The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  how does everyone feal about a ZUM steel the good and bad i
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2012 12:58 pm    

I love trying different guitars. Over the years, I've had most all of the major brands. The oldest one in the "herd" is my Zum, and it is on the "do not sell" list. Plays great, sounds great, and Bruce is great to deal with.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2012 2:30 pm    

I've been playing ZUM's for about 12 years, after driving a MCI D10 for 20 ! There is not one negative thing about these guitars... they play perfectly, are totally stable tuning wise, and the finish and mechanics are as good as it gets.

I got Bruce to build me a new Zum Hybrid in 2008 and I am currently playing this guitar on the nationwide "Thats Country" tour as we speak ... !

Bruce Zumsteg is a wonderful bloke who stands behind his guitars as if he still owns them (I guess he does hehe) ... he is also continues to innovate and this shows in his guitars.

I had three at one stage but the oldest teal/black one has gone to a new home in Aussie !

Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2012 4:10 pm    

paddy is very spoiled...

blue zums have the magic..
one good thing about a zum is that there is just enough
room behind it for a dobro!

Roger Evilsizor

Urbana, OH
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2012 5:48 pm    

LOVE my '01 SD10. After deciding to get back into music (sold all my gear and stayed away for 11 years), I got 'the bug' to pick again. Dealing with Bruce was definitely a pleasure. He is simply THE BEST. My ZUM is the easiest to play and the BEST sounding pedal steel I've ever sat behind. After reading everyone's comments, I have to agree that the ZUM FITS the player. The only negative thing I can think of is that I can't provide enough positive comments about the ZUMSTEEL OR BRUCE. Roger Evilsizor

Gianni Gori

Livorno, Italy
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2012 3:58 am    

I do love mine!
Easy to play and sounds like a dream...
A blue dream! Very Happy

Zum D-10 9x8, MSA S-10 4x5, Quilter Steelaire combo, Peavey Nashville 112 (w/Ken Fox mod & Jensen Neo), Hilton volume pedals, Sarno Tonic Preamp, Lexicon MPX-1

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2012 11:17 pm    

I don't own a Zum, but am always impressed with everything about them when I get to play one. They seem to have a big, ballsy VOICE, you barely touch the strings and this big tone just jumps out, that's exactly what I want in PSG tone. Many other brands have a kind of OK, bland, nothing special voice. The Zum shouts!

My only quibble is a design thing: that front apron with the "v" design, optically makes the guitar look like it's sagging.

And I do favor later Zums with the single blade bell crank, similar to Mullens, makes complex setups very easy without having to bend rods to get where they're going.

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2012 1:59 pm    

I have a mid 80's Zum D10 that I got from Duane Denard. I used it for years and I still have it. Great workhorse. Highly recommended.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2012 6:34 pm    

Had my Zum U-12 since 2003 and will never part with it. Enough said.....

Lenny

Jeffery Mercer

Born in Portsmouth Oh. Dec. 10th 1954 Reside in City of Mentor, in Northeast Oh.
Post  Posted 24 May 2024 4:18 am     Will “NEVER” Sell

Just purchased my 1st ZUM Pedal Steel In my opinion there the Best Pedal Steel Guitar in the World! Enuff Said!

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 26 May 2024 3:27 am    

I believe Zum got into the market in the mid 70's, and were possibly the first "Emmons"-looking design guitar with outstanding consistent quality mechanics. I have never read of anybody having received a sup-standard Zum! Some of the older firms did not enjoy that reputation.
Also one of the earlier companies which offered split-tuning capabilities.

I've had to do some maintenance work on a smoke free bedroom ZUM and after I believe 10 years from new, we had to replace the changer fingers and the changer shaft because both had noticeable wear on the E9th neck, which I a bit found surprising, although I had seen this happen on older ShoBuds too. Aluminum "running" on steel can suddenly bind and oddly enough become abrasive to each others (the softer aluminum to steel too).
Mr. Zumsteg agreed to sell us a new set of fingers and shaft and the guitar went to play perfectly again and eventually got sold many years later. Never got a complaint on that guitar.

I must say that I personally don't particularly care for their tone, not even when John Hughy started to play one around 1999 or 2000. And this would have been the only reason I never bought one.
But many, including live and recording artists played them with success, so that's just my personal taste.
I BLIEVE that the earlier ones may have had cast necks, and was also told that those sounded different. Then again, we've gone thru Decades here debating whether one could indeed hear the difference between cast and billet (extrusion) aluminum necks. I for one will argue, that depending on how the neck is connected to the vibrating drivers (changer & keyhead), yes I can.

My advice is always, don't buy a guitar based on who plays one, but on how that guitar sounds to you under your hands.

I think that, for the careful way these guitars were built, these are guitars which will still been seen around in 20 years from now.

... J-D

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 26 May 2024 6:34 am    

If Bruce was still building, I'd already be in line for one.

I think they're the gold standard in terms or workmanship and playability.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 26 May 2024 8:21 am    

Roger Rettig wrote:
If Bruce was still building, I'd already be in line for one.

I think they're the gold standard in terms or workmanship and playability.

Absolutely. I'd buy new one, loaded to the gills, in a New York minute.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 26 May 2024 9:16 am    

Ha! I imagine that 'my' black Zum with 8+9 would cost a small fortune! Would I get the hybrid model? I'm not sure but it's a moot point.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 May 2024 5:01 pm    

The early ones (the 1970's models) were styled a lot like the old MSA guitars, with a center crossrod support on the double-bodied guitars. But they soon morphed into a more modern design, like the Mullen and Emmons, which had no center supports. Regardless of the changes, they've always been one of the best guitars out there.

IMHO, guitars don't make you sound bad, you do that yourself. Laughing

Jeffery Mercer

Born in Portsmouth Oh. Dec. 10th 1954 Reside in City of Mentor, in Northeast Oh.
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2024 12:12 am     1st Ever

My First Steel, I was fortunate enough to find this for sale, and snatched it up! (How did I do?) I’ll never ever sell it.
It’s an 02 Model With the Lawrence 705 pup (I’ve not seen another with this Pickup?) Strange…hmmm?
Thank You Damir! for holding on to it for me, and giving me a wonderful Deal!
Jeff

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2024 5:47 am    

Excellent!!!!! Period!!!!!

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2024 12:25 pm    

I have had a few over the past ten years, every one a keeper, and the only problem I have with them is I spend all my money buying them every time another comes up, and can't bear to part with any of them once I get them home. I would rather have too many Zums than too much money in the bank 😎

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2024 12:40 pm    

I've never really played a Zum, but I love those steels and they look and sound awesome! The first steel I ever saw on a stage as a kid was a Zum, and it was played by former Carolina Opry steel guitarist Myron Smith-it was that day during that show that I started loving the steel guitar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jim Hoke

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2024 2:30 pm    

Is he still building them?

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2024 6:12 pm    

Jim Hoke wrote:
Is he still building them?

Nope, it's a finite resource