The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question on multi-effects units
Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2024 9:11 am    

I'm an old-school "one pedal per effect" guy, but I'd like to leave a single multi-effects unit at the band practice space, with the steel I leave there and a Milkman "The Amp", rather than bringing my fancy amp and actual effects with me every time, or buying yet another set of them...
I don't really care how good the effects are (good is better, of course), and don't want to spend a lot...
Would ideally like a 4-button unit that could have the same effects, in the same places...I put it under my steel next to the pedals...

Is there a unit that would do these, or some similar effects?:
-TS-808 overdrive (I use the Ibanez mini)
-850 Fuzz (I use the Ibanez mini for that classic sound)
-Envelope filter (I use Analogman, it has the widest frequency response range)
-Octave up/down (I use TC Electronic Sub 'n Up mini, adjusted for an organ sound)

I'm interested in the Mooer S1 Prime ($179), but it is so new that I can't even find a list of the effects it has...
https://www.mooeraudio.com/products/201.html

Thanks!
Here's an old version before I upgraded amp to Milkman Pedal Steel Mini and some of the pedals:

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2024 9:50 am    

Line 6 HX stomp seems to be one of the more popular models.

See page 48 for models list
https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a4191845ec5609e260df/application/pdf/HX%20Edit%20Pilot's%20Guide%20-%20English%20.pdf
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2024 10:40 am    

Before I went in the opposite direction from you and started building stomp box pedal boards again, I really dug my old Line6 PODxt. I won't talk about sonics although it satisfied me well enough. But the one thing that I am hardcore about is tweakability. It has enough buttons and pots on it to be user friendly -- especially if mounted on the steel leg. Sorry -- you'll need to move your cup.

I doubt it can match the technology of current units such as the later Line 6 products or the Mooer you are looking at. But I can't imagine ever again in this lifetime wrestling with a digital unit with all its parameters hiding behind menus and submenus.

That's me.

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2024 10:59 am    

John-
$550!! ... that puppy has pretty much all of the effects I use, but only 3 buttons (I use 4), which I guess I could live with...but at $550 I could replicate my individual effects pedals setup. I'm looking for something cheaper, hoping that the Mooer may do it. At $179 it cleverly relies on the phone app to supply the compute power so it may be a viable device...unless someone can suggest another?

Jon-
I haven't switched to multi effects, never would, I hate that user interface myself also, but I'd just set it for those 4 effects, use it only at practice, and never need the menu again...so this may work for my in this application.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2024 3:47 am    

Back when I played steel I used the Zoom MS-50G. I has many effects. You can see the list on their website. I had "patches" in it that I could use to do dobro, violin, organ, etc. And, its list price is only $129.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2024 7:53 am    

Thanks, Scott...lbut I have a different use...I want buttons that would emulate the individual pedals I have, not scrollable patches with combinations of sounds...

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2024 8:06 am    

Steve Lipsey wrote:
Thanks, Scott...lbut I have a different use...I want buttons that would emulate the individual pedals I have, not scrollable patches with combinations of sounds...

That was my main complaint about the Zoom. Mine finally died, and I went back to individual dedicated pedals.

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2024 8:26 am    

I guess the BOSS ME-90 would do the trick (and then some), but a second hand ME-70 would be a much cheaper (and nearly as capable) alternative. Very solidly built and no menus to jump up, down and sidewyas in – dedicated knobs for everything. I'm happy with mine, though I've returned to using separate boxes (a Keeley compressor, BOSS EQ and BOSS Reverb)

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2024 8:53 am    

Hmmm....ME-70 looks possible....I was hoping for both OD and Fuzz, these units tend to have only one distortion setting, but this one does have a nice selection for other buttons...

And I just realized that the tuner in these is pretty minimal...I use a Boss TU-3 with marks on the scale to show sweetener targets...these multi-effects all are just an LED in-or-out-of-tune thing...

I might be better off eating the extra cost and just buying used pedals and replicating my board, rather than trying to make a multi-effects thing work for me...

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2024 9:35 am    

I have an ME-25. There are 10 variations of OD/Dist.

With a Peterson phone app tuner and a couple of adapters, that and a used ME-25 would be about $150.

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2024 5:22 am    

I love this unit. The amp settings alone are fantastic. It was very easy for me to find several clean settings I like and the effects are completely convincing. I don't think you can beat this one for the price. I use it with guitar also and the looper drum sync feature is really useful for practice. Since I got it my amps just sit there collecting dust. https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=398543&highlight=

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2024 8:41 am    

Wow...Tim, the Valeton GP-200LT does everything I asked for and so much more...you have put me on the spot, I have no excuse to not do this...other than my innate aversion to anything with menus and screens on the floor...
Decision time!

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2024 12:47 pm    

These units all do pretty much the same thing. Just a matter of which learning curve you want to dig into and how much you want to spend.

I have my ME-25 set up with 4 or 5 clean patches and a couple dirty ones and run it into a Tech21 powered speaker. It could go straight to a PA too. It’s a great simple setup and there is a built-in volume pedal that integrates very well. The unit fits next to the steel guitar’s pedals, but if you have more than 5 it probably won’t fit there. I use all Boss stuff, so the sound I practice with is basically the same as what I gig with.

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2024 2:25 pm    

OK...the right solution appeared to me in a dream...I've spent years trying different models of effects until I now have the exact pedals that sound like what is playing inside my head...

The reviews for the Valeton are good, and the price is right...but some of the effects aren't...e.g. the envelope filter gets a few knocks...and why wouldn't I have expected that, with my envelope pedal costing as much as the whole Valeton?? Probably could be tweaked, or one of the more expensive ones would be more accurate...but...

So...as I intended, I have a Craigslist bar stool (with back) to leave at the practice space, so my heavy steel seat can stay home...
And I'll just carry my gig pedalboard to practice in a small case, and have exactly the right stuff.
Plus...everything breaks eventually - if you only use your gig stuff at gigs, that is where it will break...now it is more likely at practice, so it can be fixed...

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2024 6:24 am    

Steve Lipsey wrote:
OK...the right solution appeared to me in a dream...I've spent years trying different models of effects until I now have the exact pedals that sound like what is playing inside my head...

The reviews for the Valeton are good, and the price is right...but some of the effects aren't...e.g. the envelope filter gets a few knocks...and why wouldn't I have expected that, with my envelope pedal costing as much as the whole Valeton?? Probably could be tweaked, or one of the more expensive ones would be more accurate...but...

So...as I intended, I have a Craigslist bar stool (with back) to leave at the practice space, so my heavy steel seat can stay home...
And I'll just carry my gig pedalboard to practice in a small case, and have exactly the right stuff.
Plus...everything breaks eventually - if you only use your gig stuff at gigs, that is where it will break...now it is more likely at practice, so it can be fixed...

The best solutions are the simple ones! I am glad you figured it out.

I think the beauty of these multi FX pedals is lost when you have to start adding in a bunch of auxiliary pedals and stuff. Also, If you aren't planning on using any amp or cab sims either it seems like kind of a waste. I think these rigs are not a good option for people with a deep nuanced understanding of different effects, cause none of them do everything perfectly. For me the original idea came from just needing a way to quiet practice with headphones. As a completely separate practice device I think it is perfect. It is also capable of replacing most of the gear that people own.