The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  is Tommy Roots still protected?
Sherman Willden

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2024 10:54 am    

I have a couple of Tommy Roots courses. I am putting them on usb and computer disk for safekeeping. If I should send a usb with the courses to another person I assume Tommy Roots teaching is still protected. Can I sell it? What about Winnie Winston and others?

Thank you;

Sherman

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 8 May 2024 3:07 pm     Re: is Tommy Roots still protected?

Sherman Willden wrote:
I have a couple of Tommy Roots courses. I am putting them on usb and computer disk for safekeeping. If I should send a usb with the courses to another person I assume Tommy Roots teaching is still protected. Can I sell it? What about Winnie Winston and others?

Thank you;

Sherman

You might want to search for some chatter we all had about Tom Bradshaw collecting Jeff Newman's material.
It would SEEM that NO, you CANNOT sell copies of it. It's copyrighted for Decades over even the passing of an author. The rights probably go to the heirs, EVEN if they don't exploit it.
You can safe/convert it in newer formats for YOURSELF and your heirs may enjoy it, or you may sell your copy of the original material.
The Forum has had a policy of discouraging re-selling instructional material even in originals, of authors still alive or "active", on it's Buy-Sell section in order to protect these authors from diminishing revenue.
But the sale of instructional originals seems not only be legal but fair game.

I don't know about "sharing" it, but I would suspect that beyond shared "playtime" with friends, it may be protected aswell.

Still, I just seen some of Jeff Newman's video courses being uploaded to youtube by someone. Some of the current Paul Franklin video Method is up on youtube too, and that is more concerning because Paul Franklin is an active professional making part of his living with that online course.

This is NOT legal advice!... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Tom Spaulding

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2024 5:40 am    

J D- If there is any Paul Franklin Method content on YouTube that we do not put there, let me know where and I will handle it. Thanks.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 12 May 2024 7:11 am    

Tom Spaulding wrote:
J D- If there is any Paul Franklin Method content on YouTube that we do not put there, let me know where and I will handle it. Thanks.

Yes there is.
Just search for “ modern music masters paul franklin”
I assume these are promotional shorties, and since Moder Music Masters posted them on a public media (YouTUBE), they can be used, shared and even downloaded by YouTUBE Premium members.

… JD.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2024 10:25 am    

J D Sauser wrote:
Tom Spaulding wrote:

Yes there is.
Just search for “ modern music masters paul franklin”
I assume these are promotional shorties, and since Moder Music Masters posted them on a public media (YouTUBE), they can be used, shared and even downloaded by YouTUBE Premium members.

… JD.

Tom is the founder of Modern Music Masters.

I couldn’t find any MMM Paul Franklin Course videos on YouTube that weren’t posted by MMM. They are all promo shorties.

There was a guy here on the forum posting videos not long ago, of himself playing through the Paul Franklin course material. I asked him about permission and he said that he had cleared it with MMM, presumably with Tom himself. Seemed kinda squirrelly to me. Anyway, he must have stopped posting here and I can’t find him on YouTube. Maybe he figured out it was kind of a silly venture for him, which it was. Or maybe he got caught.

Tom Spaulding

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2024 11:02 am    

Looks like all of the YouTube stuff is from us on our MMM channel. Just clips and promos to show what is in the paid versions. We appreciate the vigilance!

We’re all in favor of fair use guidelines and showing folks what you’ve learned. We do keep an eye out for bootlegs and people trying to monetize Paul’s copyrighted content.

The blog, the YouTube channel and the free courses we offer are both promotional and educational, we try to find a balance.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 12 May 2024 1:48 pm    

Off Topic - Tommy Roots was the first professional steel guitarist I met, decades ago.

~Lee

Travis Bubenik

Marfa, Texas
Post  Posted 13 May 2024 10:16 am    

Somewhat off topic but - as a younger player, I really wish someone would just buy the rights to the Newman materials and make 'em all available online for purchase. Someone or some entity. Make it into a digital archive with a monthly or annual membership a la Patreon etc. It sucks that such a foundational wealth of educational materials for an earlier generation is just largely unavailable to newer ones (unless you know who to talk to/how to dig for it of course.) What other trade/discipline/field of study lets that happen? Okay rant over. Please nobody report the Newman youtube videos for copyright violation, hah.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2024 3:57 pm    

Travis Bubenik wrote:
Somewhat off topic but - as a younger player, I really wish someone would just buy the rights to the Newman materials and make 'em all available online for purchase. Someone or some entity. Make it into a digital archive with a monthly or annual membership a la Patreon etc. It sucks that such a foundational wealth of educational materials for an earlier generation is just largely unavailable to newer ones (unless you know who to talk to/how to dig for it of course.) What other trade/discipline/field of study lets that happen? Okay rant over. Please nobody report the Newman youtube videos for copyright violation, hah.

From what I have seen of the Paul Franklin online course, it is exactly what you are talking about and is far superior to just about anything that has come before it. We all mourn the demise of Jeffran Music, but… honestly, there is so much more quality learning material available now I think the biggest problem new players have is choosing a system.

Don’t forget all the stuff available on the Forum Beginners page
https://dhdube.wixsite.com/psgbeginner

And the Forum store
https://www.steelguitarshopper.com/categories/instruction/

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 13 May 2024 11:52 pm    

Fred Treece wrote:
Travis Bubenik wrote:

From what I have seen of the Paul Franklin online course, it is exactly what you are talking about and is far superior to just about anything that has come before it. We all mourn the demise of Jeffran Music, but… honestly, there is so much more quality learning material available now I think the biggest problem new players have is choosing a system.

Don’t forget all the stuff available on the Forum Beginners page
https://dhdube.wixsite.com/psgbeginner

And the Forum store
https://www.steelguitarshopper.com/categories/instruction/

The thing is that besides Jeff Newman's material, most was and still is only directed at beginners, or directed to those which want to learn to play note for note like the Greats, which they have no business to try, if they are not at that level... to me that's like navigating the Titanic, again only looking out of iceberg PEAKS.
Jeff's C6th courses (I can't comment to much about his extensive E9th material) was at that time and for a long time the only material which started at the beginning and METHODICALLY moved into being able to play good enough to develop ones own style and/or learn what one wanted to pick off the Greats of steel guitar or even the Charlie Parkers of the rest world.

The only course that takes a similar trajectory is Paul Franklin's. I think, that while his E9th material is very elaborate, he is going too fast on the C6th, probably assuming that today most would become accomplished E9th players first and then only seek to find out how to apply that knowledge on what they've used as a wrist pad for years. Still, it's the only course that, from the bottom up, now really only narrowly bypasses Western-&-Country-Swing to shoot at Bebop and complex tunes like Giant Steps.
I feel it is dearly missing more study into 2,5,I's in Major and even more-so in minor. An application study using a tune like Autumn Leaves and maybe followed by something like Blue Bossa and then Rhythm Changes, before seeking to tackle an oddball like Giant Steps.

But that's my opinion.

I steel keep saying, that especially those wanting to study "real" Jazz (meaning beyond Western-Country-Swing) should make AMPLE use of all the educational info available on YouTUBE, by "horn-blowers", piano teachers, guitarists, etc, in order to not spend their lives at trying to sound like some of our steel guitar heroes... because, THEY didn't try to sound like their peers either.

Do what successful people did on their WAY TO becoming successful, rather than try to imitate what they eventually became famous for. (and that was told to me not by Maurice or Jeff, but by Tom Feltenstein, a hospitality marketing genius). After all, learning music AND an instrument all at the same time, is nor "Reality"-Show junk, that's "The Boy's Stuff" (as Maurice put it, pointing at the neck.)

Respect your Teachers and Mentors! They are your musical "Elders"!

... J-D.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2024 8:09 am    

JD,

We have apples vs oranges here.

You’re talking about general music education, as opposed to learning the mechanics and specialized techniques for playing pedal steel. A beginner needs attainable music goals that involve learning how to play the instrument - the very basic stuff to use as a springboard for choosing one’s own musical direction and further education. After that, learning the instrument further and music education can be done concurrently.