The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Amazing Weldon Myrick
Franklin

Post  Posted 25 Mar 2024 6:42 pm    

Weldon Myrick deserves his own admiration thread.
Listen to his musicianship delivered with perfect execution on this out of the box concept band, Area Code 615

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDcwMcKZrQw

And another classic Weldon cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTbyoTGDweU

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2024 7:55 pm    

Totally agreed, Paul. He was extremely versatile, but his chicken pickin' was the ultimate for me. I'm a Tele chicken picker, but I am - and have been since I first heard him in the late 60s when in Boston at the Medical Center Harvard Coop, I picked up the first Area Code 615 album - totally aghast at Weldon's total control of rapid-fire staccato chicken pickin'. I scratched my head for a long time, and I was barely aware of steel guitar at the time. And what more can we say about I'll Come Runnin'?

On Area Code 615 - let's not forget the great Bobby Thompson on banjo, who IMO never got his rightful due. He just stood there stone-faced and picked his heart out.

The things that stood out to this 16-year old Boston kid in 1969 when I first heard that first Area Code 615 album were Weldon and Bobby. Nothing's changed since then for me, they still stand out.

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2024 8:47 pm    

Weldon had a great sense of humor, and you could always hear it coming out of his steel. Also, Weldon was all about tone:

Del Reeves "You Comb Her Hair Every Morning" (1975) (Hear those bells!!!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILudXnXf2C4

Steve Young "Seven Bridges Road" (1972)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1C7cUubI5o

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2024 11:02 pm    

Weldon was my second steel hero (I discovered Lloyd a few years earlier), but I have always preferred his slower, more soulful playing to his chicken pickin'.

These clips should explain why. Extremely tasteful, and deceptively simple.

Gary Stewart: Hank Western

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTWmbYDiJKA

Moe Bandy: I'm Sorry for You, My Friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxvd0uzBSB8

Not quite as impossible to learn as "I'll Come Running"...

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2024 1:23 am    

I was a 19-year-old janitor at Arlington Giant Music on Columbia Pike when Weldon came in for picks and strings. The sales guy knew I had been trying to sort out the 3+0 ShoBud Maverick in the showcase so called me over and introduced us. Of course I knew exactly who he was, but didn't expect him to sit me down, show me how the tuning worked, and lay out the diatonic scale on strings 3+5 that had been eluding me. But he did, and after that first lesson I bought the Maverick from my boss the next day and the rest is his-story. So grateful for all the amazing gifts I have received, this one was life-changing and I will always remember his kindness and his yellow shirt.

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2024 2:20 am    

And let's not forget Charlie McCoy. Mike Headrick just told me that Charlie, at 82 years young, is still jogging every day to keep his wind up and still recording and doing studio work.

Weldon's recording of "I'll Come A Runnin" sets a standard for great steel playing that just seems untouchable. The expression, cleanliness, the tone, precision.... WOW!

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2024 5:28 am    

weldon myrick was one of the first steel players i got into when i first started playing because my wife was listening to a lot of connie smith. his intro to 'hinges on the door' knocked me out. he seemed to invent so many classic sounding intros and breaks while still sounding fresh. his work with moe bandy is a great honky tonk document of well thought out licks and phrases that have a taste of that extra spice.

the country music hall of fame has a great tribute/interview with him. quiet, humble and funny. check it out! (they have one for the OP as well.)

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2024 5:39 am    

Very impressive stuff. Weldon used to play with the Long Hollow jamboree in the 90's.On top of his picking prowess he was a great singer.

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2024 6:44 am    

I picked up on Area Code 615 in the 70s when I was trying to learn steel. (I am still trying to learn steel.) Weldon had scary chops, balanced by great taste!

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2024 9:45 am    

I had just started fumbling my way around on my first steel when I was introduced to AC615's 'Welephant Walk' - my jaw dropped then and it still does today.

Weldon had such command of his prodigious technique. His playing was clean and, somehow, effortless and yet inventive all at once.

I had the pleasure of meeting him just once: backstage at the Opry in the '90s. He was gracious and self-effacing; he seemed to be a thoroughly nice man. He has certainly left a musical legacy of giant proportions.

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2024 10:53 am    

Looks like he plays Katy Hill on the C6 neck. Right ? Also it sounds the group is playing in play back on the recording ! Right ?
I had the album. Loved it but can't find it anymore.

Last edited by John Sluszny on 27 Mar 2024 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Weldon Myrick

Nashville, TN, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2024 11:21 am     Weldon

You guys have made my day talking about Weldon!

Thank you!

Judi Myrick

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2024 2:31 pm    

wonderful thread... Well Done everyone! Winking

Weldon played a lot more C6 than folks might expect. I've got a recording from a steel show in '79 of Weldon with Jimmie Crawford and they both do

love this Kenny Price take on the classic Bacharach/David song. Weldon plays great C6 and the arrangement is pretty much like the hit BJ Thomas version which was released less than a year before this one: Raindrops Keep Fallin On My Head

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2024 4:14 pm    

I imagine he could also be pretty intimidating walking up to your car and saying…
”Goin’ a little fast there, weren’t you, son?” Winking

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2024 6:22 pm    

I'm glad you started this thread Paul. Like you and the rest who have posted have said, I just love Weldon's playing and musicianship. He sure was a great person too.

Weldon was one of my biggest influences when I started playing. I loved everything he did. Weldon's two fret, forward or backward bar slants incorporating pedals and the 3rd and 5th strings were just so cool. Two songs that come to mind in which he used the slants were "Rain Making Baby of Mine" by Johnny Bush (RCA 1971) and "You Can't Take it With You" by Kenny Price (also RCA 1971).

Once when we did the Opry in the early '80s, Weldon's black Emmons and mine were side by side on the stage. Both of our guitars were several inches taller than standard and someone made a comment about that not happening often. I got a kick outta' that and Weldon did too. He was definitely one of my all-time heroes.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2024 6:56 pm    

Great post, Chris!

I toured with songwriter Sonny Curtis. Sonny spoke fondly of growing up with Weldon in Lubbock, TX and had nothing but praise for his musicianship.

(I never had more fun - or musical satisfaction - than when I toured with Sonny.)

Olaf van Roggen

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2024 11:47 pm    

I still listen a lot to "Pedal man", I have it on vinyl and cd.
I loved it when i was in my teens, and the cover is amazing.
My youngest daughter also loves it and recognizes 'Right down the line"by Gerry Rafferty because of the album.

I was lucky to meet Weldon Myrick and hear him play at the Dallas steel show in 2001, where Neil Flanz introduced me to him.

Roy Peterman

Muncy Valley, Pennsylvania
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2024 2:19 am    

Weldon was a great player for sure, and he was a big influence on me too, Tiny. I was lucky enough to get to know him when I played on the Opry with several different artists. Sometimes between shows we would go to a Shoneys and usually have a cherry cobbler and some coffee. When he finished his album Pedalman, he gave me a copy at the Opry one night and he signed it for me. It is a prized possession. He also was the kind of player that would show a fellow picker how he did certain licks. He showed me how he did the amazing 2 finger progression at the Opry, and I still use it often when I play. Sure miss hearing him.

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2024 7:35 am    

Weldon gave me a lesson and then invited me to a session at Pete Drake's studio for the recording of the record "Slide" (https://www.creativeanddreams.com/slide/).
He also invited me backstage at Opryland.
What a thrill!

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2024 1:07 pm    

Tiny Olson wrote:
I'm glad you started this thread Paul. Like you and the rest who have posted have said, I just love Weldon's playing and musicianship. He sure was a great person too.

Weldon was one of my biggest influences when I started playing. I loved everything he did. Weldon's two fret, forward or backward bar slants incorporating pedals and the 3rd and 5th strings were just so cool. Two songs that come to mind in which he used the slants were "Rain Making Baby of Mine" by Johnny Bush (RCA 1971) and "You Can't Take it With You" by Kenny Price (also RCA 1971).

Once when we did the Opry in the early '80s, Weldon's black Emmons and mine were side by side on the stage. Both of our guitars were several inches taller than standard and someone made a comment about that not happening often. I got a kick outta' that and Weldon did too. He was definitely one of my all-time heroes.

Tiny, Thx for reminding me. Terrific lick of Weldon's. Here's my take if anyone would like to learn it. Excuse me if it's off...Maybe???

Last edited by Ron Hogan on 2 Apr 2024 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2024 5:07 pm    

A correction here, that position on the 10th Fret is not a D. We’re still playing in the five chord, so that creates two notes that work well with a 5 7th chord.

Bruce Blackburn

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2024 8:05 am    

Thanks for the lick. After we talked about it last night I had to come home and immediately try it. Very nice.

Paul Awalt

Greenwich, Ct.
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2024 11:21 am     Big "W"

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2024 12:29 pm    

That's the smile I remember - and the Emmons he'd just got when I met him.

"They'll see me on TV now...." Smile

Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 31 Mar 2024 5:43 pm     Big hit in San Fran

Area code 615 shocked the hippies in the late sixties when they showed up on the same bill as Tower of Power. It was a weekend two night affair and when 615 came onstage Saturday night they had stolen every one of Tower of Powers riffs from friday night....