The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Guit-picking Treat with Emmylou
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 6 May 2024 6:50 am    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzhLojTaX9w

If someone said 'listen to the hot guitar picking with the Hot Band' I'd say 'which Albert Lee cut'?

Nope.

Couple of notes --
-- I don't know that I've ever heard Emmylou so hyper and growling so hard. I love it.
-- Frank Reckard is doing such a great job of seamlessly playing hot guitar licks and B-Bending. If he weren't so good I'd get little bent about how much steel territory he covers. Instead, it's just deep, solid hot dog AND musical picking.

Never saw this clip before although I would not be a bit surprised to learn that it has been posted here before, multiple times.

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 6 May 2024 12:52 pm    

I used to play like that.... NOT !!!!!!!
Unbelievable guitar player! Right up there with all the greats!

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2024 2:17 pm    

Where is Frank Reckard these days? Holy smokes, what a picker!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 6 May 2024 2:47 pm    

Hot Stuff! I've seen a few of old TV shows with Frank Reckard not really being aware of him, but no matter, he more than gets it done!

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2024 3:04 pm    

That's Steve Fishell on steel in this vid right?

Last Date is one of my very favorite country live albums. The Hot Band was on fire there as well.

All the incarnations of the Hot band were just filled with spectacular talent. It's not easy to follow in the footsteps of James Burton and Albert Lee but Frank shows here he totally deserved that gig.

The Hot Band backed up Roseanne Cash on some of her early 80s albums as well including the massive hit "Seven Year Ache".

Here's more live Hot Band from the early 80 Austin City Limits

We will forever be indebted to Gram Parsons for discovering Emmylou.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Last edited by John Larson on 6 May 2024 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 6 May 2024 6:59 pm    

John Larson wrote:
That's Steve Fishell on steel in this vid right?

We will forever be indebted to Gram Parsons for discovering Emmylou.

Actually it was Chris Hillman who “discovered” her but it was Parsons who got her on the road to stardom. A stardom that was denied HIM for a number of reasons. When I first heard her belting out her part on “That’s All it Took” on the “GP” album I was hooked!
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 6 May 2024 7:05 pm    

Frank is certainly tearing it up on that double-cut Les Paul Junior with what looks like a Glaser B-Bender, in TV Yellow no less. Lots of cool musical quotes embedded. Great player indeed. I always took a double-take on that Junior - just proves you only really need one pickup, and a P90 works jes' fine for chicken pickin' if you know how. A pretty far cry from Leslie West on Mississippi Queen.

BTW - Frank and this clip got some exposure in this Guitar Player article a few years ago - https://www.guitarplayer.com/players/unsung-guitar-greats-the-twangy-mastery-of-frank-reckard

Frank went to law school and practiced law in water rights in New Mexico - his wikipedia bio is here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Reckard

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2024 2:05 pm    

FRANK RECKARD of Emmylou's Hot Band - Ask Zac 82

Stumbled across this thanks to the YouTube algorithm.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5