The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Two feet on pedals...
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2024 5:34 am    

I am following different pioneers mainly Tavares bros., Vince Akina, Billy Hew Len, Basil Henriques etc. I got a bunch of inspiration from Basil's website and videos, but mostly I am making it up as I go along. My tuning is pretty similar to the one in this video. I just wish I could play as well as Basil! This approach scares people off, but this is the only way I have ever played. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXbz6b44GWY

I am not sure how relevant this is to modern C6 or E9 but this approach opens up a whole world of possibilities if you are willing to sacrifice the volume pedal. It is really almost a different instrument. You can still use your pinky I guess.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2024 5:58 am    

Here's something I'd like to see developed. The Telonics vp system in an affordable player's body mounted sensor module.

I know Dave Beaty has done some things on a small scale like in a ball cap mounted sensor for players with challenges.

I don't know where on the player such a sensor could be placed for the best action, but I believe it can be done for use on a large scale with some R&D and forward thinking.

The technology already exists with the Telonics people, it's just a matter of finding a proper enclosure and mounting location. Possibly right hand, wrist, forearm so that a slight motion would effect volume changes.

With such a system, the foot operated volume pedal could be completely eliminated leaving both feet available for pedals.

Perhaps players of 3 or 4 pedal single neck guitars might not find this useful, but players of Universal and Double neck players with more floor pedals sure would.

Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2024 7:01 am    

Quote:
aside from Curly Chalker's excellent volume pedal technique, C6 doesn't really require volume control the way E9 does. and often in the case of Ralph Mooney, neither did E9!

I hear what you're saying Scott. The Chalker gutting effect and so many other things like tremolo and B3 style comping swells rely on the VP. Yet playing without it lends itself to a more pianistic, chord - melody approach akin to jazz guitar.

Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2024 7:08 am    

Quote:
this approach opens up a whole world of possibilities if you are willing to sacrifice the volume pedal

yes indeed Tim. Nice clip of 'the other BE' two-footing it! What tuning is that? Funny I was just listening to Buddy's early version of Witchcraft last night.

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2024 8:02 am    

Andrew Frost wrote:
Quote:
this approach opens up a whole world of possibilities if you are willing to sacrifice the volume pedal

yes indeed Tim. Nice clip of 'the other BE' two-footing it! What tuning is that? Funny I was just listening to Buddy's early version of Witchcraft last night.

http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/basilPsg8StrTuning.pdf

He has a series of videos describing it (on the amazing pink guitar!) and a few more tunes here https://www.youtube.com/@basilhenriques/videos
I think there are many ways to skin this horse. I use a fully diminished tuning, and a different concept for the pedal changes, more similar to Tavares, but it appears Basil is thinking of no pedals as diminished as well. Diminished tunings work because you can resolve a dim chord to any chord. You can also create any basic chord with only a few half step changes.

My system is based on creating straight bar situations with few or no avoid notes (as long as you have the right pedals down) Scaler playing is a bit more complicated. I am trying to figure out a system that works for that, but you can always just use the 6th tuning or just noodle around in the chromatic zone of whatever chord you are playing.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2024 8:25 am    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Here's something I'd like to see developed. The Telonics vp system in an affordable player's body mounted sensor module.

not quite what you're suggesting but Junior Brown has a volume pedal operated by his right arm/elbow since he plays standing and needs at least one foot to remain that way!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2024 8:32 am    

Interesting....any links to examples of this?

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2024 9:13 am    

here you go, jump to 2:25
https://youtu.be/m9Pjpi8Jv4s

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2024 9:45 am    

Ah cool! Thanks Scott.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2024 10:52 am    

You might send a PM to Steve Cattermole. He uses both feet on C6, and it's awesome. I've seen him do a whole set and never touch his VP.

Steve Cattermole

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2024 12:55 pm    

Thanks Skip,I don't know about awesome, but I do 2 ft 100% now. It started when I saw Herb Steiners C6 essay and he showed using 5&7 for a 13th chord, so I started using my rt foot for ped 7. I tightened the tension on my volume ped so I wouldn't floor it accidentally. The more I used my rt foot the easier it got .Now I use my rt foot for ped 7,8,9 and 4,5,6, and 6&7 with my left foot , so I never have to travel very far.I play 100% C6 so I don't really miss my VP. I set it at the start of a gig and don't touch it the rest of the gig. My Infinity steel has a ton of sustain so if I set the VP correctly I can pick a little harder for more sustain or softer as needed.Ther is a video on youtube of me playing "Witchcraft" and when I hear it I don't come away thinking,man I really need to use my VP, but you might not agree. I see Buddy using 5,6,7 to get a 13 flat 9 chord

Steve Cattermole

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2024 1:07 pm    

If you 2 foot you can hit 4 pedals and 2 knee levers at the same time which gives you a lot of options

John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2024 2:57 pm    

Steve Cattermole wrote:
If you 2 foot you can hit 4 pedals and 2 knee levers at the same time which gives you a lot of options

You forget the vertical Smile

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2024 3:28 pm    

I agree with Scott that C6 is not so dependent on the VP, so two-footing should maybe not be such an issue.
Yet here we are! Smile

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2024 3:48 pm    

Good info here. Still like to explore the Telonics sensor control deal.

Only drawback I can see might be having to adust the right knees for length and/or tilt due to not having the vp height for the right foot....and of course the resistance of some players because they think they couldn't get used to doing without the actual volume pedal mass under their foot.

Steve Cattermole

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2024 5:38 pm    

You're correct John , I did forget the vertical, and the wrist lever

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2024 7:08 pm    

somewhat related...
I'm sure it's a small number but I'd be interested to know who else uses a vertical on their right knee? I've got one on both my D-10s which work on the back neck only, giving me 7x7 on C6. no wrist levers yet!

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2024 12:37 am    

I've considered a RKV, but I've always thought that the likelihood of it being usable wouldn't be enough to justify the trouble of installing one Smile

John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2024 1:52 am    

Steve Cattermole wrote:

Plus the Uri Geller mind bender

Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2024 9:00 am    

Quote:

Steve Cattermole wrote:

Plus the Uri Geller mind bender

....... Laughing Wink the Geller pedal is crucial!