The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  trade Fessenden D10 for Nice sho bud
Bill Myers

Camp Hill, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2005 12:46 pm    

I have a nice fessenden d10 with 8 pedals and 4 knees that I would like to trade for a sho bud pro II or pro III. The fessy needs about 5 bellcranks to complete the c6 setup. The guitar plays and sounds great, but I just have it in my head that I'd like to have a nice sho bud. I have pics available and can send. Thanks

Willie Crisel

Charlotte, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2005 1:47 pm    

i have a nice pro 2 8 and 7,,,i might be willing to trade,,,mine is about a 74 or 75 has triple raise double lower,narrow pedals,rounded frount,,could be older,looks like it was taken to the shobud factory,and under carriage was updated,verry cleane,with a few minor finish cracks,and a few dings,,steel guitar nashville has one that looks just like it,,but bobby has a professional insted,same color,,,,what year is your guitar?

Bill Myers

Post  Posted 2 Mar 2005 2:50 pm    

I don't know the exact year, but it is an earlier one. I am told that the pickups were wound by Danny Shields. The guitar is red mica and the necks are cast. If you want some pics, I'll be glad to get them out to you.

[This message was edited by Bill Myers on 02 March 2005 at 06:22 PM.]

[This message was edited by Bill Myers on 02 March 2005 at 06:28 PM.]

[This message was edited by Bill Myers on 02 March 2005 at 06:29 PM.]

[This message was edited by Bill Myers on 02 March 2005 at 06:34 PM.]

Bill Myers

Post  Posted 2 Mar 2005 6:30 pm    

I tried to get the image to come up....here is a link...
http://www.pbase.com/billm67/image/40371008 http://www.pbase.com/billm67/image/40371056 http://www.pbase.com/billm67/image/40371077

[This message was edited by Bill Myers on 02 March 2005 at 06:33 PM.]

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2005 6:27 am    

Bill, why would you ever get rid of a beautiful Fessy like that? I have a U-12, same red color as yours, and I would never part with it for a million bucks. I got it from Bobbe a couple months ago and seriously fell in love with it immediately.

IMHO, these steels are terrific! I've owned a couple MCIs, a ShoBud Super Pro, and an MSA (and even a couple junkers I won't mention) (all U-12s) since the early 70s and I think the Fessy is much better in every way than any of them. I think the tone has the Emmons type mids and lows, and the ShoBud silky highs....hard to describe...but it's balance from the low frets to the highest frets is very, very consistent. No hot spots, or drop-outs....just pure, sweet tone.

Of course, a guitar is a very personal decision, and I don't mean to sound like a salesman (god forbid!!), but I would encourage you to think long and hard about giving it up. I think you might regret it down the road as so many pickers have with other steels.

At any rate, only you know what's best for you and I wish you the very best whichever way you go.

Bill Myers

Post  Posted 4 Mar 2005 6:50 am    

Mike, I agree with you about the Fessenden being a first class guitar. Believe me...the Fessy doesn't give up anything. It sounds great and plays like butter. But there is something about a Sho-Bud with that clear finish that lets that wood show through. I think that there are alot of great guitar out there today....but once they started putting mica on them, they lost some of the charachter of the guitar. When you look at an old Bud you can just see how the people that built those guitars must have really loved building them. From the gorgueos wood that was chosen for them to how durable the mechanisms in those guitars were/still are. To me they are classics...It's like the difference between a 63 corvettte and a 2003 corvette...The 2003 might be faster and might handle better but the 63 is still a wonderful car too.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2005 8:29 am    

You know Bill, you're right about the finish. I would be in heaven on earth if my Fessy had a finish like some of those old Sho-Buds. Now it requires a custom shop to produce that kind of look. Too bad.

So, I understand you point of view better now, and I say go for it. Find that Bud!! (by the way, if you no longer have a use for that old, used Fessy, you can send it to me...maybe I can find a use for it somewhere...lol)

Best of luck, Bill

Drew Howard

Post  Posted 4 Mar 2005 8:35 am    

Red Fessy's rule!

------------------

Drew Howard - website - Fessy D-10 8/8, Magnatone S-8, N400's, BOSS RV-3

Bill Myers

Post  Posted 4 Mar 2005 9:52 am    

You know you are right about the custom shop....It's a shame that it cost so much extra...but the truth of it is, I think a new mica guitar sounds better than a new lacquer guitar. It takes the lacquer 20 or 30 years to really cure and shrink up and sound good.

------------------
Fessenden D10, Fender Twin and various Fender and G&L Guitars

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2005 3:25 am    

Right on, Drew! I heard somewhere that the Red Fessys only went to the most handsome pickers....not sure where I got that?!?!?!

Yeah, Bill you're right again. Back in the late 70s my band used to be a "test bed" for Martin acoustic guitars...they would send us prototypes of new designs and we would play the heck out of them for 3 to 6 months, then give a report of our experiences. They always sounded stiff at first. Not much warmth. Then I decided to "pre-age" them by putting them on a big stereo speaker and playing music thru it for a week non-stop (the Martin guys got a big kick out of that). It was amazing how much the tone mellowed out. The guitars would sound almost as good as our 15 year old Martins.

So your comments about the lacquer aging is correct. Hmmmmm.....maybe a big stereo speaker....strapped to the steel then.......Hmmmmmm.....

------------------
Every day is a Great day,
Mike
(aka Sideman)