Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Inspired Console Reso
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2024 6:57 am    

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2024 7:26 am    

I am really happy with how this turned out! I learned a ton doing this and it was more fun than frustrating. It has a TON of volume and sustain and really good note clarity. Exactly what I wanted. The body is pine and I tried to incorporate as much of the traditional open body Dobro type design as I could in a square box. I mounted some brackets to experiment with baffles, but I don't think it needs one.

Future design will start with 4 lowering pedals as the core part of the diminished tuning, but I plan on just playing around with it like this using A13 for a while... Here are the details if you want to know. https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=3137278

I am trying to figure out a stacked arrangement for the 4 raise pedals, but it is tricky.... I feel 90% of what I play is covered in the 4 lowering pedal arrangement, but the raises add another dimension. My new plan for the raises is to make them in the upper octave only. This way I can use the left side to create a 2 note shell- Major minor Quartal or tritone and then use the raises to create upper structure triads, which can then be inverted up the neck.... It should work... In theory Laughing This tuning started out as just a theory, thinking this should work. Now I know it works and I am getting better at arranging tunes using it.

Another development with the tuning! On one of my other prototype guitars I figured out a diminished/E9 sort of universal addition to my core tuning. By raising the entire tuning 1/2 step, it gives me E6 on pedals 2+3. Then I added A&B pedals on 5&6 which gives some kind of Sneaky Peteish options. On pedal7 I added a lower octave raise to D giving E13 and an upper E to F# which gives some nice 9th or 6/9 options as well as lots of others.... I am having a blast with this one!I plan on writing an update and hopefully sharing some sound files in the future, but time and technology problems make this difficult for me. Thanks for sticking with me, I know these are some long posts, but I am really loving this instrument! Laughing

Greg Forsyth

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2024 10:40 am    

Very cool Tim!!! Nice clean design and Nothing can rattle your bones like a Skeletone!

Mark Perrodin

Tucson Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2024 2:17 pm     reso

would love to hear it!

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2024 5:59 am    

Greg Forsyth wrote:
Very cool Tim!!! Nice clean design and Nothing can rattle your bones like a Skeletone!

HaHa! I may have gotten a little carried away. This is my $65 "Glarry" TL guitar. Sounds ridiculously good and with a little fret work plays very well. The other steel is my new E9ish toy which I gave a makeover. The bass rail pickups sound really good too. Yup I am a cheap date.

BJ Burbach

New York, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2024 2:52 am     console reso

Tim, what tuners/pan did you use?
BJ

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2024 8:09 am     Re: console reso

BJ Burbach wrote:
Tim, what tuners/pan did you use?
BJ
I used Kluson tuners and tuner pan. A bit expensive, but gives a more professional appearance. The cutout was a bit tricky to get right. Start undersized and make small adjustments till it is perfect.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2024 6:51 pm     WoW Tim!

WoW Tim!
How kool is that.
You sure did kind of get that Fender look.
I'd love to see how it works.
Andy Very Happy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2024 6:06 am     Re: WoW Tim!

Andy DePaule wrote:
WoW Tim!
How kool is that.
You sure did kind of get that Fender look.
I'd love to see how it works.
Andy Very Happy

Thanks Andy! I appreciate the compliment Smile It is fun to dream something up and try to bring it to life! It is on the workbench and I think I have an idea of how to set up the pedals. It will be a few months before I can cobble it all together. I am working on a few tunes on my other guitar to make a video hopefully soon or possible just do some Soundcloud recordings. Hopefully I don't embarrass myself.