denny Turner on 05 April 2005 at 06:18 PM.]

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2005 4:25 am    

Denny,

I'm not sure exactly what you are talking about or what you are seeing, but there is no interference with playing and no bend in the body. It is in perfect shape. What ever you are seeing is a result of my poor camera skills. This steel is built like a tank and plays beautifully.

Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2005 3:36 am    

Thanks Bill.

I don't know how much more simply / accurately desriptive I could have been; Holding a large letter envelope edge up to the places I described clearly shows the PICTURE oddities. I'm glad it was the picture and not the guitar.

Aloha,
DT~

[This message was edited by Denny Turner on 07 April 2005 at 04:39 AM.]

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2005 5:21 am    

Denny,

If you are talking about the slight tapering or downward sloop towards the tuning pegs, that is part of the design of the guitar. Each neck starts to taper at the nut so that the tuning pegs themselves have a slight downward tilt. That is the way they were designed.

John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2005 11:32 pm    

Except for PSG’s with Aluminum Keyheads, almost all steel~guitars slope downward from the Nut to the end of the neck! That helps to put downward pressure over the Nut! That’s perfectly normal!

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
’49-’50 Fender T–8 Custom
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15” Eminence

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2005 4:09 pm    

One last bump before it goes to the highest bidder.

Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2005 10:28 pm    

Thank You Bill and John.

No, I was talking about the bottom surface of the guitar at the tuners' end; ...apparant in the picture shot of that end and confirmed with a straight edge placed on my flat monitor screen, and also reflected in the guitar's shadow on the wall, with corresponding tilt of the inside neck's nut top plane and slightly less tilt of the same neck's bridge top plane. On the right lower side of that end view, the case on the floor looks straight without camera paralax where any paralax should be it's worst, ...which led me to ask. Since Bill reports that the guitar isn't "bent" then I would guess that the camera lens might have a slight holiday near it's center that bent the light and made the guitar body look concave and string plane look similarly tilted.

Aloha,
DT~

[This message was edited by Denny Turner on 12 April 2005 at 11:34 PM.]

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2005 1:34 am    

Denny~ I can see what you mean in the "End Shot" of the guitar it looks like years of pressure on the bottom neck have bent it downwards !! STRANGE...

------------------
Quote:
Steel players do it without fretting

http://www.waikiki-islanders.com

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2005 7:38 am    

Sale is closed pending payment. Please close this thread Bob.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2005 7:43 am    

BTW, Denny, still not seeing what you are seeing but just to make sure I just laid a level across each end and its straight as an arrow.

Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2005 7:54 am    

Once you said it was straight, Bill, ...there was never any doubt in my mind. I even spent some time with the picture just to try and figure out for curiosity's sake where the paralax came from, ...thus my previous reply.

Aloha,
DT~