The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Favorite DAW for Windows 11
Christian DeHoyos

Oside California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2024 7:40 pm    

Hey guys,

I follow some steel players who are using Logic, Garageband, and Luna when they record. But none of these offer Windows options.

In Windows, I've used Cakewalk and Ableton. I'm not certain I'm in love. They either seem geared towards EDM producers or overly complex. Does anyone have a DAW they love to use?

And if so, how did you tweak it to get it to sound the way you dig?

Thanks again
Chris

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2024 1:24 am    

Reaper is free if you can put up with prompts to buy every time you load it, but cheap if you decide to purchase.
It's as simple or as complicated as you choose to configure it. I discovered it can also edit video.
I use it to record our band rehearsals in a friend's house, and a symphonic brass ensemble in a church.
If I want I can also shoot video and sync it up.

Tim Kowalski

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2024 7:23 am     +1 for Reaper

I also recommend Reaper for your DAW. It is very powerful, customizable and there are many YouTube videos to help you learn the program from basic recording to advanced features. I have been using it for years and haven't found anything that it can't do or a plugin that doesn't work with it.

Tom Jordan

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2024 10:05 am    

I use Mixcraft Pro by Acoustica. Works great and have been using for several years.

Tom

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2024 9:20 pm    

I use Presonus Studio One because it's the one I understand the best. They all do the same thing, and there's tons of youtube tutorials for them. It's a deep hole once you take the plunge. There's so much effects plugins, etc... out there to try. Many are free. If you're not careful, you'll spend more time tweaking your setup and trying new plugins than you will actually recording music. I'm guilty of that. Very Happy
Have fun!

RC

Nicholas Cox

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2024 2:33 pm     Daw

Reaper is a great program and one of the most stable.

Colleen McTigue

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2024 11:51 am    

I’ve used Cubase forever, and I love it. You can get Cubase Elements to start, it’s relatively inexpensive, and a good basic setup. I’m on Cubase 13 Pro, and have had no issues with it in Windows 11.

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2024 5:49 pm    

What kind of tasks do you want to do with a DAW? If your just going to record and edit audio it doesn't get much simpler than the free audio editor, Audacity. https://www.audacityteam.org/

You mentioned Cakewalk which I assume is the free Cakewalk by Bandlab DAW. I agree Cakewalk is a very complex program. But, since the interface is modular you can hide all the elements you don't want or need and create a VERY simple to use interface. In the top, right hand corner there is a drop down menu labeled Workspaces. I'd suggest starting with the "Basic" workspace and customize it to the way you want to work. Then save your custom workspace under a new workspace name. I should also point out that there are Youtube videos about using Cakewalk by Bandlab as well as professional video tutorials at Groove3.com.

I've not used Ableton so I hesitate to comment on it.

Others have mentioned Reaper. Like Cakewalk by Bandlab the Reaper interface can be customized to any degree you want. It costs nothing to try and $60 to buy. The best thing about Reaper is it has a strong and helpful forum as well as many available tutorials. https://www.reaper.fm/

Rick Campbell brought up a very good point, he uses PreSonus Studio One because it works the way he thinks. That's what you want is a software you are comfortable with and feels intuitive to you.

I like Cakewalk by Bandlab for mixing and for all the neat things it can do. But I do most of my live recording on an eight track hardware DAW, a Zoom MRS-8 (the MRS stands for mobile recording studio). I find online recording and gross audio editing easier using Audacity.

You may find you end up using multiple tools depending on what you want to do.
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Joseph Carlson

Grass Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2024 6:22 pm    

Another vote for Presonus Studio One. It just seems to make sense for me, not too complicated, drag and drop functionality. Way more intuitive than other DAWs I've tried.

An added bonus is that you can master with it too.

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2024 5:28 pm    

Chris,

I hope you will update this thread and let us know what you tried, likes and dislikes of each and what works best for you.
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2024 2:22 am    

PreSonus Studio One is what I recommend. I have not tried many others, except ProTools (forget it). I rely on the YT Videos to help me through any confusion and have found Studio One easy to work with.

Michael McGee

Everton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2024 5:57 pm    

Reaper is my choice.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2024 10:08 am    

Joseph wrote:
An added bonus is that you can master with it too.

I've used Studio One for quite a while, and like Rick and some others have said, it seems to work like I think.

But this 'Project' feature that Joseph mentions is REALLY useful, not just for mastering, although that's likely the target use. Being able to 'build' a project (we could call it a 'release') from multiple songs, and easily work on getting consistent levels, equalization, etc. across each one, arranging a play order, song gaps, etc.. etc. is VERY nice. And this all happens in the context of a project, essentially on one screen. Great feature.. you don't you need it until you do. Smile

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2024 2:30 am    

Steinberg Nuendo and Cubase, ProTools for PC or Mac and Presonus Studio One all work very well in Windows 11. I have used them all. All are industry standards for paid professional audio engineer's in 2024. Not as cheap as the others but come with all the tools you need for recording editing and mixing.