The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gosdin
rick w

smithfield,n.c.
Post  Posted 3 Sep 1999 6:56 am    

The group that Im starting in does alot of VERN GOSDIN. Does anyone have any tabs of his songs. Who is the steeler/ I like his style.

Jss

Post  Posted 5 Sep 1999 9:04 am    

Rick, The steel player on most of Vern Gosdins records was Big Jim Vest. I think Paul did one called In the Garden? but Vest did far and away most of them. I don't know about any tab available. Just two things I can clue you about. (1) Jim doesn't use a
"C" pedal like most of us do. He has A and B and raqises the E to F# on a knee lever. When he plays he often adds the 10th sting paralell to whatever he is playing with his two fingers in the treble end of the range. If he were to play a line on say stringd 3and 5 he would be also adding the 10th string on there as well. The thing is, because he uses A&B polus a knee to raise the 4th string he gets what to most guys would be a B&C lick with the 10th string raised also. You're best bet is to just play the 3&5 in this case and forgewt the 10th. He also often detunes his 10th string to where when you raise it with the A pedal it is 1 octave below the rarsed 6th string (A) note. That's how he did "Set 'Em Up Joe" as well as Paycheck's Slide Of Your Satin Sheets. Hope this helps- Good Luck! JSS

Eddie Lange

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 5 Sep 1999 2:09 pm    

Jim Vest's intro to This Ain't My First Rodeo is awesome.

------------------
The Young Steelkid