The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Unison strings licks
James Lutz

Wisconsin
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 7:50 am    

For various reasons I pull strings 1 and 7 to G, not G#. Are there ways to get unison splits without pulling 1 a whole step? I’m thinking if the Lloyd Green copedent found on here is still accurate, how does he get strings pulling to the same notes in his playing? Obviously I’m a beginner on the steel so this may be an obvious answer to you who actually play one! Thank you for your time. Here’s my E9 copedent. [img]
[/img]

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 8:35 am    

With your setup:

String 2 - RKR
String 5 - Pedal 1

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 8:47 am    

You used the word 'split' -- Lee gave you one, where it's notes in unison... that you can then release the pedal and knee and the notes split off in different directions, one going up and one down.

But I think you might be asking about doing unison licks in general, not specifically splits, right?

If so, here's a useful place to get a unison lick:
String 1
String 4 - Pedal 3

James Lutz

Wisconsin
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 8:52 am    

Yes thank you , that’s the Touch My Heart etc pull. I’ll see where I can work that combination in. Counterpoint is a great sound. I appreciate you. I’ll work on my bar slants as well and pulling behind the bar too.

James Lutz

Wisconsin
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 8:56 am    

If so, here's a useful place to get a unison lick:
String 1
String 4 - Pedal 3

This looks good, I’ll work on this Thank you!

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 8:57 am    

Have you considered just tuning your 1st string raise lever to go to G#? Fun to play with and you might like it better; you can sort of half-knee it to get the G note, so you have both worlds.

Depending on how much slack is in your pull-train, you might be able to just crank the nylon nut to tune it on up to G# to try it out.

If getting to G# takes all the slack out of your pull-train, that 'overtuned' situation can be fixed by moving the pull-rod up on the bellcrank (i.e. one slot further away from the the cross-rod).

James Lutz

Wisconsin
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 9:17 am    

Tucker Jackson wrote:
Have you considered just tuning your 1st string raise lever to go to G#? Fun to play with and you might like it better; you can sort of half-knee it to get the G note, so you have both worlds.

Depending on how much slack is in your pull-train, you might be able to just crank the nylon nut to tune it on up to G# to try it out.

If getting to G# takes all the slack out of your pull-train, that 'overtuned' situation can be fixed by moving the pull-rod up on the bellcrank (i.e. one slot further away from the the cross-rod). Then, unscrew the tuning nut to put the slack back in the train and try to tune up again.

It was set up that way when I got it not quite a year ago. RKL strings 1 +half and whole, 2 +half, 6 -whole. I didn't care for 2 raising so I removed that. I like both F#s both going to G a lot. The feel stop does work pretty well so I could bring 1 and 7 back up and have the best of both worlds. I really love the 6th string drop so I put that on the other lever.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 9:21 am    

Unison:
String 2 open
String 4 LKR (half step lower to D#)

Options on Release of String 4 LKR:
1) Engage RKR on 2
2) Raise 4 with Pedal C
3) Do both 1 & 2
4) Engage LKL, leave 2 open or engage RKR

Option #4 involves a slide up one fret. Going from a lower to a raise on the same string / same knee can sound as awkward as it feels. Gotta practice hard for that one. On #1,2, and 3, sliding up is optional.

You have that low register unison on 10A (P1) and 9RKR too.

I’m not sure but I have always thought Lloyd’s copedent does not include the half-step lower on String 4.

James Lutz

Wisconsin
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 9:32 am    

Thank you Fred. There's a lot of good info in your reply and it's practice practice practice!

It's my understanding as well that LG does not lower 4.

Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 3:29 pm    

Reverse slants involving string 2 (D#) and string 5(B) can yield some beautiful unison and contrary motion sounds beyond the straight bar intervals generally available on those strings.
As string 2&5 are a major 3rd interval it is not unlike how they'd be approached on an open tuned lap steel or dobro moving up through a harmonized scale - but the generous spacing between them on E9 makes it easier than if those pitches were on adjacent strings.
Adding the raise on string 5 and/or the lower on string 2, combined with the reverse slant at various steps can really create great tensions and resolutions...
I have never had the C# on string 2 so getting a unison on those 2 strings has to be done this way.

James Lutz

Wisconsin
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2024 7:44 am    

Thank you Andrew, that sounds intriguing, I like the sound of slants, the slight (hopefully) imperfections.

After all these helpful responses, I’ve decided to change my copedent and put the three levers I’ve removed back on. I think I’ve come up with a setup that will cover my bases on both necks. I wanted to take a flyer on trying an 8x4 setup but I missed a few sounds that way. Once I get this back together I’m gonna be done tinkering and get back to practicing. Lesson learned here. Thanks all!