The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Justice S10 3x4 vs GFI Student Model 3x4
Paul Mageau

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2024 12:26 pm    

Hello again!

Thanks to everyone who pushed me over the edge, gently Smile , from a six string to a 10 string pedal steel when I recently asked my newbie question: 6 vs 10 string.

Now, what to buy....

I am a newbie PSG player but know alot of theory and have played guitar for a very long time

I would like to buy a guitar for less than $2k if possible.
Single neck, S10. 3x2 minimum, 3x4 desired or at least an upgrade path to 3x4.
E9 Emmons Copedant is fine

I have thought about Stage one, Mullen, and others but their build times are insane. Luckily the Justice and the GFI are not that long a lead time.

If you had to choose which would you choose and why ? Justice S10 3x4($1870 delivered, new) vs GFI Student Model 3x4($1500 delivered, used)

Thanks!

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2024 1:35 pm    

The Justice for two reasons.

Same as the Encore, made by Doug at Stage One, is an upgrade from the Stage One because it is an all-pull guitar vs a pull-release, the Justice is all-pull, the GFI is pull-release. Not that pull-release is inferior. But all-pull is superior. Razz

And there is always a hazard in buying a used guitar. They are machines. Playing puts wear on them. Unless you can check it out with an expert, it is always a crap shoot. A new Justice all-pull beats a used GFI pull-release by a good bit.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2024 1:38 pm    

Justice by all means. It's an all pull guitar. The student gfi, I believe,is a pull and release. RP

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2024 2:53 pm    

Justice and GFI are both great companies. The Justice S10 is easier for a student to deal with, I think, and changes can be added to it later if you get a very basic one. Talk to Ron about your needs. He’s great to work with.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2024 5:44 pm    

Here's one you can't lose on. I had one of these and they are light and well built. I love the pedals on these. You can add changes Via Jim Palenscar. Good luck.Ron P

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=398233

Rick Grieco

Long Island, New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2024 6:32 pm    

I highly recommend the Justice for all the reasons mentioned above. Ron Anderson builds amazing pro level steels at very reasonable prices. I love mine...it's one beautiful instrument that is gorgeous and sounds absolutely awesome!
Fender Champion 50XL
Gibson SG Standard
Gretsch G5422-12

Paul Mageau

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2024 6:09 am    

I spoke with Ron yesterday at Justice about their S10 model. What a nice and helpful guy. I didn't understand why so many constantly recommend their PSGs and now I understand. I didn't realize all of the flexibility of even the base machine has for growth. I love that!

Once again thanks all for you super helpful comments and recommendations. I am convinced I will get a Justice S10!