The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Volume pedal/ankle technique
Dan Neave

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2024 11:56 pm    

Hi members,

Dan here from Australia hope you’re all well.
I am trying to upload an image of me sitting on my standard height seat sitting behind my ZB SD10 to show you my volume pedal and leg position however there seems an issue with the upload so I will just explain my question.

I want to know if any of you have tips or solutions for helping me put less pressure on my toes and the front part of my foot when playing and using my volume pedals (Goodrich and Hilton)
I am quite tall and have tried the following strategies to help my foot rest further in the middle of the pedal:

1. Lowering my adjustable seat
2. Different shoes
3. Placing my max volume at the halfway point of the volume pedal
4. Adjusting the turn off and on points on the Hilton.

What I am finding is no matter what I have tried I can’t comfortably get these low profile pedals in the off position and have to start forward of the mid point if that makes sense.
I think majority of players aim to operate the volume pedal in the mid zone and only use full throttle when aiming for long sustained passages, but I have also heard some players start from a mid to forward position.

I started to think maybe I need a high profile pedal or some plywood/osb board underneath the pedal to raise it but I’m just not sure. If I was playing a C6 neck I think I would be fine as I could position my seat further back but for E9 it’s just not realistic to sit any further back then I am.

Thanks so much.

Dan

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2024 8:10 am    

Without a picture, the only thing I could suggest is to raise the back of the pedal a little (as long as it doesn’t make your knee hit the guitar). Contrary to what you might hear, not everyone likes the volume pedal fastened to the pedal bar. You might also try moving your seat away from the guitar a little, as it sounds like you might be too close to it.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2024 9:03 am    

The legs of the guitar need to be raised. Your leg should bend at the knee to a 90° angle (or as close as possible) with your foot on the VP and your seat properly adjusted. You should fit under the guitar comfortably.

I’m 6’3. I have my seat height adjusted to 22”. My low profile VP is very difficult to operate in flat footwear. I wear boots when I play. Standard height pedal steel guitars are unplayable for me. Pedal rod extenders can be purchased at the Forum Store. Hardwood dowels can be cut and placed in the guitar’s front legs to stabilize height adjustment.

Raybob Bowman

S. Lake Tahoe, CA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2024 11:43 am    

I like to put my volume pedal at an angle, front aiming to the right 30-45 degrees. Seems most comfortable to me.

David Donn

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2024 1:04 pm    

You've got to whack your heel down on the back of the pedal to get into the "off" position. Your heel has to be further back on the pedal than you might think because the axle is located pretty far towards the back on a low profile pedal.

Lee Rider

Fort Bragg, California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2024 1:28 pm    

I just got a pair of Organ Masters shoes and am really happy with them for the left foot on the pedals, but, with the heel and my size 15 feet (yes, I have good "understanding")d, the toe hits the pedal bar to which I have the volume pedal attached. If I slide back then I cannot reach the right knee levers. I'll try pulling the VP off of the pedal bar mount. The heel totally changes the way the VP works with my foot. Something to get used to I guess.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2024 5:38 am    

Raybob Bowman wrote:
I like to put my volume pedal at an angle, front aiming to the right 30-45 degrees. Seems most comfortable to me.

Similarly here Raybob ... Since snapping my right ankle in 96 it doesn't bend as easily as it once did. So using my standard height Sho~Bud pedal became problamatic... So Dan, like you I explored a lot of different things with VP placement to raising my seat to reduce the ankle angle a bit. I've gone so far as to place my VP just to the right or outside of the right legs of the Steel, which will make OFF easier and ON a bit more difficult but for me still very doable ... Angling the pedal as Raybob suggests I find works really well. Its easier on my ankle and I have no problem getting the volume all the way off. (Telonic's Multi-Taper) I don't know if lowering your amp volume would help you get the volume all the way off, but then you may not get the amount of playing volume you want.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2024 8:01 am    

I just experienced a recent change that I am still getting use too., which has improved my posture and position. After having all my pedals changed (0 pedal moved to 4th position) so everything was moved left one position. Plus I had some knee levers copedent’s changed. I was then told that I needed to be fitted to the guitar. So I was moved further to the right then I normally sit, plus further back. The pedals were then adjusted for correct height . This required adjustment on the volume pedal also.

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2024 8:09 am    

At 6’3”, I have the same problem. Boots work for me, but I drilled and tapped the rear 2 cover plate holes to 1/4-20 to accommodate adjustable feet that are available at most any hardware store. A piece of wood works, too.