The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Track Isolation Issue
Tom Jordan

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 8 May 2024 8:08 pm    

Hey all, looking for some input and it may be a "lazy" question. I'm using an Alesis MultiMix 4 FX as a computer interface and it also is the playback device for my PC (USB connect).

I use Mixcraft 10 as my DAW (similar to many other DAWs). I started my first multi track recording today and was surprised that any other track that plays back shows up on the track that I am recording. I have to pull the other tracks way back, just loud enough for me to hear/track while I record the active track. I would rather prefer an isolated track without the background "noise".

My question is, where should I expect to control this? The DAW? The Alesis has no software, so I'm scratching my head...

Thanks for any input,

Tom

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 9 May 2024 4:46 am    

Tom

This mixer will not be able to do what you want. It only has a stereo output on it so you are not able to put your track separated from your steel tracks. you need a device that will allow you to have multiple separate outputs to do what you want. Then in your DAW you can assign input 1 as track left, input 2 as track right and then the remainder as overdub tracks.

Maybe someone else has a solution how to get around this problem

Regards,

Mark T.

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet

Tom Jordan

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 9 May 2024 6:33 am    

Mark,

Thank you for the reply and that makes sense. It leads to another question; any recommendations for a desktop mixer that does allow for isolation of tracks? I think I'll head over to Sweetwater and study up a bit.

Tom

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 9 May 2024 8:43 am    

One other thought. You could possibly hook up the output of your computer to something besides the mixer. Then use the output of your mixer to just send the steel to the selected track. Playback would not be through the mixer but through another device. Could work

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet

Tom Jordan

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 9 May 2024 3:32 pm    

Mark,

Thanks again. Sweetwater thinks that adding another audio interface will have the same effect as what I am currently experiencing (I like them, will work your issues instead of trying to sell you something). The DAW FAQ Sheet mentions unwanted tracks appearing on the track being recorded but the solutions didn't work for me. I have a call into their tech support and hopefully, we'll figure it out.

Tom

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2024 7:42 pm    

I'd look into getting a Presonus interface and it will come with a version of Studio One. I use the Presonus ioStation 24C. It accepts 2 inputs and the it has the Faderport built in that provides transport controls and a fader for mixing.

RC

Tom Jordan

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 9 May 2024 8:23 pm    

Rick,

I've read and enjoyed alot of your posts. I'll have a look at the Presonus ioStation.

Tom

Karlis Abolins

(near) Seattle, WA, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2024 7:01 am    

I use a Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK mixer https://www.soundcraft.com/en-US/products/signature-12-mtk which has 14 in/12 out on the USB channel. Its overkill at 12 channels but each input can be sent to the DAW while monitoring the mix as I want it. The preamps are nice and musical.

I just looked at the price at Sweetwater. I paid $450 back in 2018 and it's now over $600. Craigslist has a 12 MTK for $300 and its big brother 22 MTK for $425.

Karlis

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 11 May 2024 7:42 am    

If you don't want to pay for more i/o (actual convertors from analog to digital and back) do your playback mixing from inside your computer. There should be some sort of software interface between your DAW and outputs/inputs. Think signal flow. It's the same thing inside the computer as wires outside your computer.

If you can route everything right inside the software you shouldn't need to buy anything.

Walter Killam

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2024 8:15 pm     Dumb Question

Are you recording direct and/or monitoring with headphones while you record? Just trying to wrap my head around how this could happen!

Tom Jordan

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 13 May 2024 2:05 pm    

Walter,

Recording direct via line input to the Alexsis, then USB into the PC. When I hit RECORD on the new track, the tracks that are now in the playback are recording onto the new track in addition to what is intended to be reorded.

Not using headsets with the line input but using the Alesis also as the playback device from the PC.

At any rate, I just received the Presonus ioStation 24c. I'll be on the road for a few days and will use the travel time to read the users manuals and go back and try it again.

I'm thinking that the Alesis will record "live" just fine but isn't intended for separate multitrack recording.

Tom

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2024 9:41 pm    

Tom Jordan wrote:
Walter,

Recording direct via line input to the Alexsis, then USB into the PC. When I hit RECORD on the new track, the tracks that are now in the playback are recording onto the new track in addition to what is intended to be reorded.

Not using headsets with the line input but using the Alesis also as the playback device from the PC.

At any rate, I just received the Presonus ioStation 24c. I'll be on the road for a few days and will use the travel time to read the users manuals and go back and try it again.

I'm thinking that the Alesis will record "live" just fine but isn't intended for separate multitrack recording.

Tom

Congratulations. I think your troubles are probably over. I have the Presounus 192 and a Faderport 16..... I never use either of them. The iostation 24 does everything I need to do, and does it with no complications. It's pretty intuitive, but if you need any help, feel free to ask..

Be sure to set the buffer size low (I use 64 or 128) when you're recording to keep the latency down. When you mix, raise it up to 1024 or 2048 to keep processes usage low and prevent pops and cracks.

RC