The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Amazing Weldon Myrick
robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2024 7:27 pm    

"They'll see me on TV now...." Great story!

Here's another story about Weldon's LeGrande story. Hank Corwin was a steel player in town who had worked with everybody including a long run with Jim Ed Brown. I met Hank when he was working with Porter. Hank was a Juilliard-trained bass player. When he lightened up down to a single neck, he transposed all his considerable C-6th work to E-9th. Before the curtain came up, Hank's idea of warming up for his spot was to play stuff like "Laura," "On Green Dolphin Street," "Stardust," etc. He did all this with 3&5. Now, Hank had gone from a push-pull to a Mullen with green Formica.

So here's the story: A group of steel players got together, approached Weldon, and asked him why, after being associated for so long with the black Emmons, he had ordered a green guitar. With a typical Weldon understatement, he answered, "To be like Hank's."

Last edited by robert kramer on 1 Apr 2024 4:14 am; edited 1 time in total

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2024 8:53 pm    

There was a Grand Ole Opry Live episode where Porter talks about how one of the most recognizable instruments in country music is the steel guitar, and Weldon is sitting behind his Emmons and Hank Corwin is behind his Mullen, and Porter introduced both players, talking about how Weldon was the Opry's staff steel guitar player and how Hank Corwin was in Porter's band at the time the episode was on TV. Porter then tells the audience that both steel players on the stage will play a country tune called "Makin' Believe" and they play the song to close out the show and it sounds incredible!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Ross Koeberl

Minneapolis, MN
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2024 7:24 am    

Brett, that sounds like an incredible performance. I started searching online for Hank Corwin's playing after the last two comments piqued my interest, and it seems that his work has mostly escaped digitization, as not much available on the web. However, I did see that he played on an album by "The Nashville Sound 70's and the Gems" in '71, which was available to stream on Spotify, and I'm picking out some great chord voicings in here. Particularly in their cover of the Carpenter's "We've Only Just Begun", which I genuinely can't tell if it's C6 or E9! If anyone else has more on Hank Corwin would love if they'd start a new topic to share.

Back on the subject of Myrick, I tried to count up how many records I've bought just because I saw his name in the credits, and I've lost track. His work on Paul Siebel's "Woodsmoke and Oranges" is recommended in the back of the classic Winnie Winston book, and I've been digging for his work ever since. I've never actually tried to pick out any of his riffs from that particular album, but Ron Hogan's video on the last page has got me inspired, maybe I'll finally give 'em a go this afternoon.