The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I just found out there are 6-string pedal steels
Joseph Lazo

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2024 5:56 am    

HowardR wrote:
The Jackson Steel Guitar Co. makes a high quality 6 string pedal steel.

Check out Chris Glass's youtube channel......he makes beautiful music on his Jackson 6 string....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4I18Z7wGWQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIB4dfWoMHI

30 seconds into that first video and I was thinking that I really can't imagine wanting anything more from a pedal steel.

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 7 May 2024 8:43 am    

The arguments and opinions with regard to 10 vs 6 string are all valid.....it depends on what you want and/or what your needs are.....if you want to be a pedal steel player and deep dive into playing all of the standard country plus anything else, then 10 string E9 is the logical way.....if you want to incorporate pedal steel into your current repertoire to supplement your versatility, then 6 string is a good & (relatively) easier way to go....Chris Glass gets a lot of great music out of his 6 string set up and proves this point......

Joseph Lazo

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2024 6:52 am    

Is the string spacing at the bridge noticeably narrower on a 10-string than it is on a 6-string? It looks that way in the photos I've seen. This would likely be a problem for me since I play with fingers only. The narrower the string spacing, the more awkward it feels. I can't imagine being able to play a narrowly spaced 10-string bridge with finger picks. I can't even do it on a 6-string lap steel.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 8 May 2024 6:59 am    

Yes, most 10 stringers are 11/32...some are 5/16 while most 6 stringers are guitar spaced at 3/8...so yes, it takes some getting used to on a 10.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2024 9:02 am    

Quote:
I can't imagine being able to play a narrowly spaced 10-string bridge with finger picks.

Unless you have indestructible fingernails, I think fingerpicks provide an advantage over bare fingers for dealing with narrow string spacing. Also, on a 10-string, narrow spacing facilitates wider grips for dyads or chord voicings that span 5, 6, or 8 strings.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 8 May 2024 9:42 am    

Joseph Lazo wrote:
Is the string spacing at the bridge noticeably narrower on a 10-string than it is on a 6-string? It looks that way in the photos I've seen. This would likely be a problem for me since I play with fingers only. The narrower the string spacing, the more awkward it feels. I can't imagine being able to play a narrowly spaced 10-string bridge with finger picks. I can't even do it on a 6-string lap steel.

Most 10-string pedal steels feature narrower spacing than most 6-string steel guitars. As with anything else, narrower string spacing has advantages and disadvantages, as Fred states.

The vast majority of pedal steel players play with picks - both thumb and fingers (2 or 3 finger picks). But some don't - it can be done.

Everything about pedal steel is awkward at first. Picks are awkward at first. Playing steel without picks is awkward at first. Coordinating bar hand, finger picking, pedals and volume pedal on the floor, and both knees working knee levers - everything is awkward at first. But that can be overcome with practice.

I think the biggest reason to consider a 10-string is that it is SO much easier to find a 10-string, and probably in the long haul, cheaper and opens up many more options. Good 6-strings are just not readily available, and unless you're lucky, you're gonna pay through the nose for a good one.

But if you just wanna get your feet wet, I don't think it matters too much what you get, as long as the mechanics are reasonable. Failing that, pedal steel can be a very, very frustrating instrument.

For the first 20 years of playing guitar, I thought a LOT of things were more trouble than they were worth. I played with a flat pick only, thinking finger picking was just too much trouble. Then I started playing hybrid, flat pick and finger picks on middle & ring fingers. Guess what, not that tough, and opened a lot of options. Then I decided a few years later that I ought to try banjo. Forget about Scruggs style without a thumb pick and finger picks. So I got a banjo, got the Scruggs book, thumb pick and moved my finger picks to index + middle. Guess what, not so bad. Then I decided that I ought to try pedal steel. Buoyed by success with the other stuff, I just barreled on in. Guess what - yes, it can be done. All this opened up a lot of stuff on all these instruments. Yes, it takes practice. Yes, it even takes a certain level of "I don't give a damn, I'm doing this" type of dedication. But I think that's true regardless of whether or not you go 6, 8, 10, 12, or 14 strings.

Forcing myself to push the envelope has opened up massive new musical opportunities for me. I'm not that special. I didn't make a total career in music. I was a physics/electrical-engineer/computer-scientist studying and teaching at major universities for most of the last 50 years. I took 5 years off for industry and 5 years off for full-time music, the latter of which gave me some time to really push other things like music. But I didn't have time to devote absolute, total dedication of my entire life to music. I did have to make some sacrifices to do both music and technical stuff, but it is possible to manage time in a way that things can happen even if you're busy with other stuff.

IMO, for most of us (there are exceptions, obviously) - limitations are mostly in one's own head.

Dave Stagner

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2024 9:38 am    

If you want to get pedal steel sounds, but have a simpler jump from lap steel, I'd just put a couple of palm benders on a regular lap steel. I have a cheap Recording King with a couple of Certano benders on it, and can do a lot of the A/B pedal clichés without leaving the simple world of lap steel. It's very portable and a lot cheaper than some six-string pedal steel with just two pedals.

1967 ZB D-10
1990 OMI Dobro
Recording King lap steel with Certano benders

Joseph Lazo

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2024 12:09 pm    

Dave Stagner wrote:
If you want to get pedal steel sounds, but have a simpler jump from lap steel, I'd just put a couple of palm benders on a regular lap steel. I have a cheap Recording King with a couple of Certano benders on it, and can do a lot of the A/B pedal clichés without leaving the simple world of lap steel. It's very portable and a lot cheaper than some six-string pedal steel with just two pedals.

Well, one of my lap steels has Certano benders on it (It's a Certano). I find them a bit awkward, actually. In fact, it's easier for me to do string pulls on it with a finger than it is to use the bender. I thought pulling the strings via a foot pedal would be a lot easier and afford better control than either palm benders or pulling with a finger, but you make a good point. At this point, I'm thinking I have a ways to go before getting serious about buying a pedal steel.

However, from what I've been able to glean about two-pedal steels, they do more than just raise one string per pedal. I've had an ongoing conversation with a forumite about a Fessenden 6 stringer he has, so that's where this info comes from. Maybe his is unique in this regard, I don't know.

So far, the only 6-string pedal steel that really gives me GAS is the 3-pedal Jackson, and it's not cheap.

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2024 5:35 pm    

Joseph-
I had a 2-pedal Jackson, and the tone was amazing (I play mostly Williams 10-strings now). Not "student" or "amateur" at all...

The third pedal change is gotten by pressing A+B+RKL, so it is all there...

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 9 May 2024 6:46 pm    

HowardR wrote:
The Jackson Steel Guitar Co. makes a high quality 6 string pedal steel.

Check out Chris Glass's youtube channel......he makes beautiful music on his Jackson 6 string....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4I18Z7wGWQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIB4dfWoMHI

Indeed, that is some really wonderful playing using only 6 strings! I can honestly say that I’ve heard hundreds of players who had a lot more strings, and had been playing for many years, but they didn’t sound any better than Chris.

Bravo Chris! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2024 9:00 am     The First's

I saw the first 6 string pedal Steel Guitars.

1. The multi Kord in 1948 and 2. The Gibson PSG; a bit later. But I never liked them atoll. But now, I'm 92 yr old. And I have 3 PSG's: Emmons Legrand III double; and 8 and 10, A Japan one that has 12 Strings; 9 pedals and 10 knees (I think). And i can't remember it's name. And finally, a Single Derby PSG. With 4 pedals, and 6 knees levers. For my care lady.

But sadly, I can't play any thing any more. Being this old; I all I do; is "Comment" around on YouTube, etc. But for better: May Jesus bless you and yours, Always. Amen!

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2024 9:55 am    

Well, I like my pedals and levers and strings as much as anyone...but I keep telling myself, the magic actually comes from choosing the right notes, not from having more mechanical ways to get to them...
And a 6-string has all the same notes that a 10-string has (at least, a Jackson does, the other 6-stringers mostly have a reduced range, but there still are plenty of notes to choose from)

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 12 May 2024 3:24 pm    

I didn't have the expertise to make a recommendation, but what do should think about pointing someone considering a 6 string towards an 8 string? They tend to be older and often double necks, but it seems like there are some real cherry 8 stringers that come through, often at a real bargain price compared to 10 strings.

My main thoughts on 6 string Pedal Steel boil down to "Go for it!" I suspect you'll each a 10 sooner then you things but a long as you buy used and sensibly, you can probably get most of your cash back on resale if your decide to sell.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/

Joseph Lazo

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2024 8:50 am    

Karl Paulsen wrote:
I didn't have the expertise to make a recommendation, but what do should think about pointing someone considering a 6 string towards an 8 string? They tend to be older and often double necks, but it seems like there are some real cherry 8 stringers that come through, often at a real bargain price compared to 10 strings.

My main thoughts on 6 string Pedal Steel boil down to "Go for it!" I suspect you'll each a 10 sooner then you things but a long as you buy used and sensibly, you can probably get most of your cash back on resale if your decide to sell.

I'd definitely consider an 8-string, long as the string spacing isn't too tight. I play with fingers only, so a 10-string is out of the question.

I know, I know...I should learn to use finger picks. But I just have no interest or aptitude for it. Been playing guitar with fingers only for too many years and am used to using thumb and 3 fingers.