The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey Special 130 question.
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2024 7:01 pm    

I am putting a Peavey Special 130 back together in a custom cabinet, and the reverb Molex plug will go either direction. Usually, the Peavey amps have a notch at the end of the slot where the Molex plugs in, that matches the pointed side of the Molex. But, this Special 130 does not have that notch. If anyone has a Special 130 handy, can you tell me if the pointed side of the plug goes toward or away from the power transformer? Your help will be appreciated.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Kerry Johnson

the Bay Area, CA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2024 7:19 pm    

Hi Darvin,

You might consider calling Peavey Repair and asking them.
They are usually helpful.

Best!
~Kerry Johnson

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2024 7:31 pm    

I don't think you would hurt anything to try it both ways and see which sounds best. I do that all the time with no problem.

Pat Kane

Delaware, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2024 8:06 pm    

Mine has the point facing away from the transformer

Ken Fox’s orientation diagram

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 3:54 am    

Thanks Pat, that is exactly what I needed.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Pat Kane

Delaware, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 10:04 am    

You’re welcome, Darvin. Would love to see a finished photo. I’m planning on putting my 130 in a new cab as well in the near future.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2024 8:40 am    

Pat, I finally got some pics of the cabinet I built for the Special 130. I started building this for a Bandit 65 chassis I have, but I ran across a Special 130 working chassis, so I bought it. I had to replace the filter caps and buy a reverb spring unit, but it all works great now.

Pat Kane

Delaware, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2024 8:44 am    

Wow, now that is cool! Beautiful work. The logo offset in the corner really sets it off.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2024 8:51 am    

I never understood why Peavey put the logo directly in front of the top of the speaker. I've built several cabinets and I always move it over to the side.

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2024 10:01 am    

That looks nice, Darvin! I did one a few years ago, but since my woodworking skills aren't as good as yours, I covered mine with tolex!

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2024 3:17 pm    

I have a few “bobbles” on this one if you look close. I don’t see quite as well as I used to and it shows.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2024 8:02 pm    

That's a great looking cabinet. Nice work.