The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Any 6 String PSG players out there ? Need advice !!
Paul Mageau

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2024 5:05 am    

HI Folks,

This is my first time posting but I have been researching all things pedals steels on this site. Wow, you guys are awesome! Love the advice and wisdom.

Anyway, I have been playing guitar for 50+ years and have always loved pedal steel. I am considering a 6 string as an entry instrument to this world. I do not expect to be gigging. This is purely retirement enjoyment !

My concerns are that I want as easy a transition into pedal steel guitar as possible so the instrument does not get in the way or discourage me learning pedal steel technique because of unfamiliarity or complexity or ???. I know if I am into this, I "might" upgrade later.

I have read countless threads on this form about why to step up to a S10 PSG and understand why one might want a 10 string over a 6 string. However I'd like to hear from the 6 string owners as to why you chose 6 over 10 string. I expect that it may take quite a while before I would fully utilize a 10 string anyway Smile

For those who own or have owned or considered buying a 6 string:
* Are you still happy with your purchase.
* If you found a 6 and 10 string PSG for the same price, would you still buy a 6 string ?
* Which 6 string did you buy ?
* If you started all over would you start with an 10 string model ?

Thanks all !
Paul

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2024 6:28 am    

I don't have a 6 string pedal steel but have played some. But I am a guy who played regular guitar for 50 years and then moved to pedal steel in my late 60's and who has spent the last 2 years trying as many steel combinations, strings, necks as I could. Here is my opinion based on that:

if you want to learn to play Pedal steel get a s10 3x4 with emmons setup. couple of reasons:

1. MOST LEARNING MATERIAL is for 10 string E9th 3x4 pedal steels. There will be nothing for 6 string.

2. Resell value stinks: a used good quality S10 3x4 will hold its value and you will be able to sell it for what you paid for it. Unlikely in the case of a 6 string.

It is difficult enough to learn to play without cutting yourself off from most lessons and tutorials on steel playing. There is absolutely zero advantage, in my opinion, by starting on 6 strings.

Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2024 6:32 am     Six Strings vs. Anything Else

Dear Paul - Lots of players here did Lap steel & Dobro before going into pedal steel, including Lloyd Green;, and the instrument itself evolved from 8 strings to 10. The factors involved are going to be what style of music you want to make. That will help determine the tuning & set up.

Good luck on your journey. Six strings is also a lot cheaper which always helps. What kind of music would you like to play is the most important question.

Paul Strojan

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2024 7:47 am    

I have an 8 string Jackson with a couple of wrist levers. I like the guitar but it is really limited in what it can do which makes things more complicated. There is a logic to the 10 string E9 setup that makes it simpler to play than a less robust set up. For a beginner, C6 lap steel is a good place to start to learn the bar and picking techniques.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2024 8:33 am    

My path was

Over a decade of electric and acoustic guitar playing. Mostly self taught, metal, hard rock, a little bit of country lead guitar. Quite a bit of self taught and professionally taught music theory basics (this will really help demystify the PSG, the theory is half the battle imo).

I caught the PSG bug from listening to lots of The Byrds Sweethearts of the Rodeo and Sneaky Pete's work on Flying Burrito Bros records.

I have about a dozen standard electric guitars and have never spent over 1500 on one so the price investment for a PSG was quite discouraging at first but I decided that If I was gonna pursue it I didn't want the excuse of "well I just don't have good hardware" to be a possible excuse.

I got a cheap 6 string lap steel in C6 for about a year before I could afford a PSG. Used an Ernie ball volume pedal and some cheap finger picks to start getting used to the picking and some bar fundamentals as well as the elements of swelling into and out of notes.

Finally got a 10 string E9 standard Emmons setup 3x4 Jackson Maverick HD armed with Paul Franklin's E9 intro course. Coincidentally this was about 3 months into COVID so I had lots of time to practice and get acquainted with it.

At some point I'd like to explore Extended E9 as a couple of my favorite players play that setup, and add a Franklin pedal and a vertical knee lever. But anytime I get discouraged by not having a change a certain lick would be easier (or possible) with I remind myself that Lloyd Green does all he does without dropping his E strings.

As others have stated there is an absolute plethora of learning material in E9 and the resale value if you decide it isn't worth the time investment.

If all you want is that I to IV chord AB pedals change by all means get a 6 string but with the full setup it opens up endless possibilities.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Last edited by John Larson on 17 Apr 2024 8:41 am; edited 3 times in total

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2024 8:35 am    

Your question is very good because you already know the general opinion (which I share) but there's a lot less info from people who actually play a 6 stringer.

Just one point that you may or may not understand --
6 string pedal steel is not more compatible for a 6 string Spanish guitar player just because it has 6 strings. They are different enough animals that it would be a mistake to be swayed by the logic that it must be more similar than a 10 string.

I'm not saying that you implied this but I just wanted to be sure that you had that clarity.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2024 8:44 am    

Jon Light wrote:

Just one point that you may or may not understand --
6 string pedal steel is not more compatible for a 6 string Spanish guitar player just because it has 6 strings. They are different enough animals that it would be a mistake to be swayed by the logic that it must be more similar than a 10 string.

The first time I ever sat down behind a PSG at Billy Cooper's the string spacing was so different from even my lap steel it was very jarring. The number of strings, material of the string, a pickup, and tuners is about the only thing PSG has in common with standard electric.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2024 8:49 am    

For strictly learning purposes, a C6 lap steel can keep you in 6(or 8 ) string territory and not break the bank, but give you some acquaintance with picking groups as well as right hand position. The last two were what I found the most difficult to learn

If you want to sound like what you heard back in the Nineties on the radio and the juke box, a 10 or 12 string E9 pedal steel is the way to go. The prices will give a six-stringer a case of sticker shock and present you with a lot more things to learn, but as said before good ones hold their value and have much greater capability. Winking

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2024 9:03 am    

Though many here are traditionalists and would say to definitely go with 10 strings, I think a 6-stringer might be fine to start with! The string spacing is more like a guitar, and there's the advantage of not having to think about 4 extra strings. Learning material is scarce, but a skilled guitar player can figure out a lot on his own, and by watching videos like those below. Here are a few examples I've found of 6-string pedal players, and I'm sure there are many more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKdeid_MBqo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4CzhNQGTYk&t=80s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLG_SSA--wo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE9WzdHhYEs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fCP8M-T17Y

Fred

Amesbury, MA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2024 10:33 am    

After playing lap steel for many years and swearing I would never go to pedals someone gave me a Fessenden Six Shooter.
Six strings with two pedals. I tried a few things with it and then got a 12 string universal so...

I still play it now and then with Bobby Lee's D/G tuning and the first two pedals. https://b0b.com/wp/2020/07/d-g-for-6-string-pedal-steel/ I'd really like to try the complete copedent someday.

Given the choice between a simple six string with a couple of pedals and a 10 string with 3+2 I'd go for the 10 string.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2024 10:38 am    

I'll throw my 2ยข in here. I'm a pedal steel player for around 45 yrs. I've played 12 and 14 stringers and D10s for most of that.

I play all kinds of music from big band/light jazz to classic rock and just about everything in between.

I got a hankering to try a 6 string pedal steel a few years ago and found one with 3 pedals and 4 knees. There's a lot you can do with 6 strings...depends on how you set it up. There are better ways to set them up to get the most out of them, but most players have them tuned EBG# in octaves. That is fine but you don't have the chromatic string notes, [unless you have levers tuned that way] and that makes for some limitations for playing the traditional way.

I was a seasoned player when I had my 6 and so I knew my way around the E9 tuning and knew how to find stuff in a different way than with a standard E9 10 string tuning and setup. I also wasn't looking for just that tuning but some things outside the box and more in a standard guitar mode.

Seems to me it's easier for a knowledgeable player to get by with fewer strings, pedals and levers, and changes but for a beginner looking for the traditional country stuff they hear on recordings, one may be frustrated and disappointed with the limitations of a 6 banger, particularly those with only 2 pedals and levers.

That's supposing one wants to primarily play the traditional steel stuff. If you have other goals, things may be different.

That's my opinion FWIW.

Paul Mageau

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2024 3:38 pm    

Thanks everyone for your opinions and help! You've sold me, I will start with a S10! The lack of lessons, tutorials, and books on learning a 6 string pedal steel AND the resale market which would be limited is what swayed me Smile

Now I need to find an S10 I can afford! I am thinking perhaps a Justice S10, ShoNuf S10, or an GFI Student Model ? Any suggestions ?

Thanks again!

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2024 3:46 pm    

People can recommend better if they knew your budget. What is your top line number?

Paul Mageau

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2024 6:43 pm    

Good point Bill Smile I'd like to stay below $2K if possible.

I have been looking at used and new but not being experienced in the which features matter, all I am doing is looking at price which is not the. whole story I know.

Are these any good to start with ?

New or Used Justice S10
Used Stage One (since they are not taking orders)
New or Used GFI SM S10 Student Model
Growler ShoNuff SD10
Hudson S10
I might be convinced to spend more on a used **Mullen Discovery** that was available now. They too have a huge production backlog.

Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 18 Apr 2024 1:33 pm    

I'm not exactly your target audience, but I play guitar as a first instrument, after which I picked up 12 string pedal steel and 6 string lap steel.

I can say without hesitation that the 12 string pedal steel is the easiest to play out of the two steels! It gives me so many easy ways to play basic riffs and progressions. With less strings, you'll be more limited in your options and may have to employ more slants. Slants are, IMO, harder to pull off in tune than pedal work.

Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2024 2:45 pm    

All roads lead to Rome.

Pick a way to go and dig in.

In the late 90s when I was getting obsessed with steel guitar, I almost bought a Fender 400. It was about 800$ in a local shop up here.
I talked to Al Brisco about it and he strongly discouraged me.
To me that is a road never taken, I'll never know if that instrument would have indeed been a nightmare as Al described, but I kept playing lap steel and then bought a Stage One several years later.

You could spend a lifetime on 6 strings. More is not always more...
That said, a decent single neck 10 string sounds like a good option.
Good luck with it!