The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Kiss sells brand and songs for $300 Million
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2024 5:15 pm    

I never bought into this band’s shtick, but I thought this was kind of interesting. Another big band cashes out. First Dylan, then Springsteen, and now these guys.

——-> https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68735699

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2024 8:36 pm    

Visual shock-rock band that I always thought found their inspiration in Arthur Brown’s “God of Hellfire” video. Don’t know if they ever admitted it, though. Rolling Eyes

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 4:34 am    

When I was a 13-year-old kid, KISS appealed to me. It was their music that I liked--the KISS Alive album was rock and roll, some of it very much in line with the pure rock and roll of the 50s and 60s that I grew up listening to. I always thought their songs were based on good solid guitar riffs. Later on, their image and all the schtick blew up and their music moved away from its core rock and roll feel. I give them credit for turning a pretty good rock and roll band into a monolithic entertainment complex.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 4:55 am    

Marketing genius'
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 6:19 am    

Yes, gotta give props to Gene Simmons for his marketing skills. He has made millions through licensing deals with companies producing over 5000 KISS products.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 9:15 am    

I think I can name one song. They did I Just Wanna Rock n Roll All Night And Party Every Day, right? Some of my friends were into their action figure shtick, and Bowie’s glitter. Bowie’s songs were better. Hoo hah.

I would pay $300M (which I have on me RIGHT NOW) for the KISS image copyright.

I wonder what it’s going to mean for lowly neighborhood cover bands when the likes of Sony Entertainment or some Swedish oligarch own the publishing for the music they want to play down at the local pub.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 10:27 am    

Same here, Fred. I can only name that one Kiss song. People of my generation (a child of the 50s, and a teen of the 60s) grew up hearing early R&R and The Beatles-Stones-Motown, etc. I also saw many great 60s bands live and I went to a few early rock concerts, including the original Woodstock. By the time Kiss arrived on the scene, I was in my late 20s, playing in local bands, and I just couldn't take their act seriously. I always thought they were more of a comedy/novelty act than an actual band.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 10:34 am    

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 10:43 am    

Detroit Rock City. I was living in Detroit when this came out, 1976, and this got a helluvalotta local airplay. Some of the early rock and roll stuff was pretty good. But they never made any real impression on me. I was older, and this kind of music had already been beaten to death by countless bands in the late 60s and early 70s. And I could definitely do without the schtick - but hey, it made them millions. When I figured out Gene Simmons' life story, the hyper emphasis on money made a lot more sense.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 2:26 pm    

Lowest common denominator, I quit radio by 77 and only listened to records and tapes I dubbed, and it was all country rock, country, jazz. It was all foolish to me.

But kudos to Gene he is one smart cookie. I only know 1 song of theirs as well.

Funny thing is I was at the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame ceremony when they were inducted and they were fighting and didn't play that night.😡 So I've seen them , but never heard them. Boo Hoo

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2024 8:00 am    

Fred Treece wrote:
I think I can name one song.

That's one more than I could name, Fred. Congratulations!

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2024 8:42 am    

Didn’t they do “Macho Man” and “In the Navy”?
Oh…no that was the Village People….sorry.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2024 11:30 am    

Brooks Montgomery wrote:
Didn’t they do “Macho Man” and “In the Navy”?
Oh…no that was the Village People….sorry.

Laughing Yes, they ARE similar.

Speaking of gimmicks, don't forget Gwar. These guys make Kiss look like The Beatles.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2024 3:44 pm    

As a person of a certain age and geographic location, the only thing I know about Gene Simmons and KISS was the cringe inducing interview he had with Terry Gross on NPR's Fresh Air. I believe the interview recently celebrated it's 20th anniversary.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2024 3:17 am    

Although this maybe a true prediction, but comparing Kiss to these two?
Gene Simmons:

Quote:
“There’s not gonna be another Beatles, Hendrix, or KISS because there’s no longer a record industry. There’s only chaos.”

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2024 5:18 am    

Yeah, he’s a piece of work. I read the text of that NPR interview where he’s combative with the host, insulting her, bragging about how rich he is. Strange guy.

Bob Sigafoos

San Clemente, Calif. , U.S.
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2024 9:24 am     How to split $$

300 M is nice. Of the four original guys (Gene, Ace, Peter-Paul almond joy) Aren't Gene and Paul the current owners of the KISS corporation? Did Ace and Peter sign away their rights for the band? Both those guys got kicked out and quit at various times sparking the ire of Gene in particular. Do they get any money? Not that I care! I saw them in 1974 opening for ZZ Top. Interesting stage show but I never warmed up to KISS. But you have to admire the work ethic and marketing of the KISS brand. I remember in the early 80's some religious guy at work would tell me Knights In Satan's Service were evil. Obviously Marylin Manson hadn't been invented yet.

Duane Reese

Post  Posted 20 Apr 2024 10:35 am    

Lick It Up is probably the most musically pleasing song from them that I'm aware of. Paul Stanley had a pretty good singing voice, actually. I couldn't care less about their visual gimmickry or anyone else's.

Gene Simmons is one of those guys who seems like he's better known individually for his opinions than his craft. And, he's all over the map — no one can say that he came from an ideological cookie cutter. No matter who you are, you're going to agree and disagree with some of what he says.

The real question is: what do you do with $300 million at that age? Do you start making rockets? 🚀

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2024 10:41 am    

Duane Reese wrote:
Lick It Up

The real question is: what do you do with $300 million at that age? Do you start making rockets? 🚀

He probably has a heck of a dry cleaning bill.