The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Magnatone Double 8-string G85-DW w/Case $1100 plus shipping
Kevin Swan

Medina, Ohio
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2024 2:16 pm    

Looks to be in nearly perfect condition; the wood slide covering the E9th tuners has two scuffs and someone probably added their name on the front apron face with duct tape.

Here's about all I can find out about this one: Fella's dad was a pedal steeler but only left this one after he passed with little to no background. I think it is late fifties, as the serial number is higher than any I've seen anywhere, and it looks like maybe the second iteration of the "Lyric" as it has separate volume/tone knobs, sliding on/off for each pickup unlike the ones with controls between the necks. Tuners seem to work smoothly, volume pots are quiet, tone has some scratchy sound when adjusting. The "sweep" of the C6th tone control is subtle... subtle.. then all of a sudden jumps. Not sure if that's the nature of these beasts? One advertiser thought perhaps these pickups were Bigsby made or at least designed. (I welcome comments, corrections, suggestions as this is a whole new console to my studio.)

Legs are very VERY adjustable. I'm six-one and would have no problem playing this standing. Although I'm also 68 and would NOT stand, for very long. Scale length is 24 and 1/2 inches. Not sure of the weight but the case feels heavier than the console. Nice the way each leg is stored in the case individually and nothing is rattling around.

I would also meet anyone within fifty miles of zip code 44286 to negate the shipping costs. AND? If we meet or you come try it out in my studio and take it, I'll knock $100 off the price because I hate boxing these steels and the hassles of shipping!

Last edited by Kevin Swan on 22 Apr 2024 6:07 am; edited 2 times in total

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2024 9:12 pm    

Nice to see you have the tuning cover plates. Love those nobs.

Kevin Swan

Medina, Ohio
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2024 6:31 am     Lyric?

Yes the knobs are pretty massive, reminds me of really old TV controls. And those wooden slide covers over the tuning pegs are just lovely. Even unplugged it makes a nice piece of mid-century modern furniture.

The more I read about these Magnatones the more interesting it becomes. Changes in ownership, different designs and builder names: Dickerson/ Oahu/ Bronson/ Magnatone. Now I'm wondering if this should truly be called a "Lyric" as the others actually have that name right on the fretboard. Then there is another series called "Maestro" which could be the triple neck only? Those pickups are really great; I wonder if they really are Bigsby designed. Very clear and bright, especially compared with my Oahu lap steel. Also I'm re-thinking the age of this one, as the OTHER double eight Magnatones of that era, with controls between the necks rather than all the way on the right end, are late fifties at the end of the line for that builder. Perhaps this one is late forties, early fifties? I would love to hear from Forum members who own or have knowledge of these beauties.

I live not far from Cleveland which was home to Oahu Publishing (although not manufacturer) of so much of the "Hawaiian Steel Craze" sheet music and songbook products.

Landon Jarrel

Space
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2024 10:33 am    

Hi Kevin, first of all, the guitar looks fantastic and is in top shape! Regarding the Paul Bigsby involvement, I think that Bigsby was more involved in the Magnatone Standard Guitar line - I am yet to see direct evidence that he worked on redesigning Magnatone steel guitars in the 1950s. See here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20220117045913/http://magnatoneamps.com/guitars50s.html

There were D8 Magnatone steels starting in the very early 50s, but these were very different from the one you are selling. They had, most notably, acrylic tuning knobs, acrylic fretboards with white background, and single-coil pickups under a rectangular cover, one per neck. The re-design that led to your guitar probably happened around 1955 and resulted in the double-pickup, etched enamel fingerboard variant. I think the fretboard markers being almost identical to those on Bigsby steels could be a misleading piece of evidence that Bigsby had some say in the guitar design, but I am not sure. The re-designed Magnatone guitars are, to me, "Stringmaster meets Bigsby" in the sense that the individual maple necks with Bigsby-esque fretboards are attached to a console (like Bigsby steels) whereas the electronics, overall proportions, keyhead design, etc. are very "Stringmaster". I bet that Magnatone was trying to capitalize on the demand for both the Fender and Bigsby steels at this time as they were also an LA-Based Company (Inglewood, if I recall).

Yours is one of the probably last generation of Magnatone steels made because the fretboards are borderless and the pickup covers have black plastic instead of metal with exposed pole pieces as in the first redesigned guitars. This type of Magnatone steel would be, I think, from 1957-60 (when they stopped making steels). The problem is that the serial numbers are very difficult to use for dating the instrument. I wonder how it sounds - probably excellent. There was also a Quad 8, which I have never seen a picture of anywhere, yet one forum member owned one. That one must have been very cool. Info on these steels is quite scarce, so coming up with a complete picture is a bit challenging, but I've done my best given the available info online. Dating individual instruments may have to be relegated to Carbon dating Laughing

The best of luck with your sale as these are amazing guitars that are also increasingly rare! Yours is one of the best I have seen.

Kevin Swan

Medina, Ohio
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2024 11:11 am    

Landon Jarrele wrote:

The best of luck with your sale as these are amazing guitars that are also increasingly rare! Yours is one of the best I have seen.

Thanks for that trove of info! It sure is a wonderful instrument; if I played console-style or even understood that wonderful Hawaiian tuning/slanting stuff I sure would love to keep it. Someone will add it to their collection, I'm sure. Already have a Forumite heading through my area in a few weeks if it doesn't sell before then.

Forgot to ask if there is a "standard" tuning for both necks that would be considered more or less original? Haven't even hooked it up to a tuner to see what's on there right now; seems like maybe an A6th and C13th? I'll have to try to wrap a few of my remaining brain cells around bar slant changes and how to make some basic chords. (That's really what prompted me to attempt pedal steel ten years ago; like a new language a different musical instrument -- or in this case even just a new tuning -- is a great workout for brain longevity.)

Kevin Swan

Medina, Ohio
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2024 8:23 am     Save on Shipping

If you come to my studio and pick this console steel up -- or even if we meet within fifty miles of zip 44286 -- I'll knock a cool $100 off the total price. Because I really don't like to box these steels up, and deal with the shipping, and then wait to hear if it made it one piece!

Kevin Swan

Medina, Ohio
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2024 9:43 am     Spring Green Wisconsin pick up

After 9 April you could also save on shipping picking up in Spring Green Wisconsin

Kevin Swan

Medina, Ohio
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 10:28 am     Earthquakes? Eclipses? Console steel guitars?

Just keeping up with the times. A forum member is stopping by next week to play, drool over and probably also take this beauty home... so fingers crossed!

Keith Bolog

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2024 8:10 am     beautiful steel

In saw this steel the other day I can tell you it looks much nicer in person, pictures dont do it justice and the blemishes pointed out arent even worth mentioning. really beautiful.

Kevin Swan

Medina, Ohio
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2024 6:06 am     New strings and pot cleaning and LOWER PRICE

Thanks for the kind words, Keith and thanks too for playing some tasty Hawaiian on this beauty. Since your visit I’ve cleaned up the noisy pots and done a deep clean before changing out the strings. Sounds a lot better without dead strings!

Sure would love for this to get into the hands of someone who can actually play it. I’m exploring all the great tunings but may never become truly proficient. I’m lowering the price, too.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2024 1:40 pm    

Very nice! I'd be tempted if I didn't already have one. The pickup covers and knobs are different as mentioned, late 50s I guess. I am jealous of the Magnatone badge though...mine doesn't have one for some reason. No nail holes either from where it should've been, so, can't explain why not...

Good luck with the sale!