The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jack Sharp MSA
Bradley Greene

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 12:07 pm    

Hey folks,

Somebody close to me is selling this Jack Sharp MSA 10 string. I don't know anything about pedal steels but from googling I can't find anything about Jack Sharp and the MSA logo looks unofficial or was just stuck on there.

Any insight on what this actually is? I'm probably going to go check it out anyway at least.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 1:14 pm    

I'll leave it to people more expert than me to give you info about this steel.
But I can tell you that yes, the MSA logo is a stick-on and not an MSA logo.
And Jack Sharp, who I do not know, is not a model name or anything like that.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 1:20 pm    

It appears to be mostly an early ‘70s MSA. By that I mean the changer, nut, tuning heads, neck, fretboard, pedalboard, and pedals are all MSA parts. The endplates, neck trim, and body trim are not MSA pieces. A photo of the underside would likely identify the exact model. But since it has new endplates, the serial number is probably gone and further info may not be obtainable.

Bradley Greene

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 2:29 pm    

I went and looked at it and Donny I think you're spot on. Underneath there was nothing to tell me what model it was. It actually has one knee lever which i thought was odd and it was a lot lighter than I was expecting.

I passed on it; figured if I'm going to make the jump to pedal steel; I'll spend a little more money and get myself something nice.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 3:20 pm    

I'd guess it started out as a rosewood S10 Classic, but Classics with only one lever are very rare. Someone may have removed levers, or it may have been special-ordered that way. The only way to tell would be with a close examination of the bushings in the rails. And if there are no bushings in the front and rear rails, then it could be a re-bodied Sidekick or Red Baron.

Jeremy JT Young

Loretto Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 10:23 pm     Msa?

I talked to him earlier this eve. he said he thought it had been "heavily modified" not sure if that was after you guys had went and checked it out. If it was an MSA f some type I was interested in it for a parts guitar. My son has one he was needing some parts for.
JT Young, Nashville LTD SD10,MSA Classic D10, Baggett Custom S10, Payne S10, 1976 Sierra Olympic S12 Ext.E9th, Hudson Deluxe 6, 2 2x12 Fender Blues Devilles, 1x12 Fender Blues Deluxe, Nashville 112 w Celestion, Boss Katana, Telonics, Peterson, Boss, Goodrich, Electro Harmonix