The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Boss Katana 50 mkII: Day two
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2024 4:28 am    

I've been feeling the need for a relatively inexpensive, lightweight 12" combo amp as a grab and go for rehearsals, lessons, and such. I thought the DV Mark Jazz 12 would do it for me, but it never quite cut it in a rehearsal. I finally pulled the trigger on the Katana 50, and since they are selling used close to what I could get one new, I bit the bullet yesterday on a new one. My first impressions were not positive. But once I got past stupidly wondering why it didn't sound nearly as good as my $1500 tube amp (duh!), I started fresh this morning and feel like it is something I can work with.

I first set the amp to as close as I could get turning knobs (and following some pointers from various threads here on the Forum), and then did some deep tweaking in the Tone Studio program. I ended up with something that is perfectly acceptable for at-home practicing. I suspect breaking in the brand new speaker will improve the tone further. In time, if it really is a keeper, I might also try closing off the back a little as some have recommended.

If this is like, well, every other amp I have ever owned(!), playing in a rehearsal with other instruments is going to change everything tonally. And I absolutely can't be holding up rehearsal while I hook up to my laptop and digitally turn knobs. But I see there is a bluetooth app, Katana Librarian, which might make digital tweaking realistic in a rehearsal situation. I also see that one needs a bluetooth adapter to do this. Has anyone here gone this route, much less successfully?

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2024 7:31 am    

Dan, I use the app with my phone and tablet. It works fine. You need the OTG (on the go) adapter for Android. The app was under 10 bucks. I'm using it on the Katana 100. I'm sure you have figured out how to save your presets. It does a decent job once you find your sweet spot on the mids.

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2024 7:21 am    

Dan: I use the librarian on a $30 kindle, works great. I’ve had a 100 since they 1st came out, great amp. My son and I removed the MDF cab and replaced it with solid pine dove tail joints, big improvement in sound.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2024 4:41 pm    

Thanks Bruce. I think I'll give it a try!

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2024 7:36 am    

If you don’t have Bluetooth, or if you have a Mk1, you can adjust the gain/volume/tone knobs on the panel while using any saved patch. Just like working with any other normal amp. You can adjust effects, too, but that can get a little confusing if you cross the midpoint with the knob. The changes you make won’t be saved until you go through the physical save process with the patch buttons on the panel. If you mess things up, just change patches and then go back to the one you were working with and start over.

Virgil Franklin

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2024 8:26 am    

I use a Mk2 Boss Katana 100 watt and it is amazing...
the 50 watt is fine..
change the speaker though..
TT 12 is a huge upgrade