The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  SOLD Evans SE100 (PREA100) Combo from 1998 100 Watts SOLD
Kevin Swan

Medina, Ohio
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2024 2:18 pm    

Nice Evans combo, never left my conditioned, smoke- and pet-free studio for the ten years I've owned it. Master volume knob was chipped when I bought it. Has a bright white carrot at the three o'clock position to see where your settings are.

Nice clean power, with lots of unusual controls... maybe TOO many? Here's how a previous forum member described the few things that might raise both eyebrows as well as questions:

*Scruff: Adds a very subtle tube-like warmth.
*Reverb: (digital) Evans mentioned that this is a hall setting, and besides having a very musical sound is also extremely versatile if you want a slightly lusher sound for example.
*Bass: The closed back design to make bass notes more precise.
*Depth: This is another very useful feature. As most of us have figured out by now, bass and treble settings are usually not an issue. The midrange frequencies, however have always been a real problem for all guitarists. Using the depth, you can dial in just the right amount of richness without the mud effect.
*Body: Used to set the desired amount of midrange and darkness. This is a multi-function control that increases low midrange tones while rolling off high frequencies.
*Expand: Think of this as cutting through the mix adjustment. This feature boosts the highs and the lows.

Last edited by Kevin Swan on 12 Mar 2024 10:20 am; edited 9 times in total

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2024 8:33 pm    

What size is the speaker?
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Kevin Swan

Medina, Ohio
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2024 8:24 am     Speaker size

Pretty sure it is a twelve. I emailed Evans for specs but have yet to hear back.

Kevin Swan

Medina, Ohio
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2024 1:37 pm     Lowered Price

Yes is is the twelve inch speaker, and I've lowered the price, just to try to get this into the studio or stage of someone who could use it. I've got other amps and no longer need this guy.

Kevin Swan

Medina, Ohio
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2024 8:55 am     Updated information:

Spoke this morning with Scot Buffington with Evans Amplifiers; he has zero idea why his father called this amp a PREA100 and said the specs match their model SE100. I wondered why it was difficult finding a manual.

So it's 100 Watts, with a single 12" speaker, and looks like the "Scruff" control was moved from the back on this amp to the front on the JE100. Other than that I see little difference.

I'll be driving between Cleveland and Chicago soon and could meet up with anyone along that route or at either end; if it's still available I'll also be in the Madison Wisconsin area near the end of May. As Scot mentioned it's not always easy, inexpensive or even practical to ship an amp.

Kevin Swan

Medina, Ohio
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2024 6:24 am     Cleveland, Chicago, anywhere in between!

Lowered the price to see if we can move this amp sooner. Also willing to meet within 50 miles of 44286 or if you could wait I’ll be going to Chicago in March and Madison WI in May

Kevin Swan

Medina, Ohio
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2024 5:51 am     Lower, lower, lowest price

Just don’t need this amp and want it in the hands of someone who can/will use it. Thanks!

Daymon LaPoint

Jasper, Texas
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2024 8:01 am    

Kevin, check you pm's and email.

'66 Emmons Bolt-On, Sho-Bud LDG, Sho-Bud Fingertip, Rus-Ler D-10, '70 Emmons, P2P Bad Dawg, Fender '59 Bassman,'59 Fender Twin "Bonamassa", Fender Twin Reverb and Rick Johnson Cabinets. Previous and Proud owner of James Blonde, Brownie, and Rosalee.

Kevin Swan

Medina, Ohio
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 11:38 am     Donation Sent

Donation sent to the Forum.

Curiously, on the day I sold the Evans I received a Quilter from the wife of a guy I played with years ago who passed away. Life's a great, big circle.