The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  blog piece
Bill Milkowski

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2024 8:53 am    

I just posted this piece on my blog ("The Milkman's Musings" on BillMilkowski.com). It's me reminiscing about my 50-year Infatuation with pedal steel guitar and contains a rundown of some innovative renegades who have applied the steel to their music in creative ways over time. Everyone from Alvino Rey, Pete Drake, Sneaky Pete and Lucky Oceans to Buddy Emmons, Freddie Roulette and Greg Leisz to Briano Eno, Frank Zappa and King Sunny Ade are represented in this survey piece, along with a few new faces like Mike Neer, Rich Hinman, Susan Alcorn and France's Lionel Wendling:

https://bit.ly/4dxOBS0

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 9 May 2024 9:10 am    

Right on, Bill!

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2024 9:35 am    

Lloyd Green played steel on "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" not Jaydee Maness.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 9 May 2024 10:28 am    

Can't wait to read it! Somewhere in one of my boxes, I have a couple of cassette tapes of Demola playing with King Sunny Ade. Fascinating music.

~Lee

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2024 5:29 pm    

Thanks for posting that Bill, I’ve enjoyed ready your articles and reviews over the years, nice to see you on the Forum

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Bill Milkowski

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2024 7:59 am     corrections

SInce posting that piece on Substack and my blog on "My 50-Year Infatuation With Pedal Steel," I've gotten lots of feedback (and a couple of corrections) about many pedal steel players that I neglected to mention. Of course, I'm remiss. But those names are all new discoveries to me, as is Joe Goldmark, who played in Jim Campilongo's 10 Gallon Cats band. Clearly, I'm going to have to write an addendum to the original post. Also, thanks to John Larson for that correction on The Byrds' version of Dylan's "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" from 'Sweetheart of the Rodeo.' That indeed was Lloyd Green and not JayDee Maness.

Last edited by Bill Milkowski on 14 May 2024 8:25 am; edited 2 times in total

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 14 May 2024 8:17 am    

I would like to thank you, Bill, for writing this great personal refection on steel guitar. As always, it is superbly written.

I have been a big fan of Bill’s writing since the 80s, when as a young guitar-mad geek I devoured every bit of press on all the guitarists and jazz musicians who were playing all the right wrong notes, like John Scofield, Bill Frisell, etc. This was in Bill’s wheelhouse and he wrote splendidly with the same geeky enthusiasm.

Years later, Bill wrote the seminal book on Jaco Pastorius, and Keith Richards, and most recently the fantastic Ode To Tenor Titan Michael Brecker.

We are very happy to have you in our little weirdo world.