The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who Played Steel on the New Mitski Record?
Thomas de Bourbon

Los Angeles, California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2023 8:53 am    

Beautiful playing but I am unable to find any info on the credits. Anyone know?

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2023 9:23 am    

I see a credit for Fats Kaplin.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2023 1:26 pm    

Interesting article mentions Mitski:

https://consequence.net/2023/10/pedal-steel-country-indie-mitksi-wednesday/2/

Charlie Hansen

Halifax, NS Canada and Various Southern Towns.
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2023 5:59 am    

Apparently it's Fats Kaplin. At least on the Latest project.
Oh, someone beat me to it.
A Touch Of Texas CIOE FM 97.5 Sackville, NS, Canada,
on the web at cioe975.ca.

Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2024 9:04 am    

The hit "single" from this album,"My Love Mine All Mine," has some really nice, understated Fats Kaplan steel, and unless I'm reading it wrong, it has had 830 MILLION streams on Spotify.

That's pretty mindblowing.

She's playing the Ryman here the next 4 nights (probably the last time she'll do a medium-size theater tour with those kind of numbers!). Fats is playing steel, violin and who knows what else in her touring band. Pretty cool use of steel in low-key, atmospheric pop music in my opinion.

The song itself starts at around the 32 second mark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx4kLgnFexo

Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2024 8:32 am    

My wife and I went to see the first of 4 sold-out Mitski concerts at the Ryman; We'd both enjoyed the new album and Fats is a long-time friend (my wife was already a fan, it was all new to me). Great 7-piece band, and a great show - she is very theatrical in a cool way that we enjoyed. There were a couple of big surprises...

One: I have never seen anywhere near such a crazed, enthusiastic audience at the Ryman and I've seen probably 100 shows there over the past 30 years (and played quite a few myself). They were predominantly young and female, singing along and screaming at the end of songs. This woman is on the verge of major stardom, though with streaming numbers past a billion I guess she's already there.

Two: The show and music that people were going absolutely nuts over featured a lot of pedal-steel throughout. The music is more about pop "textures" than fills and solos but the keys and guitars more often than not were supporting whatever Fats was doing (he also played some violin/fiddle and accordian). Steel is only on 4 songs on the new record (and none on her earlier records that I know of) so it was really surprising and cool to hear how much they'd built the live show arrangements around it. Really prominent, creative steel with a big pop act can only be a good thing! The long world-wide tour they're starting is already mostly sold-out well into the summer.

Thomas de Bourbon

Los Angeles, California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2024 8:59 am    

Pete Finney wrote:
One: I have never seen anywhere near such a crazed, enthusiastic audience at the Ryman and I've seen probably 100 shows there over the past 30 years (and played quite a few myself). They were predominantly young and female, singing along and screaming at the end of songs. This woman is on the verge of major stardom, though with streaming numbers past a billion I guess she's already there.

Two: The show and music that people were going absolutely nuts over featured a lot of pedal-steel throughout. The music is more about pop "textures" than fills and solos but the keys and guitars more often than not were supporting whatever Fats was doing (he also played some violin/fiddle and accordian). Steel is only on 4 songs on the new record (and none on her earlier records that I know of) so it was really surprising and cool to hear how much they'd built the live show arrangements around it. Really prominent, creative steel with a big pop act can only be a good thing! The long world-wide tour they're starting is already mostly sold-out well into the summer.

This!! I made a post about Faye Webster last month, who I just saw at Coachella last weekend. Her music features so much pedal steel, and her audience is also predominantly young and female, screaming at the end of songs. I'm 21 and when I talk to people my age about pedal steel, their frame of reference is Faye Webster or Mitski. Pedal steel is on the upswing right now in indie/pop music!

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2024 3:51 pm    

I was just talking to Fats and he may come on the forum at some point. Anyway it looks like things are blowing up fast for Mitski. He used his S10 Emmons for the recording and will be bringing it to Europe. It’s the same steel he has been playing for at least 30 years.

I’ll bug him to join the forum. He said the Ryman shows were wild. Multiple nights ,packed house and the audience going bananas !