The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Triple neck tunings courtesy of ChatGPT
Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2024 3:27 pm    

While troubleshooting some code with ChatGPT, I got a little bored:

Q: What are three good tunings for a triple neck, non-pedal steel guitar?

A: "For a triple neck non-pedal steel guitar, tuning options can vary based on the player's preferences, the musical genre they're playing, and the specific setup of their instrument.
Here are three tuning options that are commonly used for such guitars:

C6 Tuning on Neck 1, E9 Tuning on Neck 2, Open G Tuning on Neck 3:
Neck 1: C6 tuning (C E G A C E)
Neck 2: E9 tuning (B D# G# E F# G# B D#)
Neck 3: Open G tuning (D G D G B D)

Open D Tuning on All Necks:
Neck 1: Open D tuning (D A D F# A D)
Neck 2: Open D tuning (D A D F# A D)
Neck 3: Open D tuning (D A D F# A D)

Mixed Tunings for Versatility:
Neck 1: E9 tuning (B D# G# E F# G# B D#)
Neck 2: Standard tuning (E A D G B E)
Neck 3: Dobro G tuning (G B D G B D)

These are just a few examples, and there are many other tunings you can explore based on your musical preferences and playing style.
Experimenting with different tunings can help you find the combination that best suits your needs and allows you to express yourself creatively on your triple neck non-pedal steel guitar."

Q: Wow, can you expand the "Open D Tuning on All Necks" to 8 strings for me?

A:"Certainly! Expanding the open D tuning to all three necks of a triple neck non-pedal steel guitar with 8 strings each would look like this:

Neck 1: Open D tuning (D A D F# A D)
String 1: D
String 2: A
String 3: D
String 4: F#
String 5: A
String 6: D
String 7: F#
String 8: A

Neck 2: Open D tuning (D A D F# A D)

Neck 3: Open D tuning (D A D F# A D)

With this setup, all three necks are tuned identically to open D tuning, providing consistency across the instrument.
This allows you to explore the full range of the guitar with the same chord shapes and slide patterns, making it easier to play and create music across all three necks."

Q: Is it redundant to have the same tuning repeated on a multi-neck instrument?

A:"Having the same tuning repeated across multiple necks on a multi-neck instrument might seem redundant at first glance, but it can actually offer several benefits:

Consistency: Keeping the same tuning across all necks ensures consistency in chord shapes, scale patterns, and slide positions.
This can make it easier for the player to transition between necks seamlessly, especially during performances where quick changes are required.

Versatility: While the tunings may be the same, each neck can still offer unique sonic possibilities due to differences in string gauges, pickups, and tone settings.
This allows the player to explore different tonal nuances and textures while maintaining familiarity with the tuning.

Backup: In the event of a broken string or technical issue on one neck, having identical tunings on other necks provides a convenient backup.
The player can quickly switch to another neck without needing to adjust to a different tuning.

Ease of Learning: For beginners or players new to multi-neck instruments, having consistent tunings across all necks can simplify the learning process.
They can focus on mastering one tuning and easily transfer their skills to other necks without needing to relearn chord shapes or scale patterns.

While it may seem redundant on the surface, having the same tunings repeated on a multi-neck instrument offers practical advantages in terms of consistency, versatility, and ease of use for the player.
However, it's also worth exploring different tunings across necks to fully leverage the instrument's potential for sonic experimentation and creativity."

---
Occasionally, within an obvious failure to see the forest for the trees, there is a certain thoughtfulness...

David Knutson

Cowichan Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2024 3:44 pm    

There’s some interesting almost circular (pear shaped?) logic in there. I sense a budding career in politics. Rolling Eyes

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2024 5:55 pm    

Maybe you can put that on this triple neck.

Daniel Flanigan

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2024 12:31 am    

Maybe (probably) I'm just stupid, but what the heck is a Chat GPT? I read this post about 3 times and I have no idea what's going on here.

And what in the world is that engraved guitar? It looks more like a synthesizer than a steel guitar. How does a guitar like that even work? It looks like it has a 12 inch scale length and frets. I'm thoroughly confused.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2024 5:13 am    

Maybe you'd like this steel better Daniel:

(welcome to the wonderful world of AI: Artificial Intelligence. Chat GPT is an AI "Search engine" and the images were generated with an AI image generator).

Last edited by Bill McCloskey on 30 Mar 2024 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Daniel Flanigan

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2024 12:09 pm    

Artificial Intelligence, Like SkyNet? Is that real now? What is this madness? What has the world come to?

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2024 12:31 pm    

Read/see all about it on Google & on You Tube.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2024 12:53 pm    

I find the AI image generator to be a complete hoot. It is now the art director at the Steel Guitar Union Hall facebook group (apologies to all the graphic designers out there). We call him Arthur Interval. AI for short.

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2024 4:05 pm    

They're tapping! That's wild.
Teacher's must be going crazing trying to figure out if some or all student's paper comes from AI.

Lloyd Graves

New York, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2024 5:28 pm    

I hate AI generated content of all kinds. It's already too difficult to discern actual real news vs actual fake news, and real vs photoshopped images without adding this level of complexity. I ardently try to avoid clicking on AI generated videos on YouTube, and to my knowledge, I have never listened to AI generated "music."

That said, I have two thoughts on the content in this thread:

1. The grammar in the OP was really good.
2. The images remind me of dreams, with the words being misspelled or letters misinformed, and the images being just a bit wrong.

Keep supporting humans!

Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2024 6:30 pm    

I'm not a fan of the AI generated stuff. I really dont think it should be included in anything, whether its dealing with steel guitar or educational purposes.
Some of the AI Chat GDP that I've seen gives short general answers, and some of it is incorrect.

Daniel Flanigan

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2024 8:33 pm    

Lloyd, Duane, I agree completely. When I first heard about this stuff from this post, I thought it was some kind of joke, but since then I've read about it, and it astonishes me that artificial intelligence is real and that people are stupid enough to use it. Has nobody seen science fiction movies? This kinda thing always goes south. I think it's a bad idea all around and it says a whole lot about the current state of things, real intelligence is in short enough supply that people need artificial intelligence.

Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2024 10:58 am    

I finished my degree about a year ago, and it was a huge topic amongst everybody.
For instance, one of my favorite professors offered a variety of elective film/literature classes that changed semester to semester.
Instead of midterm and final exams, he gave us about a week to write a paper.
I always liked those kind of assignments, very cathartic and it is nice to spend the time to write something thoughtful.
ChatGPT, and people getting caught using it, became such an issue that starting from my last semester the professor was forced to completely change the assessment format to an in-class, 75 minute hand written essay.

A lot of people I know who graduated with me joined startups and do work fulfilling AI customer service chatbot contracts for big companies.

Anyway, sometimes the AI really is just undeniably wrong with no indication otherwise.
For instance, from my original post: “Neck 2: E9 tuning (B D# G# E F# G# B D#)” seems to be a completely made up tuning, it is not an E9th tuning, it has no D.
I guess it tried to make something from the pedal E9th with the chromatic string.
The string order is totally puzzling.
I guess it is low to high, so:
B, D#, G#… back down to E?… F#, same as the previous G#?, B, D
maybe it means a really low B like B11th, then low D#, G#, then a big jump to E…
I have never heard of the tuning and I couldn’t find any of evidence of it being a tuning anyone uses.
Yet the AI is telling me it is a commonly used tuning, including it in the first suggestion.

I can hardly imagine the seemingly well reasoned BS that might be related to me on topics with which I have zero prior knowledge, such as sailing, scuba diving, animal husbandry etc…
could even be dangerous if someone didn’t know any better not to trust the response at face value.

I asked it to finish the Johnny Cash song in Daniel’s signature:
I'm waitin' for the pardon that'll set me free,
But this ain't the movies, so forget about me.
In this cell I sit, counting days like grains of sand,
Hoping for redemption, but fate has another plan.
The world outside moves on, while I remain confined,
My dreams of liberty, now just echoes in my mind.
But though my spirit's bound, my hope refuses to flee,
For even in darkness, there's a flicker of possibility.