The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Changing The Pedals “Finally “
Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2024 8:49 am    

I have been going “ back and forth” for nearly a year now about this and I “Finally “ committed myself to making the changes. A steel that I purchased last year came with the Franklin Pedal at the 0 position , Emmons ABC pedals and the E lower on the RKL . Also the Vertical has the G# to B change on it. Another steel that I play a lot has no Franklin and the E’s on the left. I find this arrangement fits my comfort zone the best. So after giving my new steel time (playing exclusively for 3 months) I have finally succumbed to making the changes. I am moving the Franklin pedal to number 4 position, moving the E lower to my LKR and the Vertical to a B to Bb change. I am starting to find some uses for the Franklin pedal so I want to keep that change. I purchased a new “Williams “ SD12 Extended E9 some years ago with the Franklin at the pedal 4 position which seemed the best for me, plus the B to Bb on the vertical. As I want to play both steels at gigs I want to keep the changes the same.

Hopefully now I will be able to sleep a little better..

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2024 9:16 pm    

When playing a steel and thing are going right, Sometimes it seems the player the guitar become one. If the guitar is set up different from the one you usually play. You have to think and make the moves, That is when things can go %^^&&^%%$.

When I went from S E9th steel, To an S12 Universal tuning. I even changed my E knee levers from Left to Right knee. I adapted to them pretty fast. The biggest change with the most work involved, Was going from 10-8-6 grip to 9-8-6, B-E-G# grip, Just moving my thumb 1 string. When I bought a 2nd S 12 Universal. I moved all pedal and knee lever pulls to match my 1st S12 Universal, Except a LKR knee lever I can put changes on to try. If I find a change on that LKR lever I like, I will add that knee lever to my 1st S12 Universal to make them the same setup.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2024 4:25 pm    

Although lowering Es on RKL is historically authentic, I have them on RKR because I play a uni.
I still have the raises on the left knee so that in the A/F position I can drop the third smoothly.

Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2024 4:01 pm    

Reading my post I think it suggested I was making the changes because of the “Williams SD12” . That steel I recently sold, it is to conform with my “Mullen SD10. I want to use the Mullen and my new Show-Pro both for gigs, plus as mentioned I feel more comfortable with the Mullen setup.

Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2024 9:14 am    

“DONE”… I had “Wayne Brown” complete all the pedal and lever changes that I wanted and he did a “Fabulous Job”. All the pulls feel great, Wayne also has a wealth of knowledge in all areas of building steels.

THANKS WAYNE..

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2024 12:40 pm     Changing pedals & Knee Levers

Once a person has the Rodding Chart, for their guitar or one like it, for the Emmons Setup or the Day setup, moving from one to the other, is a lot easier than going at it blind.

One easy way to "take the plunge is to play a guitar that is setup the way you want to play. BUT therein lies the rub. Many players wanna do it like Buddy, even if it means standing on one leg, pushing Knee levers with your Elbows. But playing one, like you think you want, makes the decision very easy.

Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2024 4:00 am     steel guitar parts

No problem Larry I am glad I could help. That was the first time i physically laid eyes on a Sho-Pro. I have to say those are real pretty guitars and well laid out. Lori and I had fun that day, working with you and John coming over to put the Sho-bud through it's paces. And of course all the other guests that were there as well. On another note Lori has come up with a better way to do steel covers and we are just waiting to get some material to help along the build. We are also going to Edmonton this Saturday to pick up another embroidery machine to give her more options as well. Then as requested your Sho-Pro and my Rare wood Steel are going to have pretty new covers.
Thanks
Wayne