The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Cross Yer Fingers!!!
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2004 12:18 pm    

Re: Damaged in Transit...

I have two steels on their way to me this week, one from Nashville, one from Oklahoma, on thier way to Portland, Oregon.
One is coming by UPS, and one is coming by FedEx.
I'll let you know how it turns out!

Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2004 12:30 pm    

Pete, I'll say a prayer...jc

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2004 3:54 am    

Pete what steels might these be?

Larry Behm

James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2004 5:04 am    

Pete, Who is the carrier? Maybe the whole steel community needs to hold up bic lighters this evening to help "push them through".

James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2004 5:36 am    

I hope your steels arrive safely, Pete.

[This message was edited by James Morehead on 29 July 2004 at 08:13 AM.]

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2004 6:43 am    

Larry,
One steel is my first steel, a Sho-Bud Pro-1, which I had Duane Marrs convert from it's original 3x1 setup, to an S10U 7x5 using all Duane Marrs undercarrige parts.
Should be cool!

The other, well... I was listening to some Sneaky Pete stuff, Flying Burrito Bros and his solo alblums, and was thinking how I would like to get an old Fender pedal steel one of these days as a means to experiment with that unique tone.
Then I see a post on this forum last week from a guy selling some 80 steels including several Fenders, so I bought a Fender 400 from this gentleman.
I'm told this particular Sunburst Fender 400 is a 9.5 on a scale of 10, and was assured that it is functional enough to play live gigs with (I hope this is true).
I'm hoping it will look like this one (although I'm told the one I'm getting has the black heavey duty pedals). http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33039&item=3736787295&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I just tracked these steels and the Fender is at Salt Lake City, scheduled to arrive tomorrow. The Sho-Bud says it left Nashville on the 27th and should arrive on the 31st, but doesn't show detail of where it is today.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2004 5:48 pm    

Hi Pete, just for your info I have just bought a 02 Zum off Pat Ickes in California and I used Bax Global to ship the guitar out to New Zealand. The guitar was in a Dell wheeled roadcase and it arrived without a scratch on it. Pretty reasonable price as well - $187 USD for insured air freight.. and that was door to door, they took care of the customs paperwork etc as well.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2004 11:19 am    

The Fender 400 has arrived!

The box looked fine.
I unpacked it and set it up and tuned it up (G#, F#, Eb, B, G#, F#, Eb, B) and it sounds like a Fender!

Needs new strings of course.
The pedals need a total setup, I see a few scratches and dings (ie. added character), but it looks cool!
The case looks great too (and has a nice Fender logo on it).

I have a project!

Thanks, Bill!
Pete B.

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2004 11:51 am    

who brought the Fender Pete ? Fedex or UPS ?
10$ says the goods arrive in good shape w: Fedex

ebb

nj
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2004 12:23 pm    

is it a 9.5 out of 10

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2004 4:10 pm    

This one came by UPS.
(The Fedex box should arrive tomorrow).
I asked the driver if he wanted to wait while I unpacked it. He said "No, you'll have to file a claim either way if there's a problem".
Nice guy.
The box integrety looked perfectly fine (I did give it the once over while he was standing there).
And the case came out of the box looking perfectly fine (these steels have a cool looking case, by the way).

Ebb, The guitar arrived with the strings loose, so I didn't know what tuning it had on it, and the pedals all do something, but it doesn't make any sence to me.
But I knew I would have to set up the pedals completely anyway (the pedal situation was not part of the 9.5 rating, although I was assured it was playable for on-stage use).
The 9.5 out of 10 was in reference to cosmetic appearance (Bill looked at it fairly quickly while we were on the phone, it wasn't a fine tooth comb 9.5, I think more of a liquidation 9.5).
From across the room, I can see where someone might call this a 9.5, but if I were selling this one instrument (as opposed to 80) I would probably call it an 8 out of 10, because there are a few gouges in the pedal board (down to wood) and a few blems on the deck of the body as well (looks to be mainly from use, not abuse, as we all know, shite happens to our steels).
I probably would have bought this steel with the same enthusiasm if I were told 8 out of 10, as I believe this to be a good rating.

All in all (and I gotta tell ya, I lost some sleep over this one this week, ie. Buyers Remorse) I'm satisfied with this steel!
The changer looks to be the best design of the ones I've seen, so I expect it will play in tune in a band situation.

[This message was edited by Pete Burak on 30 July 2004 at 05:14 PM.]

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2004 1:20 pm    

The Sho Bud arrived via FedEx.
No problem!
The box looked fine.

So there you have it.
Crossing your fingers works.

I would say that both packages arrived in the same amount of time (5 days each) in the exact same condition (both looked like they had seen a little action, but no obvious abuse), one by FedEx, one by UPS.

Go Figer?

O.K.
I can exhale now.

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2004 7:02 am    

Pete thanks for the use of your Session last night. The S10 Bud U12 sounded just like you said it would, I could here you in the parking lot as I was leaving. Lots of steel, I love it.

The songs we played were not steel friendly so I basically just showed up for the gig and took my money, it was still green even though I didn't earn it.

Larry Behm

Mike Bowles

Princeton, West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2004 8:45 am    

pete im sitting here waiting on a new steel too it is coming ups i just heard something hit the porch hard and i dont own any dogs i sure hope it wasnt my new mullen i will keep my fingers crossed mike

Mike Bowles

Post  Posted 4 Aug 2004 8:53 am    

that was my new mullen cross yer fingers box has several small holes mike

William Peters

Effort, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2004 2:51 pm    

Mike,

Check your case over carefully, as well as the guitar. When my new Mullen arrived a couple of weeks ago, the outer cardboard box looked ok, but the end was broken out of the case. The guitar was not damaged, but the case is. My new cased is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

Mike Bowles

Post  Posted 4 Aug 2004 3:35 pm    

everything was ok. the guitar and the case were fine. it's a very nice looking guitar and i only wish i could do it justice. it sounds great through my nv 1000. haven't got my profex yet but it's on it's way.i want more but if i order anything else i may need help with my funeral expenses!!!!
Mike From Mullens