The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Replaced The Molex Pins On Session 400
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2024 5:30 pm    

I have a 1974 Session 400. I bought it new that year. Over the years it's been serviced which required pulling the plastic Molex connectors from the circuit boards. For 50 years, I would have to occasionally remove them and try to squeeze the female connectors to get better connections. Lately, it's been cutting in and out. I finally bought new female and male pins and replaced all of them inside the plastic connectors. Instead of crimping them as the factory did, I did soft crimps, and soldered the wires to the pins and reinstalled them into the plastic connectors. Amazing difference. Totally quiet and full power again. I did a capacitor mod upgrade in 2013. I also, upgraded the power transistors to the ones used in the Nashville 400. If you're having to pound on the top of your Session 400 to get it to act right, I highly recommend re-pinning the Molex connectors. I have a flat spider magnet 1501 in it. Great tone.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2024 5:54 pm    

It's a shame that Peavey used the Molex system. I had to deal with them in older Ford and Chrysler vehicles. I once complained to the Ford service manager, he told me "they made it way out of warranty before they gave problems" The same is true for Peavey!

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2024 10:55 am    

I find that re-tensing them, then using Magic Juice (Caig DeOxit/ProGold) works great. After using the Juice plug/unplug several times to teach it who's boss.