Post  Posted 20 Dec 2023 4:47 pm     Re: Aluminum legs

Rick Cantrell wrote:
Looking to buy 4 light weight legs

http://steelguitarparts.net/guitar/steel_guitar_legs_catalog.htm

Michael Greer

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2023 8:32 am    

Mike / Rick

I could be wrong , but I believe that is the website for my friend Ray Allen that just recently passed away.

Ray was a great singer and we looked forward to seeing and hearing him every year in St Louis and Dallas.

Hopefully other providers emerge for steel guitar legs

Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2023 9:37 am     Steel Guitar Parts

I am looking into it however trying to source the correct aluminum tube is proving to be a challenge. I will keep you updated.
thanks
wayne

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2023 1:33 pm    

Wayne, if you did take that up you should have a ready market to sell many sets. I believe the legs that Alan Ray sold were fabricated from tubing that was already plated but I'm not certain. That last time I inquired with him he said that his supplier for that material had bitten the dust during covid, but if you were to mass produce a large quantity of them from readily available un-plated tubing, you could have them plated in bulk to save some $. There were a couple of other guys here on the forum who used to make legs too, Don Burrows and Glen Porter, I don't know if either still does, but likely not.

I have a set of Alan's legs, they're very nice (not for sale Rick, sorry). Outer diameter is standard 7/8", wall thickness is ~0.078" (vs. ~0.056 for typical steel leg). The 1/2-13 threaded top plug is steel, but the clutch nut is alloy. The clutch thread is more coarse than a typical mic stand clutch thread, it's 7/8-14 vs. 7/8-27 for standard (I think). I believe he did this to make the threads more durable over time with the softer material. Here's a pic of the end and the clutch (Alan's leg on the left).

Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2023 2:58 pm     legs

Those measurements really help a lot Ian...LOL since your in a giving mood how about the length of the outer tube
thanks
wayne

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2023 3:52 pm     Re: legs

Wayne Brown wrote:
...how about the length of the outer tube...

The outer 7/8" tube is 22-7/16" long, the inner 5/8" tube is ~24-7/16" (it's 24-1/2" including the internal plastic spacer cap). Outer threaded length is ~13/16". The clutch threads appear to be cut, not rolled, and they appear to be plated too, which would suggest the legs were plated after being threaded and cut to length. The steel top plug is 2" long overall w/ ~21/32" protruding, the 1/2-13 threaded portion extends 9/16" beyond the flange, the flange is about 3/32", the rest is press-fit inside the tube. The clutch nut is ~1-5/8" long x ~1-1/4"Ø. The split nylon clutch ring is ~1/2 tall, ~3/32 thick (13/16" OD). The bevel appears to be the same as a standard 37° 5/8" flare fitting used for pipe connections, the brass compression washer has the corresponding internal bevel on one side, the interior surface at the closed end of the clutch nut has the same corresponding bevel shape.

Here are some detail pics where you can see all of this: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16BGPslDlqb6auwMctrlGk__Pb_38Vs4c. You're on your own from here! I hope you can make it happen, good luck!

Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2023 6:52 pm     Legs

Thanks Ian ...I'll check into it some more
thanks
wayne

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2024 5:19 pm    

Every part of those Suncoast legs was custom made, other than maybe the orange inner tube caps and the black rubber tips. The tubing was definitely machined prior to plating.

Plating seems to be the biggest issue with being able to make these in the US and probably Canada too. Being able to make them profitably even if you found a plating source might be a different story though. Maybe not.

Those legs were the best I ever saw. I used several of the alloy legs and literally thousands of the plated steel legs.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2024 9:40 pm    

Who do you buy your legs from now Doug? I'm just wondering who is actually manufacturing steel legs currently, and if there might be any interest in picking up where Suncoast left off with the alloy legs. Based on your post it sounds like you already know the answer to that question, but it sure seems like there is a market for them.

Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2024 2:01 am    

I have posted some updates here
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=398580
Thanks
wayne

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2024 7:27 am    

Ian,

I am making legs on my own using extruded heavy wall aluminum tube with the threaded foot insert on the back legs adjustment. Several builders use this, GFI has done it for years.

I don't like having to build legs but I like the other options even less.

I studied it to death and couldn't come up with a reason to continue to use microphone stand type legs, at least for my purposes. Gene Fields came to the same answer years ago. If Shot Jackson had to send to China to buy guitar legs I'm pretty sure he would have done something different too.

I visited at length many times with the Suncoast man about the leg making process. We had become quite good friends.

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2024 8:35 am    

Is this your work Ian? These are on brother Stu's Desert Rose S10. Super fine!

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2024 10:14 am    

Dave Grafe wrote:
Is this your work Ian?

Not me, I'm just an observer in this discussion. That looks like a really good system though, similar to what Doug described. Something like that would be much easier to produce than the traditional mic stand style legs. The adjustable foot looks like it's just a 1/2-13 steel bolt with the head cut off.

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2024 12:16 pm    

We have gotten away from the original discussion of wanting lightweight legs, I'll just add that I don't know of anyone doing that.

The legs I'm doing weigh pretty much the same as the steel microphone stand type traditional legs.

The picture shows front leg in the pedal rack, rear leg with adjustable foot, and the body attachment end for all legs. The same thing as in the Dave Grafe picture here, just different details.

Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 8:40 am     steel guitar legs

I put an update here
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=3197259#3197259
thanks
wayne

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 2:34 pm    

I may be wrong , but I believe Jeff at Show Pro makes his own legs … don’t know if he’d sell any tho

Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 2:46 pm     Legs

Thanks for that Damir but I’m not looking to buy. I’m looking to manufacture
Thanks
Wayne