The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Did you ever not care for a when it was first released but..
Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2024 5:01 pm    

The singer in the band I play with now wanted to do the song "Rose Garden." I thought yuck. I disliked the song when Lynn Anderson released it. I didn't like it when Martina McBride recorded it. But I was just one cog in a machine. So I went along with it.

I come to find it is both challenging and delightful to play live. Old minds can change.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2024 6:24 pm    

When I was a kid, I received Are You Experienced as a birthday gift from a cousin way hipper than I. I had a crappy portable fold-up record player (mono) that I bought at one of the first four Target discount stores with money I had saved from my after school paper route. I loathed Are You Experienced. A few weeks later, I brought it over to a friend's house whose dad was a major audiophile. It would be accurate to admit that it grew on me. 40+ million sales later...

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2024 5:06 am    

Maybe fifteen years ago I bought an album by Magnum, a hard rock combo from Birmingham/England. I only listend to it once, because this was not normally the kind of music I listened to. When I read of the sudden death of their composer and great guitar I put it on again and after a few listens I really liked it and even got their latest release from this year.
RIP Tony Clarkin.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2024 9:10 am    

Absolutely. A lot of music from the 80s I despised at the time, especially New Wave. Now I’m almost obsessed with some of it.

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2024 12:09 pm    

I remember for awhile, I didn't think I was a fan of Ronnie Milsap's song "Stranger In My House" for some reason, but now, every time it comes on, I sing along with it! It's a well written and sung song and it's now one of my favorites! I also didn't like Stevie Wonder's "I Just Called To Say I Love You" because it brought back a memory of when I was a kid, and the song would come on while I was on my way to school, and it made me feel sad, but I love it now!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Phillip Hermans

Berkeley, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2024 1:31 pm    

With few exceptions, I pretty much cringe at any contemporary music played upon its release...

But now 30 years later, I enjoy a lot of 90s country and pop music. I think it is part nostalgia, and part listening to it in a different context. The lack of "hype" around a release and being able to choose to listen to it, rather than having it shoved down your throat, also helps.

Speaking of shoved down our throats, I think I would enjoy a lot more classic rock if people would stop playing it all the time. I was already sick of so many songs before I was old enough to even appreciate them, and now every film trailer seems to include some orchestral remix of a Rolling Stones song or other well-trod boomer hit.
/rant

I have a general theory with country music in particular. It sounds better with age. I never would have believed that I would enjoy Joe Diffie or Sawyer Brown back in the 90s. Now I love it!

I shudder to think that the same will come true with current popular country music out of Nashville. Am I going to feel nostalgic for trap beats and snapping songs about Applebee's???

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2024 2:15 pm    

Phillip Hermans wrote:

Speaking of shoved down our throats, I think I would enjoy a lot more classic rock if people would stop playing it all the time. I was already sick of so many songs before I was old enough to even appreciate them, and now every film trailer seems to include some orchestral remix of a Rolling Stones song or other well-trod boomer hit.

This is why I end up listening to albums and skipping the overplayed songs. Or listening to an artist's lesser played but still good albums. Might also have a lot to do with growing up in the post radio void of the 00s.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2024 2:43 pm    

I was posting about playing steel in a band, not listening to music. I loved Foxy Lady, but I can’t imagine playing it now. I call songs that I disdain $100 songs. tip the band a C-note and we will play SH Alabama, or P Mary or whatever.

Bobby Hearn

Henrietta, Tx
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2024 3:49 pm    

Jon, funny you mentioned Rose Garden, my wife imagines that intro every time she walks into the room.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2024 7:54 pm    

I like most all kinds of music, but the amount of stuff I didn't care for from decades ago pales in comparison to the amount of modern stuff I really don't care for. Music now (for the most part) has gotten too compressed, and too formulaic. And then there the loudness thing, and the jangly fill in the background, and the over-presence of...

Never mind, don't get me started. Muttering

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2024 4:42 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
And then there the loudness thing,

Thankfully this is beginning to die out simply because the streaming services all normalize music so the loudness war is pretty much over as there isn't an advantage to making your record sound "loud" anymore.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Phillip Hermans

Berkeley, California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2024 1:53 pm    

Jon Jaffe wrote:
I was posting about playing steel in a band, not listening to music. I loved Foxy Lady, but I can’t imagine playing it now. I call songs that I disdain $100 songs. tip the band a C-note and we will play SH Alabama, or P Mary or whatever.

If I am playing steel in a band with good musicians, I am happy to play anything. But then again, I don't really play in many bands that take requests or do Top 40 hits...

It is similar to my rule with jam bands... I don't really want to listen to a jam band, but I'd be happy to play in one!

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2024 3:50 pm    

I’ve experienced this many times. The band decides to do some pop or top 40 country song from the 70s or 80s and I cringe and I wonder… how can they like that song? But when we work it out and play it on stage, it’s a lot of fun! And people really like it. So I’ve come to the conclusion that playing steel guitar on these songs to a live audience makes the songs not only bearable, but enjoyable.

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2024 4:26 pm    

Speaking of "Rose Garden." It was written and first recorded by the great Joe South. He put a Phil Spector type of arrangement on it, and it's great!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH99KTy9sEk

Joe

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2024 5:09 pm    

Well....I've always like Lynn's Rose Garden. MOF, it's on my playlist when I used to do steel shows. I always found it a fun song to play and the audiences seemed to enjoy it too...but what do I know?....anyway, people around here are used to my sideways music interests?

Joe, thanks for the link to the Joe South youtube. I have never heard Joe's rendition nor knew that he was the composer. Glad to get the education.

The meter is a little different but Lynn's melody on her hit is basically the same...just added a middle instrumental part and modulation.

To the topic:
I can't say I've never had a change of mind, but generally my first impression with any new song I hear stays the same, like or dislike. Many times I have to play songs I really can't stand, but I just have to smile and give them the best treatment I can...I mean, that's what we do isn't it?