The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender 10 string PSG
Mike McBride

Indiana
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2024 9:19 am    

I have spent 30-40 hours noodling on lap steels over the last 20 years. Every 4-5 years I try again.

At the ripe age of 60 I'm thinking of making a fuller commitment to the steel.

Can you good folks share thoughts on the guitar in this photo? I see it has 3 knee levers and 3 pedals. Is this a good place for a rookie to start?

What would be a reasonable price here in the Midwest corn field?

Last edited by Mike McBride on 1 Mar 2024 9:55 am; edited 2 times in total

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2024 9:22 am    

Shots of the undercarriage and changer end will help determine value.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2024 10:14 am    

That's a student model, these were built for Fender by Sho-Bud in the late '70s. It's kind of like an upgraded Maverick, pull-release changer with Sho-Bud Super Pro style mechanics in the undercarriage. It looks like a nice one, the others I've seen were all painted black. Based on the nice birdseye front apron I will speculate that someone may have built a new body for this one but perhaps that is original, I don't know. Assuming the underside is original, complete and fully functional, with case, it should be worth ~$1000-$1200.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2024 10:25 am    

What Ian said. Further, appears to have 2 aftermarket knee levers exposed in the pic, but really need to see the business end/side of it.

FWIW, in today's market Ian has offered close to going price for what is essentially a Sho-Bud Maverick, but I would place a value that I would pay a little bit short of that.

All depends on underneath shots and further info.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2024 8:33 pm    

While it is still a simple student guitar, I would definitely rank these a notch above a Maverick. The changer fingers are much more substantial and have multiple holes for pull rods with an open end plate window and nylon nuts to tune the changes like a Stage One or GFI SM. They have a conventional cross shaft/bell crank/pull rod setup vs. the Maverick's funky yoke and coat hanger pull system. Much easier to add levers, and no problem to have both raises and lowers on the same string, something that takes a bit of finagling on a Maverick. It's not a pro guitar, but it's a better guitar than a Maverick.

Mike McBride

Indiana
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2024 2:59 pm    

Here are additional photos

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2024 10:48 am    

Looks a bit rough under there, I'll downgrade my estimate a bit, maybe $800-$900. The two added knees in particular look pretty funky, but a few other bits too. It probably all does what it's supposed to, but definitely could use a little TLC underneath. It has the basic E9 changes, LKR lowers strings 2 & 9, RKL raises 4 & 8, RKR lowers 4 & 8. Would be a decent setup to learn on.

Mike McBride

Indiana
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2024 11:02 am    

Thanks Ian. I offered $800 but it was declined. That was before he provided undercarriage and end photos

Russ Swanson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 4:54 pm    

Those Fender/Shobuds are workhorses.

Undercarriage looks good.

The birdseye maple is looks original. Fender covered them with tolex.

Would make a good one to get into PS. Price is fair and about the same as recent sales.

Mike McBride

Indiana
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2024 3:06 am    

This guitar sold for $1000 but not to me.

It's probably for the best. I'm sure my wife would quickly tire of hearing me play Rainy Day Woman for 5-6 hours per day.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2024 3:44 am    

Mike McBride wrote:
This guitar sold for $1000 but not to me.

It's probably for the best. I'm sure my wife would quickly tire of hearing me play Rainy Day Woman for 5-6 hours per day.

20 years ago, that was a $500[or less] guitar.. Things have changed... I see contact paper Mavericks going for $1200 these days, and this Fender is a better guitar.. Better changer, Fender pickup, 3 knee levers as opposed to the 1 that a Maverick usually has.. So while you [or me for that matter], would not pay $1000, in todays reality its actually a fair price on a pretty cool looking and probably nice sounding guitar... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......