The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rubber pads under Goodrich pedal
Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2024 6:52 am    

What's the best replacement for the rubber pads or washers on the bottom of Goodrich volume pedals? Goodrich shows 4 rubbers and 4 screws for $16. I have 3 pedals and would like to go through all of them and replace all, plus have some spares on hand - so a box of 30 or so would be ideal. I've got to think some supply house sells them in bulk. I've been to HD and looked through their various cabinet and plumbing parts but nothing jumps out at me as just what is needed.

Thanks!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 May 2024 8:17 am    

I think these are what they use now. Just have to pick the correct size. Guessing the screw size is #6. click here
Most hardware or big box stores have these in various sizes. Probably can eyeball or match up at the store.

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 24 May 2024 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2024 9:01 am    

Thanks Jerry - Does the head of the screw compress the black material enough that only soft stuff contacts the floor? We're leaving for the weekend in a bit, Amazon shows it should be here by the time we get back. Thanks, worth looking into for sure.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 May 2024 9:37 am    

Yessir, no worries...the washer is concave or convex whichever, and the screw clears the floor. I believe this is the same type of washer Goodrich uses now. I've had them on the last 2 or 3 recent pedals I've owned....of course I defer to the folks there.

As I recall, the Goodrich pedals take a #6 screw on the bottom plate so that or close to that size hole in the washer should work for you.

I imagine you can get them from the Goodrich folks or maybe from Bill Ferguson as well.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2024 7:18 pm    

Check Ace Hardware, They have a Grey rubber foot with a metal washer, Screw hole, They are 5/8"/15mm in diameter. I have 4 on my home practice volume pedal with bar bracket, They make the pedal very stable.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2024 7:40 pm    

The sealing washer from a metal building screw works perfectly. It is a metal cupped washer with a rubber ring cemented to it. The head of a #6 flat head screw will squeeze through the hole in the rubber and contact the metal washer, when it's tight, the screw head is lower than the rubber so only the rubber contacts the floor. Home Depot and any other home center should have them. The washers come on the screws, but are easily removed.

While on the subject of volume pedals, I ran across a perfect string to use on a volume pedal. I had to shorten some blinds in my shop a few weeks ago and had to cut the strings that raise and lower the blinds off about 12", the string is braided, it is extremely strong and doesn't stretch. I installed some on one of my pedals today and it works great.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2024 8:41 am    

Darvin Willhoite wrote:
The sealing washer from a metal building screw works perfectly. It is a metal cupped washer with a rubber ring cemented to it. The head of a #6 flat head screw will squeeze through the hole in the rubber and contact the metal washer, when it's tight, the screw head is lower than the rubber so only the rubber contacts the floor. Home Depot and any other home center should have them. The washers come on the screws, but are easily removed.

And so does a box in my garage! Already bought and paid for! Thanks to all who made suggestions, and especially to Darvin.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 27 May 2024 9:15 am    

Great! My bad, not plumbing washers but sealing washers. Wasn't sure what to call them. Now I know thanks to Darvin.

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2024 7:09 pm     ...Lowe's...

I get mine at Lowe's...those drawers in"Hardware"where they keep the Cotter pins and stuff...

Lotta misc.stuff for steel guitars and old cars in that part of the store...

SH

Brian Lee

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2024 11:55 am    

Another great source for stuff like this is McMaster Carr. Their website is great- easy to navigate and each item is usually well specified. I buy fasteners and other mechanical bits from them often.
Here's a link to the rubber bumpers they have available: [/url]https://www.mcmaster.com/products/bumper-cushions/bumpers~/

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2024 12:30 pm    

McMaster Carr’s shipping rates have gotten outrageous. I don’t buy anything from them that I can get somewhere else. Shipping is often as much as the parts.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2024 1:00 pm    

What Darvin said. Often shipping is more expensive than the parts ordered. They have good stuff and a great selection but shipping is prohibitive doing business with them.

Much as I don't like doing business with Amazon on some levels, they're still almost always the best bang for the buck with mostly free shipping for the time being.

Brian Lee

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2024 2:56 pm    

Yep, shipping costs at McMaster Carr is an issue, especially if only buying a few little bits. I buy a fair amount of fasteners and other raw materials for jeep projects from them, so adding some little steel guitar related stuff to an order of heavy, bulky stuff is essentially incremental free shipping. What I really like about McMaster is that they carry a wide array of hard to find parts, and they usually have detail specs on dimensions and material type so it makes it easy to figure out if the part will meet the need.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2024 4:16 pm    

Like Bobby Jones said, Ace hardware. I had the same problem and found a replacement that was close enough at Ace. I took my pedal in and the hardware jedi helped me.

Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2024 6:35 pm    

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S26BNNC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

20 feet for $10. Enough to share with friends.