The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mesa Boogie California Tweed for Pedal Steel
Brendan Mullins

Northern California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2024 8:52 am    

Hello, all.

Looking into getting an amplifier that can double as a country guitar and pedal steel amp. Leaning towards something with some modern conveniences, like attenuation, which the Mesa Boogie California Tweed has. Used ones can be snagged for a decent price. Seems like the 40w version could do everything I need. Anyone have experience with this amp for steel? Hard to play one first sadly, so I may buy it unheard. Hoping 40w will have enough overhead for small gigs/live band. Cheers.

-Brendan
Plenty of other fun gear

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2024 6:03 am    

I would be surprised if any steeler has tried this but you never know. The late Bobby Lee used a Mesa Boogie at one time but not this model and I don't think he played regular guitar. I have never seen that amp in use at any steel show in 30 plus years of attending. I have a Peavey Classic 30 and a 50 watt Tweed. They probably wouldn't compare but neither work for me as steel amps. I will include my Tweed Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. But they are great guitar amps. Good luck.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2024 9:06 am    

After seeing Brendan's post I tried steel through my '87 Mark III. Not bad but not great. For roughly the same bux my Milkman PS-300 sounds much better and will do double duty with six-string.

Comparing a Mark III with a California Tweed might be apples-and-oranges, but M-B has always had the reputation of being what you went for if you wanted modern rock overdrive.

They've never made a steel-oriented amplifier.

Last edited by Dave Hopping on 27 Apr 2024 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2024 9:55 am    

Brendan,
I borrowed a MB “DC” series amp on one show. The owner dialed it in and I liked it. It was around 30 ways so it had to be mic’d. if you can find one with higher headroom, and possibly try it out, you might like it. I have a couple of guitarist friends who swear by MB and claim that you have to know how to dial them in. One of them dialed in a Son of Boogie for me and it was awesome to me. And it had plenty of headroom. I once purchased a Satellite 60 and utilized a 7 band graphic with it and got it dialed in. I should have kept that one. It was easy to set and had plenty of headroom. Of course YMMV.

Good luck,
MB

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2024 10:01 am    

Brendan,
You could contact fellow forumite Chance Duhon. He’s a guitarist/steel guitarist AND he’s a MB user. He also builds/modifies amps. He might save you some time and money by sharing his knowledge with you.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Carey Hofer

South Dakota, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2024 11:18 am    

Or. . . Try a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe IV, (the newest version). Around 40 lbs, best sounding of the 4 versions (IMHO), less twang than a regular Fender Deluxe Reverb. I have tried it with my lap steel, very nice tone in my opinion.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2024 11:44 am    

Larry Dering wrote:
I would be surprised if any steeler has tried this but you never know. The late Bobby Lee used a Mesa Boogie at one time but not this model and I don't think he played regular guitar. I have never seen that amp in use at any steel show in 30 plus years of attending. I have a Peavey Classic 30 and a 50 watt Tweed. They probably wouldn't compare but neither work for me as steel amps. I will include my Tweed Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. But they are great guitar amps. Good luck.

b0b likely used the Mesa Boogie amp because he worked for the company many years ago in Petaluma. I don’t recall off the top of my head if any Mesa amps were for sale when Ross Shafer (Sierra pedal steels) was helping Mrs. Lee to sell b0b’s gear at his barn (also in Petaluma).

Brendan Mullins

Northern California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2024 3:48 pm    

Thanks for the thoughts, all. Maybe I'll sit on it. Probably would have been better if I just asked what people think of Fender Tweed's for pedal steel, since this is more or less what this amp circuit is. Cheers.
Plenty of other fun gear

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2024 5:51 pm    

Tweeds?
I have a reissue tweed 4-10" Bassman that sounds a lot like the ones I played six-string thru back in the day. It was OK for steel, although not very much low end. I used to have a late '80s-early '90s 2-12 tweed Blues DeVille. It was pretty shrill and IIRC was also a little light on the low end. Might have been OK with humbuckers but I was playing Teles then and couldn't get what I wanted tonewise. Looked cooler than the other side of the pillow, though. Winking

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2024 11:50 am    

Use a clean amp for steel and get your compression and grit from stomp boxes for 6 string.
I have used Fender Tone Master twin with a black Box in front.
Now using a little Walter PF89 with TT-12 and that seems to have solved most all my sound needs.
32 Lb. head, 27 Lb. speaker cab.
I wouldn't buy an amp before you could try it.

Last edited by Ken Metcalf on 30 Apr 2024 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2024 6:04 am    

Regarding the Little Walter PF-89 (from their web site):

The 100 watt "Paul Franklin Signature 89" has a 12AX7 preamp tube, a 12AX7 mid-amp tube and a 12AX7 phase inverter tube and 4 - 6L6's power tubes. Power rectification is handled by a GZ34.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2024 1:12 pm    

Brendan Mullins wrote:
Thanks for the thoughts, all. Maybe I'll sit on it. Probably would have been better if I just asked what people think of Fender Tweed's for pedal steel, since this is more or less what this amp circuit is. Cheers.

Brandon,
I have played a Cali Reverb, a couple Rectifiers, a Mark IIC+ , and currently own a Mark V 35. My experience is Mesas can either sound awesome or awful depending on how they are dialed in and that can take time and patience. Chance Duhaun I can vouch for his ability to expand more on this. i have not tried a pedal steel through one but a regular guitar. The cleans can be great but as I said dialing em in is sometimes hair pulling depending on which model. The tone stack and gain structure on some of them every knob adjustment can affect another knob it seems like 🙀🤔
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!