The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone try the new Quilter 202 yet?
Ray DeVoe

Hudson, FL
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2020 12:01 pm    

Thanks Forrest and Charlie for the information. I am going to pass this information on to my friend to try.

I Hope everyone's holiday season was great

Ray DeVoe

Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2020 12:48 pm    

Hi again...

I forgot to add my $0.02 about settings on the amp....

As I mentioned before, it will depend a lot on your speaker. But here are a few tips to start.

1. I like to run the master volume all the way to the max, if I can. If you have a high powered neo speaker, I imagine this won’t be an issue. If you have a lower wattage speaker, be careful. I would try to set the master volume at least at noon (50w). I think the best sounds can be had with the master volume as high as it goes.

2. Start with the gain at zero! If your master volume is already high, you don’t want to destroy your ears, because it’ll be LOUD. Start with the gain at zero, and slowly bring it up to a comfortable listening volume. Running the master volume hot, and using the gain knob as your volume will give you a more robust, full, organic tone. It’ll be clean, but warm.

3. Turn off the Limiter and Reverb. They will just distract you when you are dialing in a good steel tone. After you get a good basic sound, bring them in to taste. For myself, Reverb is a rabbit hole....easy to have way too much. In my opinion, when you do use reverb, it should be below noon. You just want to give your tone a bit of extra space and dimension. Too much and you will be washed out of the mix.

4. Start with your bass, middle, and treble at noon. I am a big believer in cutting eq first....not boosting it. Boosting frequencies means more noise. Do what you can by lowering each eq knob as necessary. If it gets too quiet, add gain back in (or master volume, if your speaker can take it). Using this method, I end up cutting a bit of mid and treble. If I boost any frequency, it’s the bass....but go easy, you don’t want a muddy bottom end. Remember, what sounds good at home might not sound right in a band mix. And remember, the mids are your friend. Cut too much and your tone sounds weak and thin...boost too much and you get overdrive.

5. Know your speaker. If you have a bright speaker, you’ll need to cut high end. If you have a boomy speaker, bass is not your friend. For example, I have a Weber 12F150 in my Deluxe....when I play steel with that I end up cutting a lot of high end. My Pro Reverb has 2 Jensen Concert Speakers. I like to kill the bright switch on that amp and add in a bit of treble.

6. Make sure the switch on the front is not set to FRFR....that is a flat response setting. Not good for steel, imo. I tend to stick to the Vintage setting.

Make sure to take breaks often. Your ears get tired. What sounds good after 15 minutes of fiddling might not sound good on fresh ears.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2022 1:01 am    

I finally got a Quilter Tone Block 202. I ordered it August 30,2021 and got it Feb. 5, 2022.

I have a cabinet that I built, Birch Plywood with a 15" EPS-15C mounted in it. 3" slot at top and bottom in back. Sound killing material inside and outside of cabinet.
On U-Tube I found Travis Toy's setting and put them in the 202. I played with it serious today.

I have a Budda Samsara Delay I use with another amp. I put it in signal line. It made it sound distorted and muddy, So back in the box to use with the other amp, As a spare setup.

I am very happy with the sound the 202 is giving me on all strings of a GFI Ultra 12 U Keyless. Now down to some finer adjustment. And try a 15" Black Widow Cabinet speaker I have.
At 21 lb. for the speaker and about 4 lb. for the amp. my back will be very happy, If and when COVID lets up enough and back to playing music.

Rex Myers

Risingsun Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2022 7:52 am     Quilter TT12 202 TB

I purchased the Quilter TT12 a few weeks ago and, I like it alot! and have gotten lots of compliments on the tone.
I am still experimenting with settings Still getting used to the mid punch and chimminess of this great very light amp!
I was using a "Prineton Reverb ll" and from time to time a "Randall Steelman 500"(73lbs)yikes!!!
I do want to say thanks to all the SGF members for all the input on various topics you folks are great !
Thank You!

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2024 6:48 am    

I recently bought the Quilter 202 which I had high hopes for. I liked the clarity of its sound and, of course, the fact that it is so light. But it is not as warm, nor does it have the “depth” as my tube head (no surprise there) or my Polytone, which is not a deal breaker, but, having tried the 202 with three different pedal steels and both single coil and humbucker pickups, and using the tone controls in every possible position, to my ears it has too much high end with both the treble amd mud controls on zero and the low end sounds kind of wash-y, so I will probably eother send it back maybe trade it for the 202 Bass - has anyonr tried that amp for pedal steel?

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 18 May 2024 1:15 pm    

I didn’t care for the Quilter 202 very much for the first year I had it. To my ear through a speaker, it wasn’t anywhere close to the Standels and Fenders that I’m used to.

I still prefer those amps over the 202 when plugged into a speaker, but I’m now using a Quilter 202 for my summer tour rig and I’m happy with it. I had it as a backup, but it sounded better in the system than the showman/JBL I intended on using. The weirdest part is that what ended up sounding best to me and our foh guy is the xlr di and not the cab sim. I also have the treble dialed way past where I’d normally have it… But what matters is what it sounds like out in the audience and in my ears.

Even if you hardly ever use it, its such a great backup to keep around. You can use it to power speakers in a busted backline amp, or go direct.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2024 7:29 am    

I've had the 202 with TT12 since late 2020, and then a year or so later added a TT15 Cabinet to it and then a year or so ago swapped the TT12 for a PF350 ... LOVE this combination
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2024 11:20 am    

I have the 202 with TT12" and TT15" speakers and cabinets. I really like the 15, but love the 12. The two together are tasty. I love this amp. There is a sweet spot relationship with the Master, Gain, and Limiter. Don't be afraid of the Gain.

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2024 11:26 am    

"I didn’t care for the Quilter 202 very much for the first year I had it"

Brett, thanks for your post. I took it with me on my last tour, but my tube (Fyd) amp sounded so much better that I didn't use it. When I got back a couple days ago, I plugged in the 202, but there wasn't a sound that I could conceivably use. I wrote to my rep at Sweetwater that I would be sending it back, but before sending the email, I thought about using an Aguilar preamp pedal. I added that to my pedal chain and it sounded really really good. Not as much a the tube amp but useable. I think I'll keep it. Sometimes you just need to slow own and think.

Thanks for the advice.

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2024 12:30 pm    

Susan, I had basically the same experience. It sounds better to me when I use a Boss amp simulator preamp pedal in front. I was all over the dial and I found a usable tone but the Boss sounds better in front doing a Fender twin simulation.

Joe Shelby

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2024 4:39 pm     Boss amp simulator pedal

Larry what Boss pedal are you using in front of the 202?
How close does it get to sounding like a Fender Twin?

Joe

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2024 9:37 am    

Joe, it's the GP-20 and it's about as close as any especially for it's time. It has several amp models and cabinet choices which can be saved into memory. But no reverb or any effects built in. The technology is older Boss and I've had it quite a few years. I have no doubt the new IR2 or the IR200 from Boss maybe better. If you like Boss gear that's menu driven the GT1 and the Pocket GT is great but it's only good after fine tuning all the parameters. The older GP-20 is simple and no menus. I also have the GT1 and Pocket GT.