The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking for pedal steel lessons in Austin, TX
Michael Lyons

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2024 7:03 pm    

Hi y’all, I recently bought my first emmons E9 set up and I’m looking for beginner lessons preferably in the Austin area. I’m interested in playing contemporary Texas/red dirt country like Randy Rodgers, jason boland, turnpike etc. I would prefer an in person lesson if possible to help me get familiar with the hardware set up. I’ve been playing 6 string guitar my whole life and have a solid understanding of music theory so hopefully I’m not a total beginner. I’m open to remote lessons as well. Thanks in advance!

William Carlyle

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2024 9:40 am     Lessons

Hi Mike,

If no luck with in person lessons there you should check out You Tube for Jeff Newman, Pedal Steel Guitar. There are several videos posted that may help you get started. Locate The Right Hand Alpha (first), then his left hand technique video, as this gives you the proper hand position.This is critical to learn first for playing properly. If you can locate it, he has a Pedal Steel Guitar Techniques video which is an introduction. Then you can check out the UP from the Top A & B Pedals which gives you a pretty good start. I saw also D Lever, and F lever technique videos. His teaching makes it fairly simple to learn. Finding the tablature for these is very helpful also. As with guitar, it just takes a lot of practice. Good luck.

Billy.

Jim Pollard

Cedar Park, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2024 4:29 am    

Hi Mike,
What part of Austin are you in? If you're south/central I'd try to get a lesson with Bob Hoffnar. If you're out north I'd try Robert (Mike) Simms. Both are great guys and stellar players, though with very different styles. You can find both here on the forum.

Jim