The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bobby Koefer
Johnny Case

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2024 2:54 pm    

The great Bobby Koefer passed away Friday, March 15, 2024. I have no details but will update as I learn more. Sad

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2024 5:30 pm    

Sad news. Rip Bobby.

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2024 7:36 pm    

One of the greatest from the non-pedal era. I particularly enjoyed the Timewarp Tophands albums that featured him and Tom Morrell together (thanks Johnny for your contributions to those!). RIP.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2024 7:55 pm    

So sad to read this news.
Great player and entertainer with unorthodox technique and a great sense of humor. An inspiration.
Thanks for letting us know, Johnny.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2024 6:09 am    

Bobby had the most unusual bar but no problems playing some amazing music. His set at the ISGC St Louis was a show stopper.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2024 10:23 am    

Born August 18, 1928, Bobby was 95 years of age.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jim R. Harrison

North Vancouver, B. C., Canada
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2024 11:39 am    

I'm sorry to hear of Bobby's passing. Here's a photo I took of him at Scotty's a few years ago

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2024 11:50 am    

There were a bunch of folks sitting crosslegged on the floor in front of the stage when BK was playing, myself included. Buddy was sitting to my right, Jernigan just behind him, both of them enthralled. Koefer would hit a lick and Buddy would smile the most huge smile ever, shake his head in disbelief, and turn to Doug and me to make sure we knew what we'd just listened to. They were acting like kids. It was a great set.

BTW, that's Ben Brogdon on the bass back there. A dear pal and one of the most solid bassists ever to play the steel show. I miss him to this day.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2024 3:19 pm    

I was playing in Austin with Wylie and the Wild West, around 1998. It was a regular dance with several real country music artists, as well as some the Texas Playboys. Just before the Playboys set, in walks Koefer, with a lady hand in hand both dressed to the hilt! He got on stage set up his Fender by himself and just like that, he started to dazzle everyone. He played as well as ever, and had fun doing it, almost a comic routine. But it was well worth it.

Jerry Horner

Tahlequah, OK, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2024 6:34 am    

I first met Bob at the HiHo Club in Wichita, Kansas in 1958. We became very close friends that has lasted to this day.
He has been and always will be number 1 on my idols list and the greatest western swing player there has been. I will
miss him greatly. Rest in peace Bob.

Jerry

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2024 11:52 am    

Sorry to hear this! He was a Class Act and Great Non Pedal Steel Man! What I really liked about Bobby was his wit and sense of humor. He was like Kayton Roberts in that both had a Funny Sense of Humor. And Boy Howdy could he ever play that Old Fender Steel. Kayton was the same way, they didn't need $10,000 Steel Guitars and 20 Pedals and Knee Levers, and they played their tail ends off! RIP Mr. Bobby !

John Pelz

Kettering, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2024 7:16 pm    

Very sad to hear this. RIP Bobby Koefer!

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2024 2:15 am    

Really sad to read about Bobby's passing. I can only second everything that was said so far. A great person and an amazing musician. His technique was absolutely stunning.

RIP, Bobby and join the Texas Playboys again...

Walter Stettner
Vienna, Austria

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2024 5:56 am    

RIP Bobby. A legend.

Michael Scott

St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2024 8:04 am    

I’m so sorry to hear about Bobby’s passing. Bobby was inducted into the SGHOF in 2004. His contribution to the steel guitar community is measured by all the people who benefited by his music. He will be sadly missed.

Michael Scott
President
The Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame, Inc.
St. Louis, MO.
a 501(c)(3) “Not For Profit” Organization
Tax ID #43-1344660
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jerry Horner

Tahlequah, OK, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2024 1:37 pm    

I've looked all over the internet for an obituary on Bobby and not one to be found.
Has anyone else located one?

Jerry

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 10:27 am    

I am so sorry to hear this. He was an incredible player (and loved his left had holding the bar), a sense of humor, and one of the best western swing steel players ever. Though he was getting up in the years, what a profound loss. May he rest in peace.

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Robbie Bossert

WESCOSVILLE,PA,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2024 4:19 am    

RIP. Thanks for the music…..,

Jerome Vogel

Northern Arizona
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2024 10:49 pm    

One of a kind.

Earl Calvert

East Wenatchee, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2024 6:37 pm     Bobby Koefer Obituary

Judy Koefer sent this to me today to post here on the Steel Guitar Forum:

Bobby Koefer, 95, legendary steel guitarist, has passed away.

John Robert (Bobby) Koefer passed away March 16 at St Charles Hospital, Bend, OR after a recent illness. He was born August 18, 1928 in Clay Center KS.

At an early age, he was inspired by the steel guitar sounds he heard listening to “Hawaii Calls” on the radio. He also cited his later discovery of Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys as a motivational force to learn to play.

In the late 30’s he bought a steel guitar via mail order. It came with no instruction guide, steel bar or picks and no-one around to teach or help him. He had a local machine shop make him a four-inch polished piece of angle iron to use to slide on the strings. He relied on his own instincts and made up his own tunings and chords and began playings his own solos. He created his own unorthodox, unique and original approach to playing. To this day few have been able to duplicate or replicate his style.

In 1947 he made his first recordings and did radio programs in Dallas, TX with Homer Clemons and His Texas Swingbillies. Recordings of 'Operation Blues’ and ‘Little Beaver’,which Bobby wrote, appearing on Blue Bonnet Records, featured Bobby’s jaw dropping steel guitar style. He also did stints with Bill Boyd and Jim Boyd and other DFW region bands. In 1950 he went to Indiana playing for Tex Justice. From there, he went on to work for Bob Wills with whom he made recordings with MGM, notably ‘Hubbin It’, ’Twinkle Star’ and a stunning steel solo on ‘Brown Skin Gal’ , which elicited Wills hollering out his approval, “Ah, Bobby, Mr. Koefer! Ah, Let’s gopher”. He also did recordings on Snader's Telescriptions and did many radio programs in the southwest.

In 1952 he joined Pee Wee King. They were regulars on the Grand Old Opry, recorded for RCA and King Records. He made particularly hot jazz and western swing arrangements of ‘Dragnet', 'Seven Come Eleven’, 'Farewell Blues' and 'Flying Home’. During this time Bobby wrote a steel guitar instrumental, “Curtain Call”, which today is still well known by steel guitarists around the world and is considered a standard. He went on to play with Billy Gray & His Western Okies in Dallas. While there he recorded ‘Bandera Shuffle’, Tippin In’ and ‘Curtain Call’.

In 1956 led his own band, 'Hi Ho Four’ in Wichita, KS. For 5 years they played 6 nights a week; “..every night was a Saturday Night”. Music styles began changing and Bobby decided he needed a change.

In 1961 Bobby moved to Alaska working in the construction business for the next 25 years. He briefly played with some local musicians while in Anchorage. He then stopped playing music and rumor had it he buried his steel, had a funeral and vowed to never play again. He and his steel survived the 9.2 Great Alaskan Earthquake and post quake Tsunami of March 1964. During the winter months he traveled to remote countries and spent 5 winters with the Inuit’s on Little Diomede Island on the Bering Strait, 2 miles from Russia.

In 1989 Bobby retired and moved to Bend, OR and resumed his music career. His music abilities and talent were better than ever. For the next 25 years he recorded and played with Leon Rausch and the Texas Playboys, Truitt Cunningham, Tom Morrell, Tommy Allsup, Eldon Shamblin and Johnny Gimble. He played many concerts, events and dances including Lincoln Center, NY and the 2009 Presidential Inauguration. Among his many awards he was inducted into The Steel Guitar Hall of Fame, St. Louis, MO and is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, via the Texas Playboys

Bobby is well known for his positive attitude, high energy, sharp wit and friendliness. He was a mentor and teacher and helped guide many up and coming musicians. He has many admirers and friends across the globe. He is well known for saying “You don’t have to be good, you just have to SELL IT”.

He is survived by his loving wife of 24 years, Judy of Bend, OR. A son, Gregg Koefer (wife Sandy) of Midlothian, TX. A daughter, Tracey Hartgrave (husband Cliff) of Terrell, TX as well as 7 grandchildren and 8 great grandchildren.