The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Which steel?
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 11:21 am    

I have an itch to get another D10.

Let's assume the choice is between Rittenberry, MSA (latest era) and Mullen, the criteria being 'tone' (subjective, I know), 'ease of pedal-action' and a triple-raise-and-lower changer.

Owner-friendly bell-cranks would be a high priority; I'm given to switching things around these days.

What would you choose and why?

Delivery-time: I can't wait too long - I'm 81 next week! Smile

Ron Bryson

Bonifay, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 1:21 pm     Which guitar?

Mullen G2, no question with that criteria...
Ron

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 1:32 pm    

Nothing plays easier than a Mullen.

Michael Hartz

Decorah, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 1:50 pm    

I have a PRP Mullen and love it but wanted something with a little more mid-range and sustain so I opted to order a new Rittenberry D-10 Prestige. I’ve been told that the tone is a cross somewhere between an Emmons and a Franklin so I’m super stoked. That being said, the year wait time might be a deal killer for you so I would say go for the Mullen. I had a G2 and in side by side comparison for me my 1990 PRP had way better tone which is why I ended up selling the G2.

David Weisenthal

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 1:53 pm    

I think the wait time for Mullen is something like up to 18 months isn't it? That's what I've read on their website a few weeks ago.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 2:37 pm    

Okay - noted:

If, however, a loaded nearly-new D10 from each brand was available now (used, of course), would Mullen still top the list.

I was very impressed with Joe Rogers' Rittenberry.

It was my understanding that Mullen were quoting '4 to 6 months'; maybe that's changed.

Trouble is, I'd want 8+9....

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 2:55 pm    

If you ask 10 people, you may get 10 different opinions.

I've heard nothing but good things about Rittenberry but never had the opportunity to sit one.

I'm unabashedly a dyed in the wool Mullen fan. The best guitar I ever had or played was a 94 Mullen PRP...I've had 3 other PRP Mullen guitars from 92, 96 and one I'm not sure of but of the 90s era. They all played great and were easy to do changes on.

I found all of them quite desirable but none equalled the 94 tonewise, so individual guitars vary.

Still, I would prefer any of the those over any other brands and guitars I've owned, and that's at least a dozen other D10s.

If you like the crisp clear tone of say a Push Pull Emmons, you might find the Ritt more to your liking.

If you like a powerful mellow but versatile tone, you might prefer the Mullen.

I believe all the current pedal steels being built are fine guitars and all will serve you very well.

There's just no way to know what you like...that's something only you will know.
Every guitar has something that suits some player, but not every guitar has something that suits every player.

Good luck with your search.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 3:24 pm    

Of course you're quite right, Jerry, and I was waiting for someone to point out the reality. Smile

I must say that Joe's Ritt (his SD10 Prestige) is extremely bright sounding *that may have been his choice of EQ: I used IEMs) and the PP quote has merit. I loved the action but, if I'm honest, I lean towards warmer tones. (I prefer hearing Emmons on his EMCI than on the Blade, however masterful the playing is.)

It may come to nothing- my LeGrande is super - but it makes for an entertaining conversation.

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 4:29 pm    

Hi Roger:

Just my opinion, but, of the three brands you mentioned I like the Rittenberry. The ones I've heard have a lively, mid-range growl and balanced tone that I really like.

A brand you didn't include that I would definitely consider is the " Texas Pedal Steel" guitar. I've spoken to Ron (a good guy) at TPS and he will put screws for split-tuning at the changer for any strings a player would want. These guitars are very intriguing to me. You can check out their website through the links section on this forum. If you like the MCI / EMCI I think you'll find the TPS interesting.

My favorite horn is my '69 Emmons D-10 but, if I decided to get a brand-new D-10 I'd probably go with the Texas Pedal Steel or a Rittenberry. Those are just my thoughts.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 6:39 pm    

Of course Roger. You already know all of that and I did not mean to be patronizing.

Nothing wrong with getting opinions from other players. Especially those like Tiny and others that carry some real clout.

Several new guitars on the market last few years that you might not be familiar with. I'm there too and also right behind you in the age department.

I hope you find something that suits you well.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 8:24 pm    

The Mullens do indeed have a very light action! And as I’m more used to guitars that “push back” a little, I find the Mullens actually harder for me to play. (Since I can’t rest my foot on the pedals.) But there’s no doubt they’re one of the best guitars out there, and they’ve been manufacturing them, continuously, for about 50 years!

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2024 4:43 am    

Many thanks for thoughtful responses.

Jerry: you're not being remotely patronizing and your thoughts are always worth considering.

Donny: Your voice, too, is a significant one on our Forum. As far as pedal-action is concerned, I understand your reservation about too light an action. These days, though, I find myself engaging more pedals/KLs simultaneously in my search for extended chords, so ease-of-action is a plus for me.

Example: raising 1,2,7 (now my LKV), I used to regard as being something of a 'lick pedal'. I don't see it like that now. I need to engage it along with my A & B pedals for a dissonant maj 7th; now I have an extender on LKV, that pull gets far more use than once it did, but I wouldn't want it to be any heavier than it is.

Tiny! Thanks for contributing. I confess that I was unaware of TPS. With a triple-lower, they'd be a contender. I can't find any hints about pricing or delivery-time on the website so I will look into it.

I once had an MCI; I thought it sounded great, especially with its sustain in the higher register. My example, however, was heavily road-worn when I got it (pedal-rods kept falling off during a show!) and I quickly sold it on. I won't forget its tone, though: one of the good ones.

Back to Joe's Ritt: my 'itch' has been caused by Joe calling and inviting me to a Tracy Byrd gig near me. Having been retired now for over four years, it was enervating to suddenly be confronted with a top-flight road-band - fine players, every one, and a first-class sound-guy - and I found I was caught up again in that never-ending cycle of pondering 'something better' than what I have here at home.

Silly, really; I doubt I'll ever play in that sort of arena again or, perhaps, any 'arena'.

I have to consider that turning $7000+ of our savings into another PSG would merely give Mrs. Rettig something else to deal with on my passing. However, the 'justification formulae' - I could sell the 8+4 SKH and maybe the 1952 Martin 000-21 - come to the rescue and a new steel remains a live issue.

My immediate family (parents/brother/sister) passed away at an average age of 68!! What am I still doing here at, come March 23rd, 81?? Lengthy delivery-times make me nervous!

I must say that the Rittenberry Prestige (with its very latest specification) is a front-runner.

PS: Thanks, too, to Dale R for his private thoughts; as an owner of MSA and Ritt, he has hands-on knowledge. I'm having to keep looking over my shoulder to see if SWMBO has been monitoring our little chat. Smile

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2024 4:46 am    

In case there's anyone who's pondering 'SWMBO', think: Rider Haggard's adventure yarn: 'SHE (Who Must Be Obeyed').

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 12:24 pm    

With an All-Pull, for TONE, a newer MSA.

I must say, there's something in their changer which really works tone-wise.
It's also a mechanically top of the line guitars, as some others are too.
The cabinetry is some of the prettiest. But it was TONE that had me sold and while I have 3 Excel Superbs and a new Sierra (which have not been thrown into the options being looked at, so I won’t elaborate on those here, but I love my MSA.

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Last edited by J D Sauser on 20 Mar 2024 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 2:04 pm    

Roger
I can offer a view on the 3 guitars that you have mentioned.

I love my MSA Legend Signature. Superb tone, engineering and customer service, the fit and finish of a modern MSA is as good as it gets. Slide-in pickups give plenty of opportunity to do A - B comparisons. If you order a Mark Giles body, your range of cabinets and colours are limitless.

I've owned a beautiful Mullen RP, played my friend's Rittenberry, but overall I think the MSA is at the top of the tree for the engineering that went into it. A new MSA comes complete with total polished package as standard unlike Mullen guitars where you have to pay extra for the privilege. All guitars that have square cross shafts will have drop-in pullers that can be changed in an instant.

It's worth bearing in mind that there are no bad pedal steels being manufactured these days. There's never been a better time to buy a new pedal steel.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 6:51 pm    

I just ordered a Mullen G2. They Mullen crew are fantastic to deal with and make top quality instruments. I play sock feet so pedal action is important to me... Not to mention that Mullen guitars are gorgeous to look at, and light weight.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2024 8:50 pm    

You really can’t go wrong with any top brand steel
But with build time from one too three years u might need a good used steel while you wait for a new steel too be built.

I like the Mullen Royal precision.
An I really love the (Pre) RP. !!!
Just because I have a pre Rp available
😂

For fit an finish Msa steels are good.
Oh have a nice Msa millennium available also 😂

Last edited by Johnie King on 30 Mar 2024 7:15 pm; edited 2 times in total

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2024 3:10 am    

Thanks to all for the informative responses.

Right now I have my newly acquired 12 string Zum. I'm in the throes of weighing my options regarding its setup. With only 7+5, I fear it's not a D13th contender and Ext E9 looks likely.

All this prevarication over the last two years has brought me the conclusion that I can't better a loaded D10.

I'm not about to part with the Zum yet: I want to enjoy it. But I can see a time when my 2nd and 3rd steels (the SKH and the Zum) will ultimately go to finance one last D10.

Mullen? They've now lost their previous short delivery time advantage and are quoting 18 months.

That's the case everywhere now. I think I'll be watching carefully for a loaded nearly-new D10 - a late model Ritt, an MSA or a Mullen. I have omitted Show-Pro - regretfully - because they lack split tuning. Otherwise, they're works of art!

I would like a feather-light action. A later-model (post 2003-ish) JCH or Zum would also fit the bill.
Whatever it turns out to be, it'll need to be 8+8 at a minimum. (I realized that I tossed two more brands into the mix: having concluded that I don't want a lengthy delivery time permits me to add brands that are no longer made.

Anyone got a loaded Zum Hybrid they don't want(Smile?

And then, only yesterday, I caught a glimpse of Rin Forrest's Cayman Green LeGrande!!!!! Wow!

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2024 5:32 am    

I’m surprised JCH is on the list if you’re loosing for light action. My limited experience is that they’re fast and direct, but on the stiff side.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2024 6:11 am    

Lighter on the post-2003 JCHs.

Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2024 8:21 am     Mullen

I have a brand new lacquer D-10 with aluminum necks in stock. It is a two tone Brown and orange. I will try and get some pictures soon and get it up for sale. It is a 9 Pedal and 5 knee lever. Smile We rarely have anything in stock but this was down at the Dallas show and came home with us.

Last edited by Mike Mantey on 25 Mar 2024 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2024 8:58 am    

Roger

Steve Crosgrey has a beautiful and I mean BEAUTIFUL loaded hybrid zum for sale.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2024 10:48 am    

Roger Rettig wrote:
Thanks to all for the informative responses................ I have omitted Show-Pro - regretfully - because they lack split tuning. Otherwise, they're works of art!

Hi Roger.
Actually Jeff Surratt incorporates splits into his guitars should the customer request it. He doesn't install adjustable screws into the changer, choosing to use under carriage rods instead. Mine has additional rods set up, and they work perfectly. I would put Show Pro against any of the makes that you mentioned and they would more than hold their own. They have got inherently big tone and very smooth pedal action. Jeff is a player (and a darned good one), and he knows what makes a pedal steel guitar a great pedal steel guitar. He was mentored by one of the best of all time - Duane Marrs.

I have to say that MSA and Show Pro are truly custom shop guitars, where you can have a different guitar to anyone else.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Last edited by Ken Byng on 26 Mar 2024 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2024 6:04 am    

Point taken, Ken, and yes: Jeff is a fine player!

Show-Pros are lovely. I had heard that splits could be accomplished but had forgotten. And seeing Mike Johnson playing his stunning-looking D10 on TV with Jimmy Webb the other night was a wake-up call. He nailed 'Wichita Lineman' and his guitar was centre-stage.

My friend Jeff Garden has one too and, despite his large collection, I believe the Show-Pro is his go-to guitar.

Quentin:
Steve has sold it already. Sad

Mike M:
Thanks for the heads-up, but that's not enough KLs and I'd never get that colour-scheme past Mrs. Rettig!! Smile