The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  upgraded nylon tuners for Justice Pro-Lite
Glenn Burleigh

St. Louis, MO, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2024 4:48 pm    

Hey there,

I got a Justice Pro-Lite, about a year ago. For some reason, all of the nylon tuners have stripped quite easily. I've turned them around and the thread on so easily that it's clear they aren't really letting the rods' threading dig in to the nylon for a solid grip. As far as I can tell, these are just nylon hex spacers that I could get on Ebay. Before ordering more that would potentially have a similar problem, I figured that I would ask the forum and see if other Justice players have dealt with this and found tuning nuts that haven't stripped so easily.

Thanks!
Glenn
Dekley Slimline 3x4, Sho~bud Professional, Encore 3x5, Fender Custom Professional, Gold Tone PDS-D, Melbert Roundabout, Gibson Les Paul Junior Special, Ibanez Custom Agent, Danelectro U2 Baritone, various Teles and Strats.

Jim Pollard

Cedar Park, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2024 4:23 am    

I've had the same problem. Ron sent me a bag of replacement tuners but I had the same problems. I ended up ordering multiple bags of #4 3/4 inch nylon tuners from psgparts.com but even those are hit and miss. I've had to replace a tuner as many as 4-5 times to hit one that will grip. Just purely for the hell of it I"m planning to order some of the #3 tuners and try those. Probably won't even thread on but at ~$10 a bag worth a gamble.

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 21 May 2024 8:52 am     Nylon tuners

I have a set of (you guessed it) Harbor Freight numbered drill bits. You could take the nylons with the smaller holes & drill until they fit to suit you if you had the bits. Once you find the size bit that gets you the right fit, you’ll be set. I’ve drilled some that were too tight. Works fine best I can tell.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2024 7:20 pm    

Getting the right size hole in tuning nuts can be a problem.
I made some nylon tuners for a forum member, 2-56 I think it was for an old guitar with bicycle spokes for pull rods.

Our Ace Hardware has single bits for sale in number size.
Harbor Freight has full sets for sail.
Measure and get a tap drill for proper fit.
List of Tap drill sizes.
2-56 drill #50
3-48 " #47
4-40 " #43 3/32 GFI many other brands.
5-40 " #38 7/64 Emmons
6-40 " #33 1/8" MSA

Glenn Burleigh

St. Louis, MO, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2024 5:38 pm    

Is there a place folks are going to get the nylon hex material to drill out to size? Are folks buying longer pieces, cutting down to size, then drilling? With my previous steels, new nylon nuts have always gone on real tight. Maybe they weren't the standouts/spacers that folks seem to be using these days? Psgparts says all sold out.
Dekley Slimline 3x4, Sho~bud Professional, Encore 3x5, Fender Custom Professional, Gold Tone PDS-D, Melbert Roundabout, Gibson Les Paul Junior Special, Ibanez Custom Agent, Danelectro U2 Baritone, various Teles and Strats.

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2024 2:41 am    

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225255156728?var=524212041350

The Listing above is for electronic Stand Offs The proper size is M2.5x30MM the whole that is in them M2.5 can be taped with a 4/40 tap to fit the 3/32 pull rods and use the numbers Bobby posted for the other sizes the 30mm is the legnth about 1 1/4".

Barry

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2024 7:57 pm    

The trouble with trying to use those Hex Nylon Standoffs is, Most of them are 5mm (.01968) across the hex flats, A standard Hex Tuner is 3/16" (.01875) across the hex flats. That is .093 thousands larger. You will have to have a 2nd tuning wrench and then play hunt for which wrench fits which tuner.

To make tuning nuts from nylon bar stock, You need a drilling jig, or a lathe to make tuning nut. The hole has to be perfect straight or they wobble.

Before COCID U.S. Plastic had 3/16" Hex nylon for $5.49 + postage a foot. I made a forum member some special hex nuts, Used up about all my stock. Checked U.S. Plastics web site the hex stock had went to about $10.50 + postage per foot.
I checked a little bit ago, The price has went down to $7.52 + postage per foot. I get it cut into 12" lengths to cut shipping cost when I order.

May have to order some to have in stock.

Jim Pollard

Cedar Park, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2024 4:39 am    

I just got these from Amazon. Standard hex wrench works for them and they go on good and tight. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H3LWWQE?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2024 7:23 pm    

Those listed on Amazon could be drilled out and fit some guitars. But only being .750 (3/4") long there is many guitars they would not fit.

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2024 4:56 am    

Sent you a pm

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet