The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Distortion Pedal Help
Gary Meixner

New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2024 2:11 pm    

I need a little advice with setting up my effects signal chain.

I am playing a Clinesmith lapsteel through a Milkman "The Amp". I almost always play with a fairly clean sound and use limited effects with the exception of reverb and occasionally tremolo which are on the amp. If I am looking for some dirt I boost the channel volume and back off the master on my amp. This gives me a nice slushy distortion.

I am in a situation now where I need to create more sonic intrigue and am putting together a pedal board with reverb/delay, wah pedal, phase shifter and some other devices. I would like to add a distortion pedal so I can leave my amp setting on clean but don't like any of the pedals I have tried. They either sound annoyingly fizzy or way too aggressive.

I do have a Rockett Blue Note that sounds close what I am looking for but it sounds best when placed after the volume pedal. That placement seems counter intuitive and I anticipate it causing trouble with the other effects.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this - your help is greatly appreciated.

Gary

GaryL

Medina, OH USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2024 4:16 pm     Distortion

Strymon Sunset. Worth every penny.

Fred

Amesbury, MA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2024 5:56 am    

I always come back to the SansAmp Classic. It's very versatile but not very intuitive.

I've always put distortion after my volume pedal. It seems more natural to me. More dynamic. If it's before the volume pedal I think it sounds like a synthesizer with a distorted guitar preset. But to each his own.

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2024 7:10 am    

I ordered this little guy after hearing some really nice sounds out of it with Stratocaster and Telecaster guitars. I'll post a report here once I have a chance to wring it out with a pedal steel.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TwinTwelveJA--jackson-audio-1484-twin-twelve-pedal

https://youtu.be/YT5L5cuFRvk?si=QZ2H2NQ7OYZRa5ve

Last edited by Dave Grafe on 15 Apr 2024 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Jacob Yergert

Centennial, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2024 7:11 am     Re: Distortion Pedal Help

Gary Meixner wrote:
They either sound annoyingly fizzy or way too aggressive.

Gary

Are you looking more for a low-to-mid gain overdrive then? Maybe try the J Rockett The Dude if you like their stuff, or the Greer Southland has a nice smooth drive to it.

Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2024 7:27 am    

A lot of six guitar pedals don’t work well on Steel guitars because of the pickup differences. ( winding, impedance etc).

Try “Steeltronic’s, Scott has designed a great distortion pedal especially for the “Steel” called the STO Overdrive

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2024 8:36 am    

I tried searching Youtube for

pedal steel guitar distortion overdrive

and not a lot came up.

I know what you mean about a lot of the demos.
I've recently been looking at product demo videos for OD/Dist pedals for 6 string.
Almost NONE of them spend any time with the slightly overdriven to clean range.
WTH????!!!!!

Here's a thought: Maybe some enterprising PSG'er with access to several OD/Dist pedals could do a video comparing them.
Hopefully a short video.
With little talking.
And time stamps.
(Whew, that was close. Almost went on a rant about YT videos there.)

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2024 9:12 am    

I like Xotic BB Preamp or RC Booster. Very organic sounding, not buzzy. They have tone controls too.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Gary Meixner

New York, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2024 3:59 pm    

Hey, thanks for the replies. Today I listened to a video of the Nocturne Jr Barnyard pedal and thought it sounded great with standard guitar - wondering how it will sound with steel? I have tried several OD devices but always put them ahead of the volume pedal; the Blue Note is the only one I tried after the volume pedal and maybe that is what I need to do. I think I will try reverb, delay and phase shifter ahead of the volume pedal; overdrive and wah after the volume pedal. Thanks again.

G. Meixner

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2024 3:25 am    

Have you tried OD both before AND after the VP? I frequently do that. I have a Fender steel with built in effects that go before the VP but I have a little amp Reverb too. It’s more natural sounding for volume swells. Some phase shifters like MXR can’t handle pedal steel pickup output so I put them after the VP to avoid unwanted crunch.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2024 5:22 am    

To add to K Maul's post:

There are a few videos that compare/demo the three Xotic pedals side by side.
RC,
AC
and BB.

Greg Forsyth

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2024 11:12 am     xotic ep booster

I'd like to throw the Xotic EP Booster into the mix. Also very organic tone. I use it after the VP but should probably see what it sounds like before the VP.

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2024 12:45 pm    

Following up, I received this little jewel today and it is all I had hoped for and more. I wanted a good 6-string front end device for my recording rig but I can see it will def be riding with in the pack-a-seat to my pedal steel shows going forward. Besides sounding great as expected with my 6-string guitars, it is the first overdrive/distortion pedal I have ever used with a pedal steel that delivers the subtle edge I have long enjoyed with my vintage Fender Vibroverb amps, but through my JBL-loaded Webb without sounding the least bit ragged or nasty. Placed between the VP and Webb input I easily dialed up a smooth continuum from warm clean tone to Lindley-esque Dumble growl to wide-open Marshall howl a la Duane Allman. I can't wait to take it to work with me this weekend and throw down some serious wail when the boys call for the usual blues and rockabilly tunes, Stones, Bighead Todd, or Pink Floyd. Plus it has a true bypass function so I can put it between my VP and amp input without affecting the normal signal performance when not engaged.

I'll be taking this sweet toy up to visit local stompbox maven Jon Light really soon for a second opinion, but for the moment I have found my own personal slice of fuzzy-wuzzy heaven. Total cost new under $280 with shipping, and I know I'm done looking.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2024 1:58 pm    

Check out the Sarno Earth Drive, it's one of the best I have used... I prefer it between the guitar and the VP.
I also use the Nutradrive on my Benado PF board ... wired the same way as the ED.
Both of these sound pretty similar and offer a more creamy Drive, without breaking up too much so they are much more "Steel friendly" :-}
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2024 9:10 am    

Well, if you want something to place before the VP then the Exotic EP and other clean boosters won't get what you're looking for... overdriving your VP is probably not going to sound great, if active... if passive, you won't overdrive the amp until you go fast.

Since you don't mention armpit use then the Sarno is the standard around here... takes close intervals nicer than the more square-wavey stuff like the Rat or SansAmp. Very adjustable.

Gary Meixner

New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2024 5:43 am    

This discussion has been so helpful. Putting the OD after the VP has made all the difference. I can get an acceptable tone with my Blue Note in this configuration and will give your other pedal suggestions a try. I am confident now I can find what I am looking for. I have been playing music a long time but never spent much time experimenting with effects - having fun. Thanks.

G. Meixner

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2024 6:31 pm    

Earth Drive when I use one. Which is seldom.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2024 10:14 pm    

Quote:
I think I will try reverb, delay and phase shifter ahead of the volume pedal; overdrive and wah after the volume pedal.

I won’t say don’t do this, but only because doing it won’t damage anything. Other than that, I can’t imagine it would sound better than putting the overdrive ahead of reverb and delay, in that order. Phaser and Wah can swing both ways, though, but try them in front of the OD first.

If you have an FX Loop, run your delay-chorus-reverb into that.

Visit the Strymon website for more expertise on the subject:
https://www.strymon.net/setting-up-your-effect-signal-chain/

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2024 12:21 am     Ed

After trying many different pedals, I always come back to my Earth Drive. My all-time favorite.

Gary Meixner

New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2024 10:06 am    

Fred, Thanks you. I have had limited experience stringing multiple effects together in the signal path. Up to this point I have been guessing at what would work best. Your advice is very much appreciated. I will check out the Strymon website.

G. Meixner

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2024 7:12 pm    

Gary
A mistake of sorts in post, reverb would be the last effect in the chain. A delay after it would repeat the reverb, and that could get a bit muddy..

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2024 2:58 am    

Piling on the Sarno Earth Drive... Just love it for PSG... My favorite, for sure.

I am also impressed with Scott Swartz' STO Steel Tuned Overdrive because it is designed and voiced specifically for the steel guitar’s bright acoustic tone, and the clean amplifiers and the low distortion/wide bandwidth speakers used by steel players.