The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Uni Pedal Placement Help Please
Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2024 11:08 am    

I am experimenting with installing an additional pedal or lever on a 12 string Universal and would appreciate some input as to where would be the most advantageous place to install it. I am including the snip below depicting the typical Jeff Newman pedal placements and the "Hughey" pedal to the side. Do I place the Boo-wah pedal back into the Pedal 8 slot or ??? I had the "Hughey" pedal in the Pedal 4 position on my D10 so I'm leaning to placing it there on the Uni, but would like some input from the more experienced Uni & 6th tuning players. TIA for you help.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2024 1:55 pm    

I have a feeling you are the the new owner of the Fessenden SD12 in the Forum For Sale Section.

Decision. Do you want to look at the Uni. tuning as 1 big tuning, Or add a lever lock and play the guitar, As a E9th neck and B6th neck separately. In a lighter, smaller body.

Since you are coming from D10 to S12 U. Suggest you maintain your E9th pedals in order. Put the Huey pedal as pedal 4. Keep Mr. Huey's "Kroger Neck" original setup.

Where do you have the Boo Wah pedal on your D10?
May determine the next step, Move the Boo Wah to 8th pedal, Or move 4 through 7, 1 to the right, And make the Boo Wah pedal 5.

Decision. Do I move any Knee Levers.

Good Luck in this adventure, Happy Steelin.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2024 2:58 pm    

I have tried the boowah in position 4 and wished it was at 8 and vice versa. It's 50/50.

A while back I realised that its most frequent use is just to raise string 7 a half step, so I put that change on a lever and I seldom use the pedal now.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2024 4:19 pm    

It would be more important to me to have that "Hughey" pedal on 4 as it combines with pedal 5. That's where I have it on my D10.

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 4 Apr 2024 4:57 pm    

Thanks folks! I was leaning to having the pedals setup like my D10 to maintain familiarity, but I’d like to think that I could adapt to something different. I’ve wanted to put my energies into a Uni since attending Jeff’s school in 1981, but didn’t do it because I didn’t want to create a trainwreck on a bandstand/stage—now it’s just me and the dog. lol

Bobby, I’m considering several axes, and I’m hoping to play it as one integrated tuning. I even have one combination that creates the ideal Dobro/Cajun tuning within the E9th. I’ve already done it successfully on a 10 string so now I’m renewing my efforts to integrate the 6th tuning capabilities.

Thanks again to everyone!

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2024 7:00 am    

My Boo Wah is P8...
[/img]

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

1997 Carter U-12 Double Body-Natural Birdseye Maple-8p/5k, Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp, Goodrich L10K Vol. Pedal, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Behringer UMC-204HD Audio Interface, AKAI MPK Mini MK3 Professional Midi Keyboard/Controller, Gretsch Bobtail Resonator, Fender Banjo, Rondo SX Lap Steel (C6), DIY Lap Steel (Open D), a few Mojo Hand Cigar Box Guitars (MojoHandGuitars.com).

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 8 Apr 2024 11:39 am    

Thank you John! I’ve picked up an idea from you.

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2024 6:14 pm    

Why don't you try my D13th? It's the most complete universal tuning to date.

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 9 Apr 2024 5:51 am    

Johnny, I’ve been watching the evolution of your tuning and I attended one of your sessions in Dallas back in ??(probably your first demo) I have your setup and some others that are on the table. My first efforts will be adjusting to 12 strings. Then I’ll make a decision concerning the tuning/copedant. Thanks for touching base!

Markus Mayerhofer

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2024 12:25 am    

Johnny Cox wrote:
Why don't you try my D13th? It's the most complete universal tuning to date.

A big shoutout for the D13th!
One root note for both 9th and 6th pedals makes the difference, truly universal...

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2024 7:16 pm    

When I went from 10 String E9th to Newman Universal, I moved the E's from left knee to RKL Raise, RKR lower. Only took a few days of wood shedding to change knee levers.
The worst change was the 6-8-10 grip to 6-9-10, Took a lot of work moving my thumb pick, Just 1 string.

Good Luck on your adventure, Happy Steelin.

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2024 5:44 pm    

Marty Broussard wrote:
Thank you John! I’ve picked up an idea from you.

Great! Jeff Newman's Uni the Boo Wah is on P4. Hope you find what suits you! I like Johnny's D13th along with Zane's D13th

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

1997 Carter U-12 Double Body-Natural Birdseye Maple-8p/5k, Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp, Goodrich L10K Vol. Pedal, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Behringer UMC-204HD Audio Interface, AKAI MPK Mini MK3 Professional Midi Keyboard/Controller, Gretsch Bobtail Resonator, Fender Banjo, Rondo SX Lap Steel (C6), DIY Lap Steel (Open D), a few Mojo Hand Cigar Box Guitars (MojoHandGuitars.com).